Like a rock.

Reaction score
Ok folks. This is where I could really use some help from experience or knowledge. I have a phantom 4 pro. Today went for a quick flight in the back yard. Hovered for a while testing the gps. Had 11 sats, flew forward about 20 feet (no obstruction from sky or gps) when I let go of the stick, the drone lost all power and fell straight out of the sky, breaking the right leg off and cracked the glass on the uv filter. Admittedly, it was an aftermarket battery. But I’ve flown it many times on that battery. Thank God it was only 15 feet altitude. Even after t crashed, it turned right back on (of course I didn’t fly it again, but I wanted to test the camera, props, etc.). Is there something I should be looking for, that would have caused this?

Is there something I should be looking for, that would have caused this?
Assuming the aircraft didn't lose all power, upload your device log to the link below and share a link back here and we can give it a look see. Log Viewer I have a suspicion however that it could have been an improperly seated battery. This issue has been around a long time with P4's.

Yip my rock fall was a battery error with original battery,100% on take off ,got to 400ft only to have critical voltage error,tried to land asap but drone turned off at 72ft and watched it drop,,you should upload as @Fly Dawg has asked to find out what happen,

Reactions: Capt KO
I just discovered something very interesting.
I wanted to make sure I didnt do something stupid like a CSC maneuver.
While I was testing this, a few things popped up.
you have the ability to stop the motors in the air, correct?
CSC is both sticks pulled to the inner right and left at the same time.
there are 2 settings to stop the motors according to the app.
1) "dont stop motors in mid air"
2) "CSC" mode, which according to the app, the left stick pulled down to the inside right corner, and the RTH button held down at the same time.

Those are the methods o stop the motors.

No matter what setting I have it on, the motors will shut off with "ONLY" the left stick pulled to the bottom inside right.

Thats gotta be something wrong, right?

and it shuts down pretty quick too.

about 2 seconds.

So, if i am decending and turning to the left at the same time, my motors will shut off mid air.

I just discovered something very interesting.
I wanted to make sure I didnt do something stupid like a CSC maneuver.
While I was testing this, a few things popped up.
you have the ability to stop the motors in the air, correct?
CSC is both sticks pulled to the inner right and left at the same time.
there are 2 settings to stop the motors according to the app.
1) "dont stop motors in mid air"
2) "CSC" mode, which according to the app, the left stick pulled down to the inside right corner, and the RTH button held down at the same time.

Those are the methods o stop the motors.

No matter what setting I have it on, the motors will shut off with "ONLY" the left stick pulled to the bottom inside right.

and it shuts down pretty quick too.

about 2 seconds.

So, if i am decending and turning to the left at the same time, my motors will shut off mid air.
Gezz that sound scary and not right,,hopefully someone can work it out for you,,

Reactions: vincent228
but the log shows nothing about loss of altitude, or travel slow down.
Altitude no, travel slow down yes. This as stated before looks like an improperly seated battery, accentuated with hard braking. There was no CSC.

1574558110633.png

That is awesome! At least I have an answer! Thank you! Now I won’t have the fear of taking it up again. Now, the battery was locked in tight, even after it hit the ground. Could it be a faulty battery?

That is awesome! At least I have an answer! Thank you! Now I won’t have the fear of taking it up again. Now, the battery was locked in tight, even after it hit the ground. Could it be a faulty battery?
It's anyone's guess whether or not the battery may have re-seated itself upon impact. It's possible, but my gut reaction is the battery failed.

Reactions: vincent228

No. Motors shutting down with left stick down will occur normally when the craft isn't descending anymore, such as being on the ground or a hand catch. It takes 3 seconds to detect no descending, then it shuts down.

Were you testing this on the ground?

Ok folks. This is where I could really use some help from experience or knowledge. I have a phantom 4 pro. Today went for a quick flight in the back yard. Hovered for a while testing the gps. Had 11 sats, flew forward about 20 feet (no obstruction from sky or gps) when I let go of the stick, the drone lost all power and fell straight out of the sky, breaking the right leg off and cracked the glass on the uv filter. Admittedly, it was an aftermarket battery. But I’ve flown it many times on that battery. Thank God it was only 15 feet altitude. Even after t crashed, it turned right back on (of course I didn’t fly it again, but I wanted to test the camera, props, etc.). Is there something I should be looking for, that would have caused this?

Inserting the battery requires a "double click." Odds are you only got one click so it dislodged mid-flight. It's a common problem.

D

No. Motors shutting down with left stick down will occur normally when the craft isn't descending anymore, such as being on the ground or a hand catch. It takes 3 seconds to detect no descending, then it shuts down.

Were you testing this on the ground?

No. Believe it or not, I tested it hovering about a foot off the ground over old pillows. And I’m being serious.

Inserting the battery requires a "double click." Odds are you only got one click so it dislodged mid-flight. It's a common problem.

D

Actually,
Being a manager of a forklift dealership (and many forklifts are electric), I sent the battery to one of our vendors who tested it. Under load, one or more of the banks totally dropped out, and had a total power failure. So my hard brake and reverse made the new (aftermarket) battery completely shut down and turn off the phantom. But then turned right on again after the load was gone. It only dropped out in a hard load. But taking off was a gradual load. Trying to exchange the battery now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic