litchi waypoint gimbal pitch after connection lost

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I ventured into the world of litchi this week and I'll admit it's a huge learning curve over djigo. I love it and think DJI should implement allot of what litchi has into djigo. I have been having a hard time learning the settings for some of the functions but I've been trying to focus on them one by one. So I've been practicing with waypoints the last couple days and yesterday I finally got my 12WP with 7POI mission to complete successfully with the quad focusing and turning correctly (almost).

Now my problem/question is on my way to WP 8 I lost connection for the final 5 WP's (circling 1 POI) on WP 7 I was at 180' alt with a -88° gimbal pitch. On the way to WP 8 it was to ascend to 252' with a gimbal pitch of -11 (WP 9,10,11 and 12 should of been about the same pitch). The quad ascended correctly and controlled the yaw focusing on my poi but the gimbal pitch as far as I can tell stopped it's transition coming up from -88° at the point of signal loss and never changed throughout the remaining WP's.

From what I can find and all the videos I've watched the gimbel should of continued to pitch correctly. I triple checked each WP and made sure the gimbal pitch was set.

Attached pic is a screenshot at the exact moment i lost signal. You can see the gimbal was coming up from -88° but never to -11°... if anyone would like the video I'll trim it to that point.

Thank you so much everyone that read all this and can help! I'm sure I forgot info so ask away if needed!

db5cc0996e120ebdbda806f771018532.jpg

Apparently once you lose your signal, gimbal pitch settings no longer function. I found this to be true when flying Litchi mission using an iPad mobile but not when using an android. Below is some tests/mission I flew. All 4 are the identical mission created with "Mission Hub". The 2 on the left was shot when using an iPad, 2 on the right are android. Once the videos on left lose uplink, pitch never changes during the remaining part of the mission. The ones on the right however work as expected even with no uplink signal. To read the data at the bottom of each video besure that you sellect HD 720 youTube settings or else the numbers are blurry.

Apparently once you lose your signal, gimbal pitch settings no longer function. I found this to be true when flying Litchi mission using an iPad mobile but not when using an android. Below is some tests/mission I flew. All 4 are the identical mission created with "Mission Hub". The 2 on the left was shot when using an iPad, 2 on the right are android. Once the videos on left lose uplink, pitch never changes during the remaining part of the mission. The ones on the right however work as expected even with no uplink signal. To read the data at the bottom of each video besure that you sellect HD 720 youTube settings or else the numbers are blurry.

Oh wow that's strange...I built the mission right on litchi. That's the only difference i can think of. I compensated for it and added a waypoint right after wp7 and set the gimbal to come up half the distance so it should finish it's sweep before losing signal. It worked but I lost the beautiful long sweep over the trees revealing the lake.

Did you lose TX or just image signal? What I'm wondering is when you load the mission obviously it saves the coordinates to the quad but does it not save the gimbal angle? I'm curious if anyone knows if you can load a mission to the quad then plug it in and view the code?

For some reason I can't change the resolution on my phone. I can if I'm in the YouTube app but it doesn't give me the option on my phone. Can't tell which signal is which there.

Also where is this video taken? It's beautiful.

Litchi cannot adjust the gimbal pitch if signal is lost. This is due to the DJI SDK (Software Development Kit) not allowing it. The Litchi code writers/programmers must work within the limitations of the SDK. In other words, Litchi can't fix it until/unless DJI allows it.

Litchi cannot adjust the gimbal pitch if signal is lost. This is due to the DJI SDK (Software Development Kit) not allowing it. The Litchi code writers/programmers must work within the limitations of the SDK. In other words, Litchi can't fix it until/unless DJI allows it.

Is this DJI SDK issue only when using IOS or is it the same with Android? The video and post above (by BourgeoisSJC) suggests this only happens when using IOS.

Is this DJI SDK issue only when using IOS or is it the same with Android? The video and post above (by BourgeoisSJC) suggests this only happens when using IOS.
Hmmmm. Good question. I don't know but I think it's both. I know it's the case with iOS and being that it's because of the SDK, I would assume it's the same for Android. Then again, one must keep in mind that I'm an expert in stating my expert opinions on things that I really have no clue about. Now, who needs marital advice? ;)

Yeah, I don't think it would be different with Android.

Yes, no signal, no gimbal settings, no speed changes, no actions at waypoints(I think?).

@Higherperspectivect,
I'm a Litchi user also and I try to point Litchi talk to this section.
Control (Go, Litchi, etc..)

I have this set up as for an alert on new threads.
In general, most Litchi conservation are on all Phantoms, etc.

Rod

Yeah, I don't think it would be different with Android.

Yes, no signal, no gimbal settings, no speed changes, no actions at waypoints(I think?).

Rod

Yeah, I have heard this numerous of times from many other Litchi users and have no solid evidence to proof otherwise. That said.... I have posted the above video in at least 2 other threads/forums and no one has been able to explain why the same mission behaves different when loaded via iOs vs Android. Yes, in the video above the iOS version(s) lose the signal for a longer period than the Android versions (that its self is another story) but once restored the gimbal pitch stays "frozen" since it last change. The android versions loses signal periodically but the gimbal pitch continues to change. Even if one can proof that wrong there is no denying that once a signal is restored android missions continue setting gimbal pitch as planned.

Going to have to send this video to Litchi support.

anyone can tell me if this is still an issue? a friend was claiming that with some SDK update the mission gimbal pitch is now working even without a signal??
thanks

anyone can tell me if this is still an issue? a friend was claiming that with some SDK update the mission gimbal pitch is now working even without a signal??
thanks

Everyone talks about this pitch problems within Litchi missions. I had never experienced it when I was using my Android phone. Last spring I switched to iPad and each time I lost connection the pitch changes stopped working and never came back even when signal was restored. Made no sense. Why would a mission on Android be different than iPad. I ran some tests, 2 ipad videos and 2 android. Same mission. Look at the results (in full screen and HD) below. The 2 videos on left are iPad. The right are android. The signal strength, pitch changes, etc are below.

It is hard to see in the video when exactly the signal dropped but in all cases, when I reviewed the flight logs, it is very near the beginning when the iPad video indicate a gimbal pitch of 163 and/or 166.

I can duplicate the above at any time and have stopped using my iPad for Litchi mission for this reason

Last edited:
Help - Litchi

Within the link above it states...

IMG_1518873827.253028.jpg

The Litchi “APP” controls those functions. If signal is lost they won’t work.

As far a iOS / Android.. its the processing power of each device that would make a difference IMO. The signal from RC to AC or from AC to RC is the same but how it is processed from tablet to tablet can clearly be a difference. My K1 handles video (RX) downlink processing better than my mini 4, but the control (TX) loses signal in the same spot in my test area regardless of which tablet I’m using.

Everyone talks about this pitch problems within Litchi missions. I had never experienced it when I was using my Android phone. Last spring I switched to iPad and each time I lost connection the pitch changes stopped working and never came back even when signal was restored. Made no sense. Why would a mission on Android be different than iPad. I ran some tests, 2 ipad videos and 2 android. Same mission. Look at the results (in full screen and HD) below. The 2 videos on left are iPad. The right are android. The signal strength, pitch changes, etc are below.

It is hard to see in the video when exactly the signal dropped but in all cases, when I reviewed the flight logs, it is very near the beginning when the iPad video indicate a gimbal pitch of 163 and/or 166.

I can duplicate the above at any time and have stopped using my iPad for Litchi mission for this reason

hmm not sure what this video tries to prove, but i can tell you for a fact that for me once signal is lost and your mission comes to the next waypoint that has speed and/or gimbal change, they will not be executed. i m using android and ipad interchangeably, P3, P4p and Mavic.
so unless there has been a change in this functionality in the last 10-12 months (not sure when i last experienced this)... which was my original question. maybe you are already flying with this change on android??
thanks anyway

Help - Litchi

Within the link above it states...

View attachment 95167

The Litchi “APP” controls those functions. If signal is lost they won’t work.

As far a iOS / Android.. its the processing power of each device that would make a difference IMO. The signal from RC to AC or from AC to RC is the same but how it is processed from tablet to tablet can clearly be a difference. My K1 handles video (RX) downlink processing better than my mini 4, but the control (TX) loses signal in the same spot in my test area regardless of which tablet I’m using.

i guess this hasnt changed then....
thanks

Reactions: JohnnyB
i guess this hasnt changed then....
thanks

Like u said, same for speed changes between waypoints, also controlled by the APP. If signal is lost, the mission continues at cruising speed that is set.
(Edit: also stated in the Litchi Help link above)

Yeah, I have heard this numerous of times from many other Litchi users and have no solid evidence to proof otherwise. That said.... I have posted the above video in at least 2 other threads/forums and no one has been able to explain why the same mission behaves different when loaded via iOs vs Android. Yes, in the video above the iOS version(s) lose the signal for a longer period than the Android versions (that its self is another story) but once restored the gimbal pitch stays "frozen" since it last change. The android versions loses signal periodically but the gimbal pitch continues to change. Even if one can proof that wrong there is no denying that once a signal is restored android missions continue setting gimbal pitch as planned.

Going to have to send this video to Litchi support.

The proof is in the manual. The fact your commands still worked with your android device just proves that you didn’t lose complete signal. You said “periodically “ not completely. A video glitch is not complete loss. Most of us lose video but can use control to raise elevation to get video back. The Litchi commands are sent through the TX side of the remote to the AC so a periodic loss of video will not cancel mission commands unless TX is also lost.

Last edited:
Also, at one point I was hearing so many different opinions on this same subject, plus I was building my mods at the time so I bought a meter to find out these questions myself and though the meter isn’t a high end meter I believe it was good enough to answer questions I had with this subject being one of them and I can tell you from testing with a meter that the power of the TX signal does not change by switching devices. RX can however be affected by the processing speed of each device and by how well you have optimized that device for flight. Msinger has a great thread for optimizing iOS devices.

Last edited:
The proof is in the manual. The fact your commands still worked with your android device just proves that you didn’t lose complete signal. You said “periodically “ not completely. A video glitch is not complete loss. Most of us lose video but can use control to raise elevation to get video back. The Litchi commands are sent through the TX side of the remote to the AC so a periodic loss of video will not cancel mission commands unless TX is also lost.
Never lost video signal throughout the entire MISSION. The video I posted showed that the UPLINK signals was lost but only the Android versions showed that MISSION pitch continued/recovered once UPLINK signal was restored. The IOS versions, once the uplink was lost the mission pitch never changed again even when the signal was restored.

Never lost video signal throughout the entire MISSION. The video I posted showed that the UPLINK signals was lost but only the Android versions showed that MISSION pitch continued/recovered once UPLINK signal was restored. The IOS versions, once the uplink was lost the mission pitch never changed again even when the signal was restored.

Ah, gotcha. That’s indeed an odd one. Leads me to think it’s within the app... 2 versions.. android/iOS.. one coded to resume and one not (yet). Maybe update both and run test again?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor