Loss of signal to the drone

Reaction score
Hi again everybody,
After my latest firmware update I've been having some issues with the signal (it have NEVER happened earlier!), I keep loosing it all the time. For five minutes ago I flew a "few" meters over the allowed 120 meter above ground and the signal was just great, when descending I lost the signal for a few seconds and regained it again. Then after another few minutes I lost the signal again.. Then it came back... I was about 5-700 meters from where I were standing.
I got closer, as close as 30 meters and then again the signal got lost!... Then it came back again...
I landed the drone and then the signal got lost again, only a few centimeters from my RC..!

This has NEVER happened on me before (!!!), and I have a job that I have to fly over a 60 meter high bridge and 700 meter away and back while I shoot in video. Now I'm afraid that I'll be having major signal issues during this flight.

Can anybody wrap their head around what's causing this???? I would really appreciate every comment!!

I was flying over a farmers field and there were absolutely nothing that could interfere, I also had a lot of satellites covering me.
AND: How do I change the radio channel???? (Although in the menu it stood that the radio receive was good!

Thanks in advance!! :D

Same here!!! My range seems to be getting worse. I am now lucky to get 1 kilometre from my pro. Help? Return to store?

Wait, I thought the OP was talking about loss of signal. We are talking about the signal/screen image you see on your device. The FPV. Not loss of RC signal.

Dave

Reactions: Patrick Pedersen
Wait, I thought the OP was talking about loss of signal. We are talking about the signal/screen image you see on your device. The FPV. Not loss of RC signal.

Dave

When I lose the signal I don't lose the signal to the RC, only the fpv image. But the screen goes black and white and also freezes. Edit: I dont loose the signal to the RC because I can control the drone as normal and also the gimbal.
Dave: Are you a Fender Strat guy?? Same here! Although I don't own one at the time I have had several new and old ones which I just adored. My biggest idol is David Gilmour and the Strat sound his able to make! ;-)

Last edited:
Sent mine in. Not sure what they did but all working perfect now. Here's what they said. I market up the phantom with my initials and got it back.

Dear Darmie Neal Rudsill,
Thank you for contacting DJI NORTH AMERICA, according to your RMA 278248 the repair department has repaired/replaced the following items:

Phantom 3 Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller Camera Battery and Battery Charger ) (Pro/Adv)[CP.PT.XXXXXX]
No further details available.

Again I was out to fly the bird, but only about 15-20 seconds my screen got black and white and the image froze, I could move the aircraft as normal and also I could move the Gimbal as I wanted, also i could take video and pictures. All it stood on top of my screen was "No signal", but when i went in to the menu it stood that the signal quality was Good!!.... As soon as I turn off the Go APP and restart it the signal comes back, but sometimes only for a few seconds and sometimes for a couple of minutes. I've tried restarting the GO APP when loosing the signal several times and the signal ALWAYS returns when the GO APP is back on..
I have a very very important job tomorrow, so I have top have this in order before that or else I cannot do the job and I really can't afford losing those big $$$ this job will give me!...

PLEASE, PLEASE help me!!

Hello Patrick, it sounds like you're picking up some interference that's messing up your signal. Turn off wifi on your iPad. Check your antennas and make sure they're at a 45 and not turned into one another. USB cable coming out the RC, make sure it doesn't touch the antennas. Hope you solve the problem soon. I know I'd be freaking out.

Thanks for your kind reply, insky!! But im using Android, a Samsung Galaxy tab 4.. I'm lucky enough to get to borrow an ipad this weekend then I'll at least see if it is the device/tablet or something else, like the RC or drone, i bought it one month ago and it has even been to repair once already, because of something wrong with the camera... This weekend I'll be starting a job which will bring me a lot of cash and i really can't afford to lose that job, if you see what I mean??!!?!
I can't even see the grafs on the HD downlink menu on my tablet, and no option to choose between the different channels or auto or custom!

Hello Patrick, it sounds like you're picking up some interference that's messing up your signal. Turn off wifi on your iPad. Check your antennas and make sure they're at a 45 and not turned into one another. USB cable coming out the RC, make sure it doesn't touch the antennas. Hope you solve the problem soon. I know I'd be freaking out.
The reply is on the next page!... ;-)

Hi Patrick, I gotcha. I'd try swapping out the connector cord from RC 2 tablet if you haven't done so already. Maybe try re-linking. Several pilots are having trouble with the new firmware maybe downgrading to 1.7?

Hi Patrick, I gotcha. I'd try swapping out the connector cord from RC 2 tablet if you haven't done so already. Maybe try re-linking. Several pilots are having trouble with the new firmware maybe downgrading to 1.7?

Insky; now I've been out spending money i really don't have for an iPad Air wifi, just because it stands on the DJI's recommended list for devices for the Phantom.
But I heard when buying coffe in a shop of one guy that saw i had the DJI backpack that he also had runned into the same problems after the last update, and he uses iPad and has tried it on several different devices and the HD downlink is still a big problem and it loses signal. I finally thought i had spent much of money in a recommended device on the DJI list and that everything now should work!!
I've just gotten home and I am now downloading the GO app on my brand new iPad air (not mini), so in half an hour we will know the answer I reckon, I'll write you more when I've tried the iPad Air and the drone. Stay tuned insky! But have you heard of a website that one can downgrade the go app??
Have you tried Litchi??

Im getting the same problem,,I don't think I have ever turned the wifi off on my pro,,so il try that and check the channels as well

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did a test last night after work with updated IOS 2.7.2 and all still works well. I was having similar issues and that's why I started a ticket with DJI. Now after unit has been returned, all has been working great.

The other idea at the time they mention was to ensure the 6in cable was remove and re installed. Did not resolve issue.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 1:27 AM, DJI support.us <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Darmie,
> Greetings.
> Here are some more thigns you may try to help me figure out the reason of
> your problem.
> First, try to unplug and plug in the 6 in cable on your gimble. If it's not
> securely connected, then the signal might lose.
> Second, please send me a screenshot of the camera view when it says no
> signal.
> third, please send me a screenshot of your about interface, you can turn on
> both the aircraft and controller, connect your mobile device with your RC
> and enter camera view-general settings-about and I need to confirm if you're
> on the latest firmware or app or not. And what mobile device are you using?
>
> Best regards.

Hi Patrick- Helloo? It's been over half an hour! Hope that's a sign that's everything is working and you have signal! No I don't know of a website to downgrade GoApp. I've heard about Litchi but I only use GoApp.

Hi Patrick- Helloo? It's been over half an hour! Hope that's a sign that's everything is working and you have signal! No I don't know of a website to downgrade GoApp. I've heard about Litchi but I only use GoApp.

Hey insky, I'm so very sorry that I haven't replied before now!!! The reason for that is that we live like really really way out in to the forrest and Internet connection here is sometimes down for days at time, then suddenly it can come back as nothing at all has happened!!
We live right next to our landlords and they got the router inside their house, so it can also be that the signal from their house till our house is falling out or not working at all from time to time! Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't keep my promise that I would write you in half an hour!!

After I bought the iPad Air wifi everything is working as a dream again!!!!

The iPad Air is also on DJI's list over recommended devices and luckily it did matter!! Now I can also see a lot more stuff on the screen than I did with my Android device. As can I in the menu.
So, now everything is great, actually better than it ever has been.

Just a question; How far can you P3 P guys fly before you get a warning that the RC signal is getting weak? Yesterday I were about 260 meters up and 3-500meters away over an old town and a little sea, I got "loosing RC signal" or something so I turned around immediately. But, I really thought it could fly MUCH higher and further away than I was at the given moment!!????
How do you have your antennas positioned? I got them up and spread to some degree from each other..

Hi Patrick, I have internet but I don't know how to get around this Phantom Pilots forum too well, I just found my notification tab, lol!
I am glad to hear that you solved your problem on your connections.
Your antennas should be at 45 degrees if you fly out up and away. Straight out if you fly high above.
On Your "limit flight distance 0-500m" - if the slider is green turn it off.
Sounds like you have no obstacles between you and P3. Check your surroundings for radio stations -TV stations -cell phone towers-high voltage power lines etc.
I don't know how far I can fly with stock RC because I made a antenna shield out of a potato chip canister lined with tin foil.
I flew out 3,218meters(3.218km). Maybe you can find a hobby shop nearby and talk to them. Take care.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31