Main Board Surface Mount Component Problem

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, first time poster. I crashed my drone pretty badly. Not sure if gimble and camera are OK, appear to be. But I broke one of the 2.4G Wifi cables and the gimbal mount. I purchased replacement parts and disassembled last night. I found out all 4 screws that hold the main board on have broken (the place where the screws thread into, I think on the battery housing) Anyway, I notice a small surface mount switch that has broken off the main board. I am pretty sure it is the WiFi reset button. Does anyone know if it is possible to reattach this with some sort of conductive superglue? (not even sure that's a thing) Do I need to replace the entire board? Appreciate any insight. Frustrated as I've only flown the drone maybe 10 times and crashed it 3 times! This was the worst one though, fell about 20 feet to asphalt. I need to find some open area! (assuming I can get it flying again!)

Thanks!

I broke one of the 2.4G Wifi cables and the gimbal mount. I purchased replacement parts and disassembled last night. I found out all 4 screws that hold the main board on have broken (the place where the screws thread into, I think on the battery housing)

Post your drone pic.

I notice a small surface mount switch that has broken off the main board. I am pretty sure it is the WiFi reset button.

a picture would help.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reattach this with some sort of conductive superglue? (not even sure that's a thing)

You can't. It isn't. Superglue is a trademark of cyanoacrylate glue.

Do I need to replace the entire board?

How would we know?

Here are some pics of the componet and the board. I have the drone apart, I
20180227_154125.jpg
20180227_153915.jpg
20180227_153852.jpg
20180227_154125.jpg
20180227_152234.jpg
20180227_154125.jpg
20180227_152234.jpg
can take.specific pics if needed.

can take.specific pics if needed.

I don't think there's a need, these are good quality.

The microswitch doesn't seem to be damaged, so you can re-solder it. You will need soldering station - not hot air, just the standard one. You can also ask any repair shop to do that for you. Orientation of the microswitch doesn't matter, so you can't really solder it incorrectly.

Also note, this part is not needed for normal work of the board. This means you can test the board without the microswitch. If it doesn't work, then there is another problem somewhere.

Reactions: Oso

The microswitch doesn't seem to be damaged, so you can re-solder it. You will need soldering station - not hot air, just the standard one. You can also ask any repair shop to do that for you. Orientation of the microswitch doesn't matter, so you can't really solder it incorrectly.

Also note, this part is not needed for normal work of the board. This means you can test the board without the microswitch. If it doesn't work, then there is another problem somewhere.
Paint

Thanks for the help! I have soldering irons, but not anything that can do this type of micro work. I will find a shop that can solder it on for me.

You crashed 3 times out of total 10 flights. Not good statistics. How did you manage to crash and not learn from previous mistakes?

You crashed 3 times out of total 10 flights. Not good statistics. How did you manage to crash and not learn from previous mistakes?
Outstanding question. First crash was flying too fast and too low, couldn’t react quick enough. Second crash, I had added prop guards, cheap ones, the drone did not fly the same, I was trying to inspect something on my roof, it to close...prop guards didn’t help at all. Third crash, bad decision, low light, was decending and was, again, too close and clipped my house, issues with my depth perception. If I get this drone back in the air, I am going to be ultra careful and fly in more open areas.

Way Way Way too many new drone owners THINK oh i can fly now im not a noobie No more I need to take it out of beginner mode....yes Thats when we read all about a bad crash that cracked this and that......when you leave beginner mode......Speed gos way way UP and hit will hit trees and concrete and the ground much much harder....Gain good flight controls experience THEN take it out of Beginner mode and fly with care and easy............................. on.... the... flight..... controls ! These BIg drones are Not Toys.......toy ones cost $50.00 !

I don't think beginner mode would have helped in this case. For the P3, that only limits distance and height.

I don't think beginner mode would have helped in this case. For the P3, that only limits distance and height.
Hummmmmmmmm My horizontal speed in still air went to slightly over 30 mphs.....when i was in beginner mode.....it was less then 20 mphs in still air. Some new drone owners really need to keep it close thought and yep your right his fell "straight down"....no mode would have helped with less damage to be drone...gravity rules !

Last edited:
So, I soldered the reset switch to the board. I believe that resets the linkage between the controller and drone, over the 5.8G connections. I replaced both 2.4G antennas and appear to be connected to the camera board correctly. When I start everything up, I can control the drone fine, but I am not receiving any telemetry data or camera signal, no picture. I reset the SSID and password, still nothing on the app. I am guessing I have an issue on the camera board since that is where the 2.4G signal is transmitted from on the P3S. Does anyone know if that ribbon cable carries the 2.4G signal? I assume they are only for the camera control. They do not appear to be damaged, but I need to disassemble to be sure. When you replace the 2.4G antennas, is there anything that needs to be reset? I can control the camera angle and opetarate the drone from the remote, just nothing on the app.

I believe that resets the linkage between the controller and drone, over the 5.8G connections.

AFAIK, this triggers link mode: When triggered on both the aircraft and RC, it will link both radio channels.

When I start everything up, I can control the drone fine, but I am not receiving any telemetry data or camera signal, no picture. [...] I am guessing I have an issue on the camera board since that is where the 2.4G signal is transmitted from on the P3S.

Either that or it's a linking problem.

Does anyone know if that ribbon cable carries the 2.4G signal?
No idea which is "that ribbon cable", but assuming you did not mistaken the type - no, this type of cable can't handle more than 200MHz even for simple transmission, and it is never used for high frequency modulated signals. We use coaxial for these.

When you replace the 2.4G antennas, is there anything that needs to be reset?
No.
Though starting a drone without antennas connected can fry the end stage amplifier.

AFAIK, this triggers link mode: When triggered on both the aircraft and RC, it will link both radio channels.
No.
Though starting a drone without antennas connected can fry the end stage amplifier.

I guess I could have fried on of the amplifiers as the grey cable to the one antenna broke, but I did not energize the drone without the other antenna connected My understanding is that I would still see telemetry data in the app with just a single antenna. Any ideas? Guessing I would have to replace the board to troubleshoot?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20