Battery error message

Reaction score
I took the P3P I'd bought from eBay last week for a spin today, for the first time. Unfortunately within 3-4 minutes the GO app said 'Battery Error' and was telling me to RTH asap. It was over the sea at the time but fortunately managed to get it back safely. Battery level was still showing as 93%, but I'm not sure what the error was. Is there anywhere in the app that gives more info as to what could've cause this? It was quite cold at the time (6-7 degrees with v cold wind, and I did take it quite high before it threw the error), so could battery temp have been the issue?

thanks
Danny

"Is there anywhere in the app that gives more info as to what could've cause this?"

Read this - scroll down to "Aircraft battery".

Did you fully charge the battery before the flight, did it charge properly, all four LED'S lit and then turn off? 6-7º is not cold for one of these batteries.

DON'T start doing firmware updates - yet.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had a read through that. I didn't check the battery section of the Go app at the time, as was panicking a bit and just focused on getting it down safely. I have since checked the battery section of the app, but unfortunately I can't see the battery voltage or temperature as the values are cropped. I'm using my iPhone XR and guessing that the app isn't 100% optimised for a phone screen, as opposed to a larger tablet screen. The wattages for each cell are all green, but

4ntZgFD.jpg

Presumably that battery section isn't going to show me anything retrospective anyway though? So I would need to fly the P3 again (ideally close to the ground) to see if I can replicate the battery message, then check that battery status screen.

Realistically, given this aircraft and battery could be getting on for 7 years old, I'm guessing it's quite likely that this battery is simply past its sell-by date?

You can upload the flight log to AirData or Phantom Help and get some detailed battery info.

From that picture the battery is in good condition, the cells are balanced.
There may be an issue with using the iPhone XR, Here's a list of compatible devices....

I’ve had this happen on my fan on for pro a few times with a third party battery so I can tell you it’s not Drone it’s the battery there’s a way to reset the battery I think you push it three or four times and hold down each time and it resets the battery probably did research that part of it but you can reset the battery and it seems to help make that go away for a while but it’ll probably come back just keep resetting the battery or you can get a new DGI battery and I’ll probably stop for sure good luck

I’ve had this happen on my fan on for pro a few times with a third party battery so I can tell you it’s not Drone it’s the battery there’s a way to reset the battery I think you push it three or four times and hold down each time and it resets the battery probably did research that part of it but you can reset the battery and it seems to help make that go away for a while but it’ll probably come back just keep resetting the battery or you can get a new DGI battery and I’ll probably stop for sure good luck
Phantom 4 pro, is what I meant to say that’s one of my drones the Mavic drones never do that

If the battery was idle for seven years, as you said, it is very likely that this could be the issue.
The most important parameter for the battery is a voltage drop during the flight. Usually, older batteries show a large voltage drop than newer ones.
You can see this in detail on the Airdata page if you have synched your data to it.

Reactions: brigerdrones
I am amazed the the battery did anything after 7 years of being idle! You need to cycle it a few times, charge/discharge.

If the battery was idle for seven years, as you said, it is very likely that this could be the issue.
The most important parameter for the battery is a voltage drop during the flight. Usually, older batteries show a large voltage drop than newer ones.
You can see this in detail on the Airdata page if you have synched your data to it.
Oh no, sorry I didn't mean the battery was idle for 7 years. I don't know the history of this P3, as I've only just picked it up from eBay. But I know the P3 was released in 2015, so am just surmising that the battery could be getting on for 7 years old, if it's the original one that came with the aircraft. I'm only guessing though. But I did notice that, when fully charged, the charge dropped to 93% within 1-2 minutes of taking off which would seem to suggest a battery in the winter of its life.

Thanks, will try that!

From that picture the battery is in good condition, the cells are balanced.
There may be an issue with using the iPhone XR, Here's a list of compatible devices....

Thanks, that list only goes up to iPhone X, so not sure if it just needs updating or nothing newer than an X is compatible. I think I'll try and pick up a cheap iPad next month anyway 👍

Curious about your username - are you based near Cheddar? The last place I took my P3S before I sold it in 2016 was Cheddar Gorge, managed to get some great footage with it.

Actually, a quick follow-up question that just occurred to me. I had to update the firmware on the drone, as the GO app was telling me that it needed doing. Installed the latest f/w from DJI site. But does the battery firmware need updating too, or would that have happened automatically for the installed battery? Thanks.

Batteries don't like the cold and run time will be affected in severe cold. Was your battery warm when you took off, ie you had it inside your coat until you needed it. I took off once with a cold battery and the P4 had to warm up before it would let me fly.

Batteries don't like the cold and run time will be affected in severe cold. Was your battery warm when you took off, ie you had it inside your coat until you needed it. I took off once with a cold battery and the P4 had to warm up before it would let me fly.

Yeah I have experienced this once or twice on a job site

Battery firmware updates automatically based on the firmware the aircraft is running, no user action is required. Sometimes a battery error can occur from dirty or corroded contacts (the four small pins, not the main power contacts) between the battery and aircraft causing communication errors. Make sure they are clean. If the battery charges normally and the cell voltages are all fairly equal then the battery is likely fine

My p4p was getting a battery error. Checking the flight log I could see where the voltage dropped at one time then corrected. I replaced all flat ribbon cables connecting to the 3 in 1 board. Now I get one "Battery Error" When looking at the flight log it shows no problem at the point where the battery error occurred. When I look at the error section of the flight software, I see one instance of "battery disconnected" then no more. I am using a Galaxy Tab A and a Galaxy S20 5g. I am afraid to fly it other than hovering in my driveway. I am also having trouble attaching the flight log. Maybe from here: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic