Mavic Zoom Lens

Reaction score
I did a search for this here but did not find any info. According to this video the Mavic camera can zoom in on subjects. Here's the review and at 6:44 he goes over the zoom function:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Granted, it is a digital zoom, but in my opinion (if the image quality is good) this is a great feature. Anyone else have more info on this?

It's a digital zoom for 1080p recording - since the sensor is high resolution, it lets you take a center cut for a max of around 2x apparent magnification via pinch-to-zoom in the app. I personally would record in 4k and leave reframing for post, but there is an argument for spreading your 60mbps over fewer pixels using the zoom, if it works that way

...to be clear, while there is a moving lens element for focus, there is no optical zoom.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is the same "lossless" digital zoom technique that's supported in the Phantom 4 (with IOS devices only). It simply crops the 4K sensor when recording in 1080P. Since it's an internal sensor crop, the quality of the video is rather good. The advantage to flying while using the digital zoom (in 1080 mode) is you CAN SEE the target better WHILE FLYING. If you can see things better while flying, this can certainly influence where you fly and loiter, since you can see better during flight. This is especially helpful for SAR and Inspection operations. The zoom is not smooth like an optical zoom. It's somewhat jerky as you zoom in and out the zoom level. So these zoom in an out time periods need to be edited out in post, because they just look bad, too jerky. With practice you'll learn how to zoom in and out very fast with your "pinch and spread" technique, so it instantly goes from 1X to 2X and you see no graduations in between.

Last edited:
Does the Mavic record 1080p in 60mbit as well? Everything?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31