Lost my P3A and I'm devastated.

For obvious reasons, I will not go into details about the problems with drone flyovers, but they are a real concern. I will say that the airspace over nuclear facilities is restricted and small airplanes, including Cessnas, are not allowed to linger over any nuclear facility without permission and even large commercial jets have rules about flights near nuclear plants. We occasionally experience flyovers by military and police aircraft, and even local power company craft, but we always have advanced warnings with a description and even tail numbers. Any unusual or unexpected actions by manned aircraft would prompt a reaction by us and other authorities. I cannot, and will not, go any further in this discussion.

As far as payloads, I was not talking about Phantoms in particular. Larger, stronger uavs are being built every day, some of them more than capable of delivering sizable payloads.

I really didn't mean to start discussing security at nuke plants, I really just wanted to bring another view into the discussion of geofences and other means of keeping drones out of sensitive airspace.

Did I miss something? Did he fly over a nuclear power plant? Is this in the right thread?:confused:

Quick back story. I had owned the P3A for about 2 weeks prior to taking it with me on vacation to the White Mountains in NH. I had flown my P3S on several Litchi missions before this and purchased the A as an upgrade for the trip. I upgraded the firmware on the AC, Controller as well as all 3 batteries. I am running the latest IOS software as well as the latest Litchi. I flew several manual missions out to about 1500' and 2-300 feet altitude with no issues. The day before I flew the mission I noticed I had one episode where it kept saying disconnected randomly even though the controller was next to the P3A on the ground. I powered everything down. Powered it back up, did an IMU cal on a perfectly level surface and a compass cal and everything seemed fine after that.
I built a Litchi mission that was approx 2 miles in total length with the AC being 2300' away at its farthest point and 300' AGL. I loaded the mission with no issues. Initiated a takeoff, started the mission and all was going well till the AC was about 2100' out. At this point I instantly lost both video feed as well as it saying AC disconnected, even though it showed the radio at 47% signal strength. Video feed was zero. I lost all data from the AC. Although the AC was OOS just beyond the pines I quicklly flipped the controller on and off hoping to connect again. Nothing. It was a 10 minute mission so I waited, hoping it would return in about the 6 minutes it had left. After 30 minutes of waiting and my wife cursing at me I gave up hope. I spent the next 9 hours driving and hiking hoping for any sign of it. I hoped it had gone down where someone might find it and call me as it has a sticker with my FAA Number as well as my cell number. So far nothing. I am devastated.

ANY idea what may have caused this? Any way to find out or retrieve the logs? After I returned home this past saturday I have been consumed with reading to see if I could figure out what happened. Being honest I am concerned about ordering another as the fly away issue seems fairly prevalent with the DJi's. Perhaps I should make the move to an Autel and sell off the extra Phantom equipment I have.
I have found that the "disconnected" is a tablet issue, I had it happen till I got a good tablet. what I did was push the RTH only once! let the bird come back, wait about 10 min and the bird will bring its feathers back home!!
Also a out of sequence boot up will also cause the "Disconnected" problem. I boot up in this order. 1, RC, 2, app 3, then the bird. never had a problem.

I have found that the "disconnected" is a tablet issue, I had it happen till I got a good tablet. what I did was push the RTH only once! let the bird come back, wait about 10 min and the bird will bring its feathers back home!!
Also a out of sequence boot up will also cause the "Disconnected" problem. I boot up in this order. 1, RC, 2, app 3, then the bird. never had a problem.

Unfortunately I was on my IPhone 6sPlus so it is t a tablet issue. I also use the same order for boot up and never had an issue. Till this flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My condolences, I agree 100%, that I would have rather crashed it myself. At least you would have closure. I read the messages here quite often. From what I have read Litchi = uncertainty. Also, for me the fun of flying the thing is flying the thing.

Small_MDF_Logo_for_Blog_Posts.png

YouTube: Miami Drone Flights

My condolences, I agree 100%, that I would have rather crashed it myself. At least you would have closure. I read the messages here quite often. From what I have read Litchi = uncertainty. Also, for me the fun of flying the thing is flying the thing.

Small_MDF_Logo_for_Blog_Posts.png

Many people here use Litchi as primary app for flying "normal", non-mission flights and I haven't seen many (or any) software related problems or crashes reported. When you use Litchi for more complex fights or missions, which Go app can't even do, there are many other things beside stable app you must take into consideration to complete it without incident. When all data is available after crash while using Litchi, I can't remember a single incident on this forum which was related to app itself. Did you read about them somewhere else?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

did your maps running in background, like on the go ap not leave a trace of where you've flown and where it all ended, so you could search precisely there? I always have this record when I fly, a great tool

did your maps running in background, like on the go ap not leave a trace of where you've flown and where it all ended, so you could search precisely there? I always have this record when I fly, a great tool

You didn't read the whole thread, I can tell.

yes Im sorry I haven't read it all, why briefly did this not work? as it flew off with no app working?

yes Im sorry I haven't read it all, why briefly did this not work? as it flew off with no app working?

e5d44d343aa8e239d659e296e93aee15_thumb.jpg

As you can see I do have a "map" for the mission and also the point at which I lost total communication and control and video with the AC. As I said above, I searched the whole area at the last known point of the mission to no avail. At this point I feel
It was a loss of comm/failure with a drone that could be anywhere within an area that falls within the distance that the batteries went critical or it hit something it wasn't high enough to clear. At the point I lost comm it should have been ascending to a flight level of 300'. I'll never know what I has done at this point. All the "maps" in the world won't help. The only thing that may have helped would have been a high power GPS tracking device. Unfortunately they are cost prohibitive and in some of the terrain around the area of my property couldn't be reached without an ATV/4WD and or property owners permission.
All I have left are spare parts and some great photos[emoji17]
bb909aff5b89ae5ac2ef2644b44d7cf2_thumb.jpg
f9db7ac4f6760d7efe3fcfdcfb4ea217_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

thanks for replying i understand, at least it wasn't your fault, faulty battery, who knows, the best search tool would be another UAV.
I had last year a new X380, flew well but would never calibrate properly only half, one day it just flew off out to sea with a new sport cam on it, I was annoyed, but next day bought the phantom standard 3, have had the 4k, now the 3P, all been ultra reliable returning back if loosing signal. Im looking at the output power from all the TXs sais the inspire is 9w the P3P/A 1.3 and the standard 300mah.
and also see this, as Im in europe it must on software installation knowing where you are so output power is reduced in Europe, I wonder what would happen if you told it you were in the US...
Maximum Transmitting Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant

here some TX output comparisons, the inspire output sais 9w and the P3P sais 1.3, the standard 300mah
does the inspire really have that much more output power?! they both claim 5km
REMOTE CONTROLLER
Name C1
Operating Frequency 922.7~927.7 MHz (Japan Only)
5.725~5.825 GHz
2.400~2.483 GHz
Maximum Transmitting Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant
EIRP 10dBm@900m, [email protected], [email protected]
Video Output Port USB, mini-HDMI
Power Supply Built-in battery
Charging DJI charger
Dual User Capability Host-and-Slave connection
Mobile Device Holder Tablet or Phone
Max Mobile Device Width 170mm
Output Power 9 W
Operating Temperature Range -10° to 40° C
Storage Temperature Range Less than 3 months: -20° to 45° C
More than 3 months: 22° to 28° C
Charging Temperature Range 0-40° C
Battery 6000 mAh LiPo 2S
Yes output power too is 4 times that of non lightbridge, which is why it has a bigger battery, its all here and of course the frequency is 5.75 ghz on non light bridge and 2.4ghz on light bridge ones, power on 4 the output is a bit more 23db
  • FCC: 23 dBm
  • CE: 17 dBm
Voltaje de Funcionamiento 1.2 A @7.4 V

Phantom 3 standard
MANDO DE CONTROL REMOTO
Frecuencia 5.725 GHz-5.825 GHz, 922.7 MHz-927.7 MHz (Japón)
Distancia Máxima FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (En el exterior y sin obstáculos, altitud de vuelo 120m)
Temperatura de Funcionamiento de 0°C a 40°C
Batería 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmisor de Potencia (PIRE)
  • FCC: 19 dBm
  • CE: 14 dBm
Voltaje de Funcionamiento 600 mA @ 3.7V
Voltaje de Funcionamiento 300 mA @7.4 V
BATERÍA DE VUELO INTELIGENTE
Capacidad 4480 mAh
Voltaje 15.2 V
Tipo de Batería LiPo 4S
Energía 68 Wh
Peso Neto 365 g
Temperatura de Funcionamiento de -10°C a 40°C
Potencia de Carga Máx. 100 W

4k phantom
MANDO DE CONTROL REMOTO
Frecuencia
  • 5.725 GHz-5.825 GHz
  • 922.7 MHz-927.7 MHz (Japón)
Distancia Máxima
  • FCC: 1200m
  • CE: 500m (sin obstáculos ni interferencias, 120m sobre el punto de despegue)
Batería 2600 mAh LiPo18650 2S
Soporte para Dispositivo Móvil Para tableta o teléfono móvil
  • FCC: 19 dBm
  • CE: 14 dBm
Voltaje de Funcionamiento 300 mA @7.4 V
Capacidad 4480 mAh
Voltaje 15.2 V
Tipo de Batería LiPo 4S
Energía 68 Wh
Peso Neto 365 g

phantom 3p

MANDO DE CONTROL REMOTO
Frecuencia 2.400 GHz-2.483 GHz
Distancia Máxima Hasta 5 km ó 3.1 millas (sin obstáculos ni interferencias) Según normas FCC. Hasta 3.5 km ó 2.1 millas (sin obstáculos ni interferencias) Según normas CE
Batería 6000 mAh LiPo 2S
  • FCC: 20 dBm
  • CE: 16 dBm
Capacidad 4480 mAh
Voltaje 15.2 V
Tipo de Batería LiPo 4S
Energía 68 Wh
Peso Neto 365 g

phantom 4

MANDO DE CONTROL REMOTO
Frecuencia 2.400 GHz - 2.483 GHz
Distancia Máxima Según normas FCC: 5 km (3.1 millas);
Según normas CE: 3.5 km (2.2 millas)
(sin obstáculos ni interferencias)
Batería 6000 mAh LiPo 2S
  • FCC: 23 dBm
  • CE: 17 dBm
Capacidad 5350 mAh
Voltaje 15.2 V
Tipo de Batería LiPo 4S
Energía 81.3 Wh
Peso Neto 462 g

Many people here use Litchi as primary app for flying "normal", non-mission flights and I haven't seen many (or any) software related problems or crashes reported. When you use Litchi for more complex fights or missions, which Go app can't even do, there are many other things beside stable app you must take into consideration to complete it without incident. When all data is available after crash while using Litchi, I can't remember a single incident on this forum which was related to app itself. Did you read about them somewhere else?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I read about Litchi involved crashes all the time here. I read about all types of crashes here. I feel sorry for every Phantom owner who has lost a bird. My P3P is like one of my children. I really, really enjoy flying it. I don't know how I would feel. A crash would make me feel bad. Having it fly off never to be seen again would hurt even more. I had a RTH moment, a little while back, but never a crash. I only fly manual and have absolutely no interest in having a machine fly my machine. Personal preference. I hope the OP at least finds it.

My only other comment would be, Things happen, when you see them happen, you know what happened. When you don't you're always left wondering.

From what I have read Litchi = uncertainty.

I read about Litchi involved crashes all the time here. I read about all types of crashes here. I feel sorry for every Phantom owner who has lost a bird. My P3P is like one of my children. I really, really enjoy flying it. I don't know how I would feel. A crash would make me feel bad. Having it fly off never to be seen again would hurt even more. I had a RTH moment, a little while back, but never a crash. I only fly manual and have absolutely no interest in having a machine fly my machine. Personal preference. I hope the OP at least finds it.

My comment was mostly aimed at your claim from quote above. Litchi = uncertainty. That is not true. As I said, if you do autonomous flight there are so much more things that you must take into account to stay on a safe side and also so many other things not related to app can go wrong. So saying that autonomous flight = uncertainty would make sense, not Litchi.

My comment was mostly aimed at your claim from quote above. Litchi = uncertainty. That is not true. As I said, if you do autonomous flight there are so much more things that you must take into account to stay on a safe side and also so many other things not related to app can go wrong. So saying that autonomous flight = uncertainty would make sense, not Litchi.

I oversimplified my feelings. I've never tried anything like Autonomous Flight Apps. Mostly I was trying to convey my feeling, that when the Drone is out my of physical sight. I get super duper nervous. And I could never endure long period of uncertainty. Sounds cool. In some ways companies are reinveting toys from my childhood. There was this truck where you had to program the path. Forward 10', turn 90 deg, forward 20ft etc...

:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20