Loose right front motor

Reaction score
Hey all, newbie here. I just got a P3 pro from a private seller. Flies fine, tested flew it etc. when I got it home, I noticed this motor was loose. There isn’t any damage that I’ve seen. The other motors are secure in their base. Any ideas? Thanks!
B48EC340-28C9-465C-8AFE-866BC3CB8B3A.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

My first guesses would be cracked motor mounts inside the shell, cracks around the motor mounts which could be seen from outside the shell, or just loose screws. My gut says its cracks since the P3 has been plagued by cracking.

Whatever it ends up being, obviously do not fly it again until you have it sorted out.

Also, if you are interested click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: SeanCC
Welcome to the forum!

My first guesses would be cracked motor mounts inside the shell, cracks around the motor mounts which could be seen from outside the shell, or just loose screws. My gut says its cracks since the P3 has been plagued by cracking.

Whatever it ends up being, obviously do not fly it again until you have it sorted out.

Also, if you are interested click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!
Thanks! He had prop guards on it also, which I removed. It’s possible I knocked some screws loose in the process, because I had to use an Allen wrench to unscrew the guard mounts underneath the motor housing. Will look at it again after work to be sure.

Thanks! He had prop guards on it also, which I removed. It’s possible I knocked some screws loose in the process, because I had to use an Allen wrench to unscrew the guard mounts underneath the motor housing. Will look at it again after work to be sure.
Hopefully you didn't reuse the same long screws after you removed the prop guards. Many people have unfortunately used the same long screws after removing prop guards, and the long screws have often damaged the windings inside of the motors. They then get only ESC errors when trying to start the props. This would not be a reason for a loose motor as you described, just something to be careful about. It's one of the tips in the link I gave you earlier.

Hopefully you didn't reuse the same long screws after you removed the prop guards. Many people have unfortunately used the same long screws after removing prop guards, and the long screws have often damaged the windings inside of the motors.
No, actually, I just removed the mounts/screws, put them in a baggie and didn’t put any other screws in. Is there a separate pair of screws that I needed to put back into the body of the drone under the motor base?

Also Welcome to the Forum!

If you didn't put the screws back in, then the motor would be loose?

The original screws were shorter, the prop guards came with the longer screws. If there are quick release prop guards some leave the brackets and don't use the guards to add strength to avoid cracking.

Try this search, it keep you busy. ;)
Search results for query: cracks

Rod

Reactions: SeanCC and Oso
I was wondering the same. He said "The other motors are secure in their base," but also said that when he removed the props guards he, "just removed the mounts/screws, put them in a baggie and didn’t put any other screws in."
A bit confusing for my aged and sparse brain cells. ;)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Also Welcome to the Forum!

The original screws were shorter, the prop guards came with the longer screws. If there are quick release prop guards some leave the brackets and don't use the guards to add strength to avoid cracking.

Try this search, it keep you busy. ;)
Search results for query: cracks

Rod
Lol. I feel silly now. Of course it would be loose. The previous owner gave me another bag with screws in it, I’ll check for shorter ones. Thanks for the info.

I was wondering the same. He said "The other motors are secure in their base," but also said that when he removed the props guards he, "just removed the mounts/screws, put them in a baggie and didn’t put any other screws in."
A bit confusing for my aged and sparse brain cells. ;)
Well, that’s the thing. When I held the P3 upside down, only one motor seemed loose. I will check all 4 now.

"IF".......that one motor got that loose during a flight....Sean Your very lucky that you never lost the drone in a really really bad crash !.......its good to check them tiny engine machine screws as preventive maintenance occasionally.... But Not to OVER tighten them !

No, actually, I just removed the mounts/screws, put them in a baggie and didn’t put any other screws in.

Good thing you didn't try to fly it before you came here. The motors would have been taking off all by themselves lol

While on the topic on screws What tool kits I see on Amazon/Ebay would be a good choice for My P4Ps? And I'd guess since the DJI drones are Chinese they are Metric??

Last edited:
Look what found in the “goodie bag” that came with the drone.
Now I REALLY feel silly lol. I think I’m fine. I’ll put these screws on and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.
View attachment 105086
OMG, the guy took that much effort to label it. Maybe he made the long screw mistake himself. ;)

Rod

Cobraray.......i sent you a message thru here....look upper right see the envelope....click on that for the message !

if they are removable prop guards consider this
I went ahead and put the guard brackets back in. Everything seems ok, but I’m a little concerned the motors are in there slightly crooked. does anyone see that in this pic? Or are my eyes deceiving me?
8A42874C-1791-4102-BD46-41FCDB611882.jpeg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl