Max sustained wind velocity you'll fly in?

Reaction score
I'm not asking what the P4P can handle, but rather, at what wind velocity does the experience of flying become more trouble than it's worth? The short term forecast in my are is for beautiful sunny skies, but the sustained wind speeds are averaging 10mph. I notice more problems with the video feed in higher winds, even though the P4P can handle higher wind velocities like a champ. Thank you in advance.

Interesting timing of this post. Over the past week I've had to bow out of three separate drone shoots because of high wind. For me it's usually about the gusts. I've successfully shot beautiful P4P video in 20ish mph wind with no gusts. Yesterday (as an example) the weather apps all said I was standing in 11 mph wind but the gusts were way too high for safe flight. I also think it depends on the altitude you'll be flying. As we all know, light wind at ground level can turn into much higher wind at 400' AGL.

I'm not asking what the P4P can handle, but rather, at what wind velocity does the experience of flying become more trouble than it's worth? The short term forecast in my are is for beautiful sunny skies, but the sustained wind speeds are averaging 10mph. I notice more problems with the video feed in higher winds, even though the P4P can handle higher wind velocities like a champ. Thank you in advance.

Just a few weeks ago I had to keep a schedule for a client. Weather was cold and breezy. The P4P almost withstood 38mph winds at 200 feet. The wind pushed it off trajectory and held it in place. I have the data from Airdata showing the wind. I wouldnt knowingly put myself and the bird in that situation but at least I now know my line of demarcation.

What’s up with this guys? A year ago I never had these readings or issues and now it’s ever-time I lift off my bird in lite to no wind

Trouble starts when the AC can't fight its way back to home point in sports mode.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Your Phantom won't even notice winds at 10 mph and it will have very little effect on anything to do with the flight.
Wind should have no effect on the liveview.
The Phantom can hold position in winds up around the max speed of the Phantom but launching and landing can be tricky in strong winds.
You can fly in just about any wind strength but the big issue in strong winds is your return flight direction and distance.
A long flight home against a substantial wind (much more than 10 mph) can end badly while it is of no importance if the return flight is short or more with the wind than against it.

What’s up with this guys? A year ago I never had these readings or issues and now it’s ever-time I lift off my bird in lite to no wind
If you are talking about the Strong Wind warnings in the app, DJI added that "feature" a year ago.
It shows when the app detects the Phantom experiencing a wind of 7 metres/sec or more.

If you are talking about the Strong Wind warnings in the app, DJI added that "feature" a year ago.
It shows when the app detects the Phantom experiencing a wind of 7 metres/sec or more.

I got rid of these annoying warnings (See YT hack) and I'm flying more relaxed ever since.
Fact is that any abrupt break while flying ends up in strong winds warning. I don't need this.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Your Phantom won't even notice winds at 10 mph and it will have very little effect on anything to do with the flight.
Wind should have no effect on the liveview.
The Phantom can hold position in winds up around the max speed of the Phantom but launching and landing can be tricky in strong winds.
You can fly in just about any wind strength but the big issue in strong winds is your return flight direction and distance.
A long flight home against a substantial wind (much more than 10 mph) can end badly while it is of no importance if the return flight is short or more with the wind than against it.
Agreed. Just had an awesome day in 10mph winds.

Reactions: geoross
I just got a warning today flying in winds gusting to probably 15mph, that said strong winds fly carefully and land now or something like that. Had never seen that warning before.

I just got a warning today flying in winds gusting to probably 15mph, that said strong winds fly carefully and land now or something like that. Had never seen that warning before.
It doesn't advise you to land now.
It's a 7 metres/sec (15.6 mph) wind that triggers the warning.
That's not a particularly strong wind and the Phantom can easily deal with that (and quite a bit more).
It would only be an issue for a long return flight against the wind.

My maximum is 10 mph at take off, especially if flying at the beach. Yes the craft can take more than that, I have flown in much stronger. But two very important things to consider before flying in stronger winds. Firstly, I want to enjoy the flight, not spend the time fighting to keep her on track. Secondly, as a pilot, over in the U.K. at least, you are required to only fly if it can be done safely. As winds rise, so does the risk. The software I use incorporates that risk into my log, along with the weather forecast. If anything goes wrong I can only blame myself.

Reactions: Ripper7620
If you are comfortable with a hand release and sport mode , 30 mph wind gusts are ok if you have a designated path that you are going to fly, however if your planning on a hover until you decide this can be to risky. At 25 mph you need room to fly and lift quickly if needed. Landing with 25 mph winds is also tricky and it is best you hover and walk if needed to the drone and make the grab when you gusts settle. My biggest mistakes have always been the take offs, this is the RISK , but if you can get a handle on that , the drone speed can tollerate the higher winds, Be prepared that the gimbal my flip some when flying directly towards the wind, best to keep the camera pointed down ward until you position for filming and keep control of the camera as you may need to fight the camera and the wind . Be prepared to fix the horizon on the edit rather than on the drone. If the wind takes the drone at some point , rely on the RTH to do 80 percent of the work, finish up the other 20 percent by cancelling the RTH and bring it down until you can get to the drone on your terms with the wind behind you as you go towards the drone. I never think of filming the chaotic mess it can be by the lake when its windy but I avoid circles at all costs and keep to straight lines or hovers.

67,50 km/h or 42 mph.

Attachments

• Vento.JPG
    Vento.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 341
if the air sock is standing straight out I don't fly.

The velocity just less than the one that inflicts the initially undetectable yet creeping, non-curable damage to my gimbal and flight efficiency quotient.

I set my app to issue not good to fly at 25mph or more. I find the phantom has issues doing still shots at anything over this and mission fights can get a bit erratic also. It's tough as spring and fall is just plain windy. I wonder what people in south dakota do? The wind always blows 50mph there.

Reactions: Jim Canada

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik