Looking for help in identifying video issue

Reaction score
In this youtube video can someone explain why my video is reacting this way? Might be a setting???

I shot the video with these settings

I shot in 1080 standard, using an ND 8 filter at 120 fps

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

any help would be great

You sill see glitchy video around the windows plus the steel shed is flat but appears to have lines and color is added on final shot for some reason.

In this youtube video can someone explain why my video is reacting this way? Might be a setting???

any help would be great
Seems like moiré to me.

Reactions: Videojim

any help would be great
This looks to be a Codec Issue on the upload to YouTube, We see this alot of you are not uploading with the right setting to Youtube, What editor are you using ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain and Float on Water.

Thanks for the reply.
It was this way out of camera, either watching raw from VLC, in Premiere Pro or Youtube.

You've got both moire and aliasing going on there. I don't know what you're flying or what camera, but the answer is going to be in your settings. I had a link to an excellent video that might help but it's gone. Search the forum and YouTube.

I would try slowing down the shutter (more motion blur) and reducing the sharpness in the profile setting you are using.

Reactions: Droneted

any help would be great
Aside from the fact that your sample is under-exposed, as others have pointed out, there is definitely moiré effect going on. I'm going to guess that there is a net hanging up here:

1616340426321.png

...which is causing your moiré. This may be exasperated by your exposure and/or rendering codec. I see a lot of digital artifacts in your sample. You said you shot this in 1080p, but it looks like it was shot in 4K and then down-resed to 1080p. Are you SURE you shot it in 1080p???

Unfortunately, there's no way to eliminate moiré. You can only try to reduce it by either shooting lower resolution (1080p instead of 4K), reduce sharpening in your camera, softening the footage in post or taking down that net that's set up in front of the house.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
I can still see the codec issue in the trees, its not even close to being clear footage when i compare it with our low light footage.
Something is still way off,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water

You sill see glitchy video around the windows plus the steel shed is flat but appears to have lines and color is added on final shot for some reason.
It's likely that there's nothing wrong with your camera at all and the issue is due to a combination of moire and compression artifacts.
Test the camera by shooting something else without fine lines or a net and see how it works.

And unless you have a particular reason for shooting at 120 fps, use a slower frame rate, eg 30fps.

Reactions: MTO
Aside from the fact that your sample is under-exposed, as others have pointed out, there is definitely moiré effect going on. I'm going to guess that there is a net hanging up here:

View attachment 121679

...which is causing your moiré. This may be exasperated by your exposure and/or rendering codec. I see a lot of digital artifacts in your sample. You said you shot this in 1080p, but it looks like it was shot in 4K and then down-resed to 1080p. Are you SURE you shot it in 1080p???

Unfortunately, there's no way to eliminate moiré. You can only try to reduce it by either shooting lower resolution (1080p instead of 4K), reduce sharpening in your camera, softening the footage in post or taking down that net that's set up in front of the house.

D
It might appear that there is a net but there is none. I had this happen on many different shots at different exposures.

It's likely that there's nothing wrong with your camera at all and the issue is due to a combination of moire and compression artifacts.
Test the camera by shooting something else without fine lines or a net and see how it works.

And unless you have a particular reason for shooting at 120 fps, use a slower frame rate, eg 30fps.
I have done another test using log and a variety of frame rates. Please check it out.

First of all, thank you to each of you who have given your input. Since that initial sample, I have reset the drone to factory settings and re-calibrated it. I was hoping this would show better results but I don't think it does.

The first set of shots are directly from the raw log record then a quick color on the second set. I can see the issue in both sets. I do find though that by lowering the sharpening it does help but compromises the video. Also, I do see a 'jelly' effect in some of the shots as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

View attachment 121679

D
Yes, the video was shot in 1080. Thank you for the info and help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic