High Velocity Wind Warnings

mjw

Reaction score
Using the P4 to inspect a couple of roofs this week, 8-10 mph winds - no big gusts - for the first time the app displayed "High Velocity Wind Warnings" - has the latest P4 firmware lowered velocity tolerances or was it windier than I thought - I have flown in higher winds in the past (15 mph) - any thoughts - I was kinda thinking the wind was being deflected by roof or terrain (one flight was over a lake and cliff - the house was tucked into a cliff) - but its always dangerous when I think

Using the P4 to inspect a couple of roofs this week, 8-10 mph winds - no big gusts - for the first time the app displayed "High Velocity Wind Warnings" - has the latest P4 firmware lowered velocity tolerances or was it windier than I thought - I have flown in higher winds in the past (15 mph) - any thoughts
It's a false alarm that P4p owners have been putting up with for a long time.

Reactions: dfrizzle
High rise buildings also produce high winds / cliff effects. P4P angle must have gone beyond the maximum value raising this alarm. You are the best judge to figure out if there were high wind effect near the roof edges.

I have 2 P4Pro's and both of them display the high wind warning constantly. As soon as I close the warning it pops back up. Annoying and dangerous when using a small screen like an iphone.

This wind warning thing has become really annoying. It pops up every flight and covers the top left corner of my screen. I get these whether it is windy or dead calm. This makes the warning meaningless.

I hope DJI gets around to fixing this soon.

I got one when flying my Mavic yesterday .. given it was gusting 12-15 mph at ground level and probably 20+mph at 50m the warning seemed reasonable and useful.

Reactions: xmtrdr
Using the P4 to inspect a couple of roofs this week, 8-10 mph winds - no big gusts - for the first time the app displayed "High Velocity Wind Warnings" - has the latest P4 firmware lowered velocity tolerances or was it windier than I thought - I have flown in higher winds in the past (15 mph) - any thoughts - I was kinda thinking the wind was being deflected by roof or terrain (one flight was over a lake and cliff - the house was tucked into a cliff) - but its always dangerous when I think
I have gotten the message as well and I take it as a warning and fly more cautiously!

I fly a P4 and since the new update I'm starting to get this warning, on very nice days with winds only about 5MPH on ground.. This the first time i have ever got this warning..I live in Alabama, in the Summer time we don't get much wind, except during storms LOL..

I flew my P4 for the first time since firmware upgrade and got the Wind Warning. I live in Illinois where it is always windy. It flew great..had total control with very little GPS correcting. Guess I will have to put up with the Warning.

It just seems one more thing DJI got less than right with the firmware update. I see it frequently, even in calm conditions.

I had the issue as well, but it went away when I re-did the latest update.
If you have not tried updating again, using DJI Assistant 2 I would suggest trying that.
It worked for me.
Sure hope they fix this soon along with the other myriad of issues the latest release of firmware created ... especially for P4P+ users. Any inkling when they may release the next "fix" firmware update?

DJI really should tweak the threshold of High Wind warnings. I'm still on the previous Phantom 4 firmware version and I never get any wind warning.

Yesterday I flew in some pretty strong winds (for once) but the AC seemed very stable at low altitude. But at higher altitude I noticed that it started to drift a bit, and one gust was so strong that it looks like the AC almost flipped over in the video clip. Still no wind warning. But I ended the flight right there :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
DJI really should tweak the threshold of High Wind warnings. I'm still on the previous Phantom 4 firmware version and I never get any wind warning.

Yesterday I flew in some pretty strong winds (for once) but the AC seemed very stable at low altitude. But at higher altitude I noticed that it started to drift a bit, and one gust was so strong that it looks like the AC almost flipped over in the video clip. Still no wind warning. But I ended the flight right there :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fruxen, just by looking at the trees when you are coming down, personally with that kind of wind I would have never took off with a drone. my 2cents.

Ing.

Fruxen, just by looking at the trees when you are coming down, personally with that kind of wind I would have never took off with a drone. my 2cents.

Ing.

I agree looking at the trees I would have not flown then either.
HOWEVER that looks like the gimble tilting and not the entire drone to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic