Lost Signal twice

Reaction score
I was flying today and went up about 200 feet and lost all signal ,video feed and control, I was given the option to return to home which I did and the P4 lowered straight down which thankfully It was directly over me over grass, I regained connection but no video feed about ten feet off ground and then hand caught. Right before that I flew my Mavic Pro with zero issues. I drove to another location about 20 miles away and while flying about 100 feet up and 50 feet away I lost video feed but still had control. I flew back to me and hand caught. I took off again and flew around, not very far because now I'm nervous and everything seemed fine. Any ideas why? Or a good place for me to start looking to figure out what might be going on? I don't know if I should mention but while checking UAV Forecast it said not safe to fly due to KP being too high around 6 and 7, not sure if that could cause it since the Mavic had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Flying directly above is the worst possible orientation for signal strength, this is very common and expected. See how Fay you can travel horizontally.
Ok I'll remember that. Any other reason why it would happen at the second location also?

Get an GO app before the Mavic was introduced. Will fix your problems.

I agree since the releases for the Mavic... the Phantom Go App experience has suffered. DJI Staff don't seem to follow this forum at all so I suggest everyone get on the OFFICIAL DJI FORUMS and complain about the issue there also... there is not near the traffic or complaints there as I see here, so they are only seeing random reports not the full on problem with Phantom Experience since latest upgrades we see here in this forum.

Scroll to the bottom for versions prior to 3.0 for what appears to be a less painful phantom experience.
DJI GO APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com

Mavic was released to work with GO app 3.0.0. Since Mavic DOES NOT have a dedicated RC controller, you use your tablet, pad, phone, flip phone, abacus to control the Mavic and the communication protocol is Wi-Fi and NOT light bridge as is for Phantom. Since DJI is *** bent to keep ALL the drones and OSMO on the same GO app (OSMO and Mavic work on Wi-Fi) there is an HD (video downlink) decode problem and you lose video. I found that by turning OFF the ENABLE HARDWARE DECODING will fix the video loss problem.

I really hate the new DJI GO app 3.0.0

Since Mavic DOES NOT have a dedicated RC controller, you use your tablet, pad, phone, flip phone, abacus to control the Mavic and the communication protocol is Wi-Fi and NOT light bridge as is for Phantom.
Really? I read the Mavic does have a controller, with ocu-sync, which appears to be better than lightbridge, based on specs, with less latency and more distance.

Wi-Fi operation is optional with your phone, with very limited range, likely 150' is my guess. Wi-Fi mode is mainly for selfies. If the OP was using it in Wi-Fi mode, this is operator error, you shouldn't expect more than 100 or 200' range, that's what I've heard anyway. Need to use the dedicated RC for good range, and flip it to RC mode.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Yes it has a hybrid controller that needs a phone to slip in for Wi-Fi communication (at least this what I was told by local dealer). By whatever means of drone communications it has, after the introduction of it and GO app 3.0.0 out P4 got screwed.

- New OcuSync transmission system offers up to 4.3 miles (7km) of transmission range.
(need to see specs and bandwidth to believe it. DJI can call it whatever they want, it still operates on Wi-Fi band)
- Fly by Phone over Wi-Fi for even easier flight
mav.PNG

Reactions: With The Birds
I was flying today and went up about 200 feet and lost all signal ,video feed and control, I was given the option to return to home which I did and the P4 lowered straight down which thankfully It was directly over me over grass, I regained connection but no video feed about ten feet off ground and then hand caught. Right before that I flew my Mavic Pro with zero issues. I drove to another location about 20 miles away and while flying about 100 feet up and 50 feet away I lost video feed but still had control. I flew back to me and hand caught. I took off again and flew around, not very far because now I'm nervous and everything seemed fine. Any ideas why? Or a good place for me to start looking to figure out what might be going on? I don't know if I should mention but while checking UAV Forecast it said not safe to fly due to KP being too high around 6 and 7, not sure if that could cause it since the Mavic had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
When did you get a Mavic?

Yes it has a hybrid controller that needs a phone to slip in for Wi-Fi communication (at least this what I was told by local dealer). By whatever means of drone communications it has, after the introduction of it and GO app 3.0.0 out P4 got screwed.

- New OcuSync transmission system offers up to 4.3 miles (7km) of transmission range.
(need to see specs and bandwidth to believe it. DJI can call it whatever they want, it still operates on Wi-Fi band)
- Fly by Phone over Wi-Fi for even easier flight
View attachment 67762
It shares the 2.4Ghz band with Wi-Fi users. It's important to differentiate DJI devices that are not Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi protocols take another 30 to 60 seconds to connect because of all of the tcpip handshake protocols. Lightbridge does not. I assume ocu-sync to be fast too, like Lightbridge. This is not only while on the ground, reconnecting while flying takes longer with Wi-Fi too, and often the video won't reconnect until you get the craft a lot closer, hence RTH is more common to get reconnected. This is exactly why I don't like Yuneec products. Been there, done that.

Mavic was released to work with GO app 3.0.0. Since Mavic DOES NOT have a dedicated RC controller, you use your tablet, pad, phone, flip phone, abacus to control the Mavic and the communication protocol is Wi-Fi and NOT light bridge as is for Phantom. Since DJI is *** bent to keep ALL the drones and OSMO on the same GO app (OSMO and Mavic work on Wi-Fi) there is an HD (video downlink) decode problem and you lose video. I found that by turning OFF the ENABLE HARDWARE DECODING will fix the video loss problem.

I really hate the new DJI GO app 3.0.0

Mavic doesn't have a dedicated controller? I think you need to do some fact checking, both on that statement, and your reference to comm protocol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.