LIGHTNING PICTURES CAPTURED BY PHANTOM RAIN.

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Electricity went out , Black out: Flew straight up just about 200 ft and pointed towards the Flash of light over the lake erie. Had I known I was capturing all this , would have kept flying longer.

We posted some of the other frames on are phantomrain.org website.

Had no idea what I captured until I looked at the Video and went thru the frames one by one..
These are not photos but 4K video frames.

I would love to see other lightning shots to see what is possible with the drone in the sky ?
Also do you think actual photos would have been different or better, or would i have missed the shots as I could not really see anything but a flash of light when I was recording.

It was raining but the rain drops blended into the darkness so you could not see them.

Warning: All comments in regards to flying at Night will be Ignored. please try to stay on topic

Approved Vendor: Phantomrain.org
Fly into the storm and out with confidence.

They dont look like much until you expand them and see the detail of each picture in full size.
Anyone can capture amazing frames with there drone in the storm.

Storm 7.png
Storm 7.png
storm 1.png
Storm 2.png
strorm 4.png
storm 5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how we stay ready for action on a moments notice, If the light go out , we go up in the sky.
P1010637.JPG

This charges all 3 batteries and the Plus Controller. Set up is so easy.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 3.41.08 PM.png

We stopped using the case: Ready to Fly when the storm hits,
Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 11.35.18 PM.png

When the storm hits we want to be ready, we have yet to catch a really severe storm during the day.
We figured out every way to get around carrying that case. Custom Barrels work great on my bike.
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.42.10 PM.png

Last edited:
I think a drone is an exellent solution to shot lightnings.
If you film in 4K as you said and make the snapshots from the video this wouldn't be much different as a still photo..
The most important is apropriate setting of the aperture and it should be as closed as it can. Otherwise you'll get the overexposed lightning with no sharpness at all. The exposition time is of no relevance here as the lightning has the same effect as flesh light which is very short (1/4000s or less)..

I think a drone is an exellent solution to shot lightnings.
If you film in 4K as you said and make the snapshots from the video this wouldn't be much different as a still photo..
The most important is apropriate setting of the aperture and it should be as closed as it can. Otherwise you'll get the overexposed lightning with no sharpness at all. The exposition time is of no relevance here as the lightning has the same effect as flesh light which is very short (1/4000s or less)..

This explains why each frame a had a different level of light on it. Knowing its not to much of a difference is good to know. Thank you

So do you guarantee this wet suit will keep my phantom in the air in the rain. And if it doesn't do you pay for a new drone also?

Thank you for the interest , the specifics of the guarantee are on the website but the focus of this thread are on the lightning pics

Keep in mind that State Farm has a policy that covers the total cost of your drone.
The policy is vital with or without the Wet Suit.

Keep in mind we have sold thousand of units, not everyone buys it for the rain or snow, or freezing cold , many get it for all the other added benefits explained on the website.

Your welcome to check it out phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Last edited:
Another perspective of what it takes to get the lightning shots:
Burst of Rain and than Light but no lightning strike.

Winds were between 5 and 10 mph but a few gusts. No problem at all for the Phantom 4 pro

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Without 60 frames per second on the video I would have missed these shots so the Mavic M2P would have left me with a black sky. lol

Not necessarily so. If you miss one you'll get another. I haven't saw the storm with just one lightning.
I think even at 30f/s you can miss something. More f/s you have more likely you can get only a part of the lightning.
We are talking about still pictures. If taking a movie than the more f/s the better.

Thinking : Just because you have "Insurance" on a expensive Drone....sure don't mean OH well i can push my poor little drone to the ultimate Risk Limits and fly way way way out over open water or in heavy rain or lite rain with bad winds !..... cause good ole State Farm will buy me another......That's Abuse in my Thinking...if you have it for your car (insurance) i'm sure you do ! ....do people drive carelessly cause Oh well i have insurance they will buy me another car ? No .
If i had Drone insurance....I sure would Not fly my drone with terrible risks involved i would respect my Insurance !

Thinking : Just because you have "Insurance" on a expensive Drone....sure don't mean OH well i can push my poor little drone to the ultimate Risk Limits and fly way way way out over open water or in heavy rain or lite rain with bad winds !..... cause good ole State Farm will buy me another......That's Abuse in my Thinking...if you have it for your car (insurance) i'm sure you do ! ....do people drive carelessly cause Oh well i have insurance they will buy me another car ? No .
If i had Drone insurance....I sure would Not fly my drone with terrible risks involved i would respect my Insurance !
Would you really expect that a person selling "snake oil" then advocating flying in the rain against the manufactures recommendation to care about "abuse" of insurance? And, discussion about flying in the rain is on topic.

Electricity went out , Black out: Flew straight up just about 200 ft and pointed towards the Flash of light over the lake erie. Had I known I was capturing all this , would have kept flying longer.

We posted some of the other frames on are phantomrain.org website.

Had no idea what I captured until I looked at the Video and went thru the frames one by one..
These are not photos but 4K video frames.

I would love to see other lightning shots to see what is possible with the drone in the sky ?
Also do you think actual photos would have been different or better, or would i have missed the shots as I could not really see anything but a flash of light when I was recording.

It was raining but the rain drops blended into the darkness so you could not see them.

Warning: All comments in regards to flying at Night will be Ignored. please try to stay on topic

Approved Vendor: Phantomrain.org
Fly into the storm and out with confidence.

They dont look like much until you expand them and see the detail of each picture in full size.
Anyone can capture amazing frames with there drone in the storm.

View attachment 102507 View attachment 102507 View attachment 102508 View attachment 102509 View attachment 102510 View attachment 102511
Nice shots dude

beautiful photo's /video capture

Think the rain protection is a Phantastic idea but went to check you guys out but can't get onto your website

Think the rain protection is a Phantastic idea but went to check you guys out but can't get onto your website
I just checked

It appears the main server is down but let me know if this link works for you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=phantom+rain&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Sorry for the inconvenience

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31