Major frustration trying to get my Phantom 3 Standard flying

-Turn both the controller and drone on
-Turn on WI-FI on the phone
-Connect phone wifi to controller (green light on controller)
-Start DJI app
-If the "camera" option is on, your phone is connected to the controller and you're ready

Warning message comes up when you tap start, when setting up the controls of controller. This won’t let you go through the sequences of both controls. (Frustrating)

My P3P controller comes as a standard with 12341234 which the prev owner changed to something else.
A P3P controller does not use wifi that way. Are you sure that you dont have a P34k and a GL358wB controller?

Reactions: P3P
Hi P3P
My controller is a GL.358wA photos off side of box & drone P3 standard The (AU) represents Australia. Even though I live in New Zealand some goods arrive via Australia.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_143238.jpg
    IMG_20190121_143238.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_20190121_142915.jpg
    IMG_20190121_142915.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_20190121_144225.jpg
    IMG_20190121_144225.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,111
Major progress on my end. I am now able to enter the desired WIFI with the Tab A. Since it is only about 10 degrees outside and the wind is blowing I will have to wait for another day or so before trying to get it into the air. I think this may work out after all. Time to go shopping for prop guards, extra props, gimbal mounts, extra batteries, and maybe a back pack.

Reactions: Oso
My controller is a GL.358wA photos off side of box & drone P3 standard The (AU) represents Australia. Even though I live in New Zealand some goods arrive via Australia.

DJI is in a partnership with apple and dji don’t really like Android because it’s opened sourced software (open) to hacking etc You imagine being on the field with your brand-new mavic air and I come along and fly just the same distance as you with my phantom 3 std firmware hacked using a Android phone of some sort and in regards to what ram your device has I’m not sure as I’ve used a iPhone 4s up to my current iPhone witch is a iPhone 6s Plus with little to no problems one thing I will say I know from experience is whatever phone you have turn off auto updates to dji go app they have an habit of messing them up from time to time and get your head round RTH function it will save your bird one day

Speaking of Apple and dji, for whatever stupid reason I recorded some clients footage in mov. format last night.
What a cockup. No matter what software I use the footage is unusable.
I can only open it on my missus MacBook which is another pos.

For my P3S I use a Nexus 7" 2nd gen tablet and it works great.

Samsung tabs and phones are iffy. My wife and I both have our own Samsung S4 phones, mine is loaded with extra aps, hers has none. We both loaded DJI GO4 to fly our Mavic, it works great with my phone and not at all with hers. Bizarre.

I have successfully been using a Galaxy S5, without a simm card, as a stand-alone device. Whenever I used it with someone else's P3Std drone, I had to use the 12341234 code to get it to work. HOWEVER, when I test cameras, every now and then, I get no wifi and have to re"link" the controller to the drone. This happens more often than with any of the other P3 models.

Back to OP, yes, DJI-GO is very RAM hungry and I was advised that the minimum one should go for is 2Gb. Not having a lot of spare cash for what is, after all, a hob by, I ended up buying a Lenovo Tab 3 8" TB3-850F Android Quad Core 1.3Ghz 2 GB 16 GB. I has the required 2Gb but even with this, when flying, the video on the screen can be jerky but the resultant video file from the SD card is smooth. RAM is vital IMO!!

I've never been asked for a password, just fired up the control unit with the Tab on it, switched on the drone and they sync every time, so far!

DJI is in a partnership with apple and dji don’t really like Android because it’s opened sourced software (open) to hacking etc You imagine being on the field with your brand-new mavic air and I come along and fly just the same distance as you with my phantom 3 std firmware hacked using a Android phone of some sort and in regards to what ram your device has I’m not sure as I’ve used a iPhone 4s up to my current iPhone witch is a iPhone 6s Plus with little to no problems one thing I will say I know from experience is whatever phone you have turn off auto updates to dji go app they have an habit of messing them up from time to time and get your head round RTH function it will save your bird one day
IMHO, iOS is only marginally more secure. I think I has to do with the fact that developing for iOS ends up to be less work than for Android and before I catch flak for that (I actually prefer Android myself), let me explain: there is exactly one iOS. Yes, there are versions, but essentially, one iOS and it's built by Apple. With Android, there are so many different variants out there, not to mention versions. Sure, 2 phones may both have Android 8.0, but the device manufacturers tweak Android to their liking. In addition, only Apple makes the iPhone/iPad and yes, there are different versions, but consider this: As of 2015, there were over 24,000 different Android devices from over 1,300 different manufacturers. Can you imagine what those numbers are now? It's FAR EASIER to develop an app to work on one manufacturer's devices than it is to make sure it works on 1,300.

TL;DR
iOS is included on devices manufactured by one company. Android is included on devices manufactured by over 1,300 companies. It's far easier develop an app for a device made by one manufacturer than it is for 1,300.

Back to OP, yes, DJI-GO is very RAM hungry and I was advised that the minimum one should go for is 2Gb. Not having a lot of spare cash for what is, after all, a hob by, I ended up buying a Lenovo Tab 3 8" TB3-850F Android Quad Core 1.3Ghz 2 GB 16 GB. I has the required 2Gb but even with this, when flying, the video on the screen can be jerky but the resultant video file from the SD card is smooth. RAM is vital IMO!!

I've never been asked for a password, just fired up the control unit with the Tab on it, switched on the drone and they sync every time, so far!
I would recommend changing your password though. If you're using the default still, it's very easy to figure it out and then anyone can connect to your drone. I would imagine doing so might make it possible for them to change the home point to their location, initiate return-to-home and then, when it lands, make if with your quad. Either that, or change the return-to-home altitude to a lower value and initiate the return-to-home, causing your quad to collide with something. I don't know for certain if this is possible, but by changing my password, I won't ever have to find out the hard way.

Speaking of Apple and dji, for whatever stupid reason I recorded some clients footage in mov. format last night.
What a cockup. No matter what software I use the footage is unusable.
I can only open it on my missus MacBook which is another pos.
You can try installing OSX in a virtual machine. Basically, you install a program called VirtualBox or VMWare. It is a program that sets aside a portion of your hard-drive and then treats it like a separate computer... a virtual computer. You can actually install just about any operating system in it. For your purpose, just install macOS on that virtual computer. Now, whenever you need to run Apple applications (such as QuickTime in your case), you would just run VirtualBox and then choose the macOS virtual computer you created. There are several tutorials online to help you out.

Keep in mind, you're not limited to just one virtual computer. My real computer runs Windows 10 and I was using VMWare. At one point, I had Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and about 7 different versions of Linux installed on virtual computers. I ran them all at the same time too.

Keep in mind that when you set it up, you will basically tell it to reserve some of your RAM to operate so if you run, say, 6 different virtual computers (AKA virtual machines or VMs) at the same time and each set up to use 2 gigabytes of RAM, your actual computer will need 12 gigabytes of RAM (2 GB x 6 VMs) plus what your real computer's operating system needs (let's say it needs 4 GB). That means you need 16 GB of RAM in your real computer.

TL;DR

Run macOS in a virtual machine installed on Windows to be able to use QuickTime... to allow you to view MOV files.

Reactions: P3P
I had some trouble when I first tried to connect my android phone and tablet to my Phantom 3 Standard as well. I had to turn off cellular data on my phone and tablet (both are LTE capable and have data plans). After that the drone connected without issue.

I primarily use an iPad Mini 2 now for flying and I haven't had any trouble with that and cellular data being turned on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31