low battery landing...tipped over-did I hurt anything?

Reaction score
Hi,
This is a 2 part question. I got a little too cocky today and let my battery get to 22%. I guess I missed the first red light warning because suddenly the rear red lights started flashing quickly..I tried to land but the Phantom CLIMBED to about 30 feet and I had NO CONTROL...I supposed it was going to self-land, but I switched to ATTI mode to land on my own. I guess I panicked because I brought it down too fast and when it touched down it tipped to the rear.and the Props kept spinning even though they were "scuffing the dirt" while I was powering down. The prop DID NOT jam before the motors stopped. The edges look like they were slightly sanded down, but no other damage..Also the motors DO seem to spin freely when I spin prop by hand. (power off, of course).
How can I be sure I didn't hurt the motors or ESC (as I have read about happening on this forum)? Should I replace the props even though they look pretty much the same (SEE PIC).
Also why did the phantom climb even though I was trying to bring it down (in GPS mode)?
Thanks so much.
Steve

Attachments

• scuffed props.jpg
    scuffed props.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 388
Hook the P2 to the software then check to see if you checked the go home box in the battery level warning threshold. If so I would uncheck it.

Thanks for the reply. I looked and it is checked...Why wouldn't I want it to go home on low battery signal? ..It didn't seem to go home but to climb on critical warning..which it doesn't seem you can check anything for. Thanks for the clarification to come...:)

Thanks for the reply. I looked and it is checked...Why wouldn't I want it to go home on low battery signal? ..It didn't seem to go home but to climb on critical warning..which it doesn't seem you can check anything for. Thanks for the clarification to come...:)

For one simple reason what if you were under something when RTH was triggered because of a low battery. Is that enough reason?

Good point...thank you again..
Any thought as to if there is any damage and how to check...Motors spinning ok...props just scuffed on the edges..
Thanks again for the help!
Steve

I believe you can change the level at which the low battery RTH kicks in. If you have it set too low, if you get to the point that the low battery RTH kicks in, and your P2 is some distance away, chances are that it won't have enough battery power left to make it all the way back and will drop out of the sky whilst returning. The alternative is to just land when you get to the low battery limit. The downside of that is that if it is over water or some other undesirable feature at the time, the last thing you want it to do is land.

As for the climbing when going in to RTH mode, there is a default height that the P2 will go to before actually returning to home. The idea is that it will then be above any obstacles between it's current location and home. If it is below that height when the RTH kicks in, then the first thing it will do is climb to get to that minimum altitude.

Good point...thank you again..
Any thought as to if there is any damage and how to check...Motors spinning ok...props just scuffed on the edges..
Thanks again for the help!
Steve

Steve if you do not have FPV it would be a good an safe investment to have. Since it came hard to be on the safe side connect your P2 to the assistant software and do an advanced IMU calibration on a level surface and you should go to go. If there are no necks in any of those props i wouldn't worry just go fly.

If you are flying in phantom mode S1 does not have an ATTI in the center position even though the markings say ATTI. The only way to have ATTI on S1 is to switch from Phantom to Naza-M then S1 would be configured GPS, ATTI and Manual or Failsafe depending in how you set it up in the software.

Last edited:
Check if any of the motors get noticably hotter than the others, specfically the motors that were tipped on.

Friend had a tip off and while the motors were fine and had no issues both of the motors (that the quad tipped on) were much much hotter than the other 2..

There were no negative affects, yet, other than the motors running much hotter, but who knows what would of happened if it had it been left..

My mate actually had the 2 motors repaired under warranty as he took it back to the local DJI dealer (local hobby shop)... he failed to mention the tip over which is why it was covered under warranty :p motors are like $20-30 so not a big deal to buy new ones if you suspect anything... good investment really... i.e spend $30/motor or risk your $1000+ quad.

Also not sure of how familiar with you are with the Phantoms, but might be worth taking the top cover/lid off and checking make sure the mosfets (6 little square things) on the ESC are all fine and not discoloured/burnt out...

ESC are also $20-30 so another worthy investment for the price.

Plus if you are in Australia I can do a great deal on some brand new ESC :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20