Litchi Mission Lost Phantom

I have a label on the bottom of the drone that reads "reward if found call my#" along with my faa#. I was thinking of flying my new phantom over some of these areas and looking that way.

....just a thought: IF anyone finds it, isn't your drone registered to you only, via your controller (paired) ? Ie. it can't be flown by anyone but the person with the controller it is registered to, no? Also, does DJI have a way of disabling (suspending registration temporarily) your drone, and keeping track of any "geo-connection" if someone who found your drone fires it up? If DJI does not have this in place, it would be a fabulous feature to offer their drone buyers!

the z dimension (elevation):

....there are mapping platforms that map literally everything "protruding from the ground" at extremely high resolution (at the centimeter, 5 centimeter, 10 centimeter etc resolution per ranged pixel). The sensing device is called LiDAR. Many areas of the US (and now, Canada and Britain) are already mapped (especially coastlines, flood-planes, urban areas & cities, and sensitive forested areas). All the data is available as public domain coverages. So, using the z (elevation) data from the 3D LiDAR coverage, a KML file can be extracted that would give the mission planner precise z elevations over every tree, built structure, antenna, tower and protrusion above the ground. Google Earth Pro only provides the "bare ground" terrain model, not the elevations of all structures and biomass above bare ground, remember (but, as shown earlier, this is an excellent starting point to mission plan!). The only thing that LiDAR would (may not) not provide, would be 3D power lines strung out between the poles/towers.

IF a LiDAR overflight was done over your search target range, you would be able to pin-point the actual tree/structure/shrub/pole/tower/fence your drone would have hit first, along your flight line plugging in your original flight plan elevation number as a compare.

Don't think it made it past 2nd or 3rd sets of trees in hill rises.

Reactions: JohnnyB
....just a thought: IF anyone finds it, isn't your drone registered to you only, via your controller (paired) ? Ie. it can't be flown by anyone but the person with the controller it is registered to, no? Also, does DJI have a way of disabling (suspending registration temporarily) your drone, and keeping track of any "geo-connection" if someone who found your drone fires it up? If DJI does not have this in place, it would be a fabulous feature to offer their drone buyers!

the z dimension (elevation):

....there are mapping platforms that map literally everything "protruding from the ground" at extremely high resolution (at the centimeter, 5 centimeter, 10 centimeter etc resolution per ranged pixel). The sensing device is called LiDAR. Many areas of the US (and now, Canada and Britain) are already mapped (especially coastlines, flood-planes, urban areas & cities, and sensitive forested areas). All the data is available as public domain coverages. So, using the z (elevation) data from the 3D LiDAR coverage, a KML file can be extracted that would give the mission planner precise z elevations over every tree, built structure, antenna, tower and protrusion above the ground. Google Earth Pro only provides the "bare ground" terrain model, not the elevations of all structures and biomass above bare ground, remember (but, as shown earlier, this is an excellent starting point to mission plan!). The only thing that LiDAR would (may not) not provide, would be 3D power lines strung out between the poles/towers.

IF a LiDAR overflight was done over your search target range, you would be able to pin-point the actual tree/structure/shrub/pole/tower/fence your drone would have hit first, along your flight line plugging in your original flight plan elevation number as a compare.
On your controller question, the RC is not permanently bonded to only that AC. Let's say your controller was broken or lost, you would simply buy another one and you would relink the new controller with the craft. When you say registered, if you're referring to FAA. Remember it's the person that is registered not the craft, so someone would simply just peel off your original FAA number. And on your last point about DJI and their possibility to get involved in any way. This has been discussed on their forum and the response from the Reps was no they will not get involved in any way to track down your property. And to be honest I don't blame them, imagine if they had to put resources into every person that said their drone went missing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

On your controller question, the RC is not permanently bonded to only that AC. Let's say your controller was broken or lost, you would simply buy another one and you would relink the new controller with the craft. When you say registered, if you're referring to FAA. Remember it's the person that is registered not the craft, so someone would simply just peel off your original FAA number. And on your last point about DJI and their possibility to get involved in any way. This has been discussed on their forum and the response from the Reps was no they will not get involved in any way to track down your property. And to be honest I don't blame them, imagine if they had to put resources into every person that said their drone went missing.

But, but.. my child was holding my Phantom... and now.. my child is missing.

On your controller question, the RC is not permanently bonded to only that AC.

OK. Thanks.

When you say registered, if you're referring to FAA.

No. Not referring to the FAA registration...I was curious about the 1st firing up of a new drone (say, via the DJI Go app), and having the RC bind to that specific bird. But your response makes sense...

This has been discussed on their forum and the response from the Reps was no they will not get involved in any way to track down your property.

....that's too bad. I'd be willing to pay for an app that could track my "lost or stolen drone", and report back to me via Google Maps, for instance (and, allow me to disable my drone remotely; smart-phones have this service available to them).

OK. Thanks.

No. Not referring to the FAA registration...I was curious about the 1st firing up of a new drone (say, via the DJI Go app), and having the RC bind to that specific bird. But your response makes sense...

....that's too bad. I'd be willing to pay for an app that could track my "lost or stolen drone", and report back to me via Google Maps, for instance (and, allow me to disable my drone remotely; smart-phones have this service available to them).

I imagine the only way to be able to track a stolen drone would be if the thief were to use DJI go app to fly (after having to buy a controller) OR some one who buys the stolen drone flies it using DJI go, DJI would be able to track the "drone name" to the recorded/cloud records. And getting that far would be able to see flights/videos/snapshots of the area.

But wouldn't it still be active with healthy drones? I mean if anyone did fly it thy drones could locate where it is?

Neon Euc

The display device links the flight with healthy drones website. The display's Litchi account must be logged into the account.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I may be stating the obvious but have you had a good look upwards in the tree tops when searching? I lost my P4 recently when flying a litchi mission and I searched the area with no joy, but then just happened to spot the green light flashing. With out that battery light I'd have never have seen it. Although it's still up there as it's impossible to get up to it and it's in a protected area of a national park

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I imagine the only way to be able to track a stolen drone would be if the thief were to use DJI go app to fly (after having to buy a controller) OR some one who buys the stolen drone flies it using DJI go, DJI would be able to track the "drone name" to the recorded/cloud records. And getting that far would be able to see flights/videos/snapshots of the area.
While technically possible, I very much doubt they would ever release info to a individual citizen. Too many legal repercussions.

(Wonders)... if you log into DJi go account on display and open up flight logs of "said drone", could you access any flights made with that drone....?

Your max speed was 30.25 mph. The bird was in the air for 3 minutes 10 seconds.

Follow your flight path. Allowing for a speed variable of -1 to -3 mph (taking off, wind,) it will be at the distance marker between 1.4355 to 1.5938 miles from your original destination.

Back to the point at hand... " DAVE", are you slogging with wife through the creeks and bogs? Do you see it yet?!... throw the wife down across that next bog and cross it and hike up that next hill... it's there!

Your max speed was 30.25 mph. The bird was in the air for 3 minutes 10 seconds.

Follow your flight path. Allowing for a speed variable of -1 to -3 mph (taking off, wind,) it will be at the distance marker between 1.4355 to 1.5938 miles from your original destination.
Signal was lost. Log was cut off at that point.

Daved,
As others have suggested, take new drone and fly slowly over the WPs that others have suggested to look at. This will give you a different angle then from the ground and may in fact be easier to spot. Maybe just reuse your first litchi mission but take out the WPs that you do not need to search and then review the footage on a large screen TV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20