Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I haven't done a one-way test with these two antennas unboosted, but I have taken both antennas unboosted out past 40,000 feet.
Will from horizon and Mohan have done tests where they were able to start the P3 remotely from 12 miles away on the ground with the terminator panel, they tried this with the maxx & it wouldn't even start the motors!
Yes, this is the same flight path I did the one-way 19 1/2 mile flight with the terminator boosted. I've been waiting for a chance to do it in the same spot and the winds to be right so it would be a fair test

A reverse suicide run...that is crazy! I remember reading about that on here. I would be more at ease running it to me than away from me. When are you going to try that? ;)

Reactions: seb evans
A reverse suicide run...that is crazy! I remember reading about that on here. I would be more at ease running it to me than away from me. When are you going to try that? ;)
I think those suicide runs from both antennas are all the more tests I need to confirm the winner! I've also done unboosted tests dropping down behind objects with both antennas and I've done return trip tests 10+ miles and back boosted and unboosted with both antennas! So other than posting record-breaking flights there's nothing more I can reveal about these two antennas to help you guys make a decision on which one you would like, they are both excellent antennas. I found the terminator to be a better antenna all around! And I haven't even tested the terminator extreme yet! I can only imagine the terminator extreme will give me perfect signal no matter what I'm doing[emoji41]

i just came back from a flight DIY antenna with 5.8 dbs boosted with my shiny new gold amp upgrade from horizon (Thanks Will.)
so this time I managed to get further than previous 10,400ft same place.
I got 12,121ft and video cut out completely also my control went abit weak is this a good sign there is strong interference t that point and maybe try a different direction?
i could have carried on blind but the sony z1 compact that im temperarily using decided at that point to crash and tell me it had 0% battery lol when just a min earlier it said 75% huh!
i think im going to definately get terminater although im pleased with my results so far, im loving the results that are coming out day after day.HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

i just came back from a flight DIY antenna with 5.8 dbs boosted with my shiny new gold amp upgrade from horizon (Thanks Will.)
so this time I managed to get further than previous 10,400ft same place.
I got 12,121ft and video cut out completely also my control went abit weak is this a good sign there is strong interference t that point and maybe try a different direction?
i could have carried on blind but the sony z1 compact that im temperarily using decided at that point to crash and tell me it had 0% battery lol when just a min earlier it said 75% huh!
i think im going to definately get terminater although im pleased with my results so far, im loving the results that are coming out day after day.HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Seb have you done any mod's to the drone?

but im flying in wooded areas
yea i see that. i went back and seen your video. I was thinking 3000 ft is not far but I'm luck that I have wide open area to fly. the tree's( if you want to call them that) are 20 ft high. I'll fly 4500 ft at 65ft high with my P2.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
Seb have you done any mod's to the drone?
No I've not done anything to the drone yet, I am starting to think about some birdside antennas and if I continue with distance a battery mod "who am I kidding :D I'll definately be doing a battery mod at some point" never ending flying fun and I originally thought the drone a few batts and I'll be sorted lol:eek:

Reactions: phxbird57
No I've not done anything to the drone yet, I am starting to think about some birdside antennas and if I continue with distance a battery mod "who am I kidding :D I'll definately be doing a battery mod at some point" never ending flying fun and I originally thought the drone a few batts and I'll be sorted lol:eek:
Sound like me. ;)

Yeah you got something going on with the mod to the remote or the cables themselves ,rocket! If you're doing the same distance before you did the mod and now you got this kick *** panel and can't get that kind of distance that doesn't add up. If it were me I would first start with cables and then I'd start with a different remote. Something has got to give[emoji41]
Why is the antenna never suspect? I would think if a cable is damaged you wouldn't be getting 15k' distance.
Looks like my problem was a damaged cable in the RC. Installed a new set of cables from @JakeMaxxUAV, and was able to fly to the limit of the battery (at least the limit in 115° F heat!) in the wind with no signal drops at all.

ItElite MaxxRange, Unboosted to 16,100 feet. Phantom 3 Pro.
Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Hey rocket how to you check the cable?? Was it giving you poor range..what were the symptoms??? I think one of my wires in the rc is bad...it did a full rotation..just curious to see how yours acted with the bad wire

Hey rocket how to you check the cable?? Was it giving you poor range..what were the symptoms??? I think one of my wires in the rc is bad...it did a full rotation..just curious to see how yours acted with the bad wire
Still worked, but it just had limited range, compared to the OEM antennas before the mod. The MaxxRange antenna improved range over the 6dBi omnidirectional , and the 10dBi Panel Antenna but nothing like what others were seeing here.

I completely resurrected my crashed P3A. Had to solder the black box back on and solved the annoying data recorder error by changing the 4g micro sd in the black box to a 32g. That's all I had. Installed everything in new plastics, Re-calibrated everything and did a couple of test flights. Then had a look at my new MAXX panel only purchase. I have two remotes. One with DBS panel only and the other with FPVLR V2 with amps. I took the decision to take the FPVLR off the bracket, added two longer bolts on the back of the MAXX with plast-aid (amazing stuff) to align with the size and width of the FPVLR bracket holes, added a piece of polymer board to build it out to clear the power plug for the amp and voila. 23,000 feet to the battery limit without the slightest blip of interference on video or rc signal. It blew through everything that caused the others interference starting at 12,000. I did not try it without the amps but what I have assembled using existing configurations is simply amazing. Thought I would share this in case there is anyone else who has a FPVLR boosted system that would like to try the MAXX panel. Happy to share photos.
EDIT: Thank you Jake....totally happy!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe