Making my P3P drone less obvious at customs

Reaction score
Hi flyers:

In a few months I'll be visiting a third world country which does not yet have a fixed policy about allowing tourists personal use drones like the Phantom 3 Pro. Arriving baggage is x rayed and there are reports of many people getting in without issue and others of people having theirs confiscated or held at customs due to the unique ex ray profile of the Phantom. It's pretty arbitrary. Once in the country there are few barriers to flying as long as you are sensible. The question is how to get it through customs?

I've considered a BeBop parrot for the trip because it has a far smaller and less identifiable profile, but the consensus seems to be it shoots a lousy 1080 picture and has a poor wi-fi range thus defeating the purpose of shooting great videos. Is there a better drone which doesn't look so.....drone-like when packed and yet is still "professional" quality?

I'm really happy with my P3P and would much prefer to take it, but it just seems impossible to disguise. Has anyone come up with any sort of solution for going low profile through customs? Pack it sideways? Surround it with toiletries?

Also does anyone know of a highly reliable website which rates the actual hassles of bringing a drone in, both the laws and on the ground (in the air) issues? I've been to the Home | UAV Systems International site and it's good but seems more geared to selling drones than offering in depth testimonial advice.

Thanks for any response you can offer.

Rick

Thanks. Yes, I have traveled to the UK, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Europe with my drone in carry on and I've just been upfront and it has always been passed in. I am not sure this is the case in the African country I'll be visiting.

Reactions: railimages
The US military gave some Phantom 3's to people in Africa. I saw a snipped on an ABC news clip on the web. They were using them to help get intelligence on guerilla fighters or something like that.

You might not be pleased if your Phantom is confiscated. Might be better to get a lesser drone for the trip. With that being said I have read (on this very PHANTOM forum no less) of some people who seem to LOVE their Bebop drones.
P3A 1st flight - observations from a Bebop 2 pilot

Or take something more attractive than your drone ? Can it be ? :)

....or you're standing there while they are taking it apart, looking for something. But whatever you do, don't try to hide or disguise it. Take it from a ATP pilot, that's the worst thing you could do. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj