How to manage the Rain ! by Phantomrain.

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
When it comes to flying , Video and Pictures , I have gotten the Most enjoyment out of the Storm pictures.
I screen them on the Computer / the TV and have some ready for Acrylic Prints.

The Adventure is always a challenge, and sometimes you can get a nice reward for your collection.
When it comes to flying in the Rain the Phantom 4 is still a beast even when compared to the Mavic Drones as it still has the strongest gimbal in the wind.

All though the video is showing the AIR 2S the Phantom 4 can withstand some incredible weather also and the Adventure can be yours.
I try not to miss a single storm .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Storms are well known for theirs sudden strong wind gusts which come instantly.
Did it ever happen to you, a storm chaser, that the drone wasn't able to manage the wind?
What did you do then?

thanks for sharing!

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Did it ever happen to you, a storm chaser, that the drone wasn't able to manage the wind?
What did you do then?
Mark your drone. Lost mine in a hurricane, long story, but got the call next day "found your drone". Wetsuit saved it, ph # got it back.

What did you do then?
One thing i have learned is it takes a really strong consistent Wind to really Jeopardize the drone

The most difficult part is just taking off to get into the storm. That demands some timing preferably before the burst of the storm.

Without a doubt Visual line of Sight is the key to handling winds up to 50 mph which most storms stay within for a short period of time.

Notice on this take off in 50 mph winds how far the drone went before I could reel it back in sport mode.
This is why the Take off is the most risk.

What you dont see in the video is that I am behind a Brick building shielding all the wind coming across the lake to get me in the Air but as soon as that wind catches it , it cant be stopped right away. .

So I make it a point to get up in the storm early if I think strong winds are coming.
and as long as I maintain Visual Line of Sight , with a few landing points , I feel confident i can negotiate the storm.

One trick I have learned : I use to fight the wind on every gust using sport mode to hold my Position but now I let the wind blow me around in the sky and than when the wind pulls back I use the Sport mode or P mode to bring me back . You can see that in many of Strom videos now as I have become much more seasoned in the strong winds.

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Capt KO
Tricky flight with all of those drone eaters around you. Couldn't get mine down through the trees before I lost connection. Lesson learned and not to be repeated. LOL

When it comes to flying , Video and Pictures , I have gotten the Most enjoyment out of the Storm pictures.
I screen them on the Computer / the TV and have some ready for Acrylic Prints.

The Adventure is always a challenge, and sometimes you can get a nice reward for your collection.
When it comes to flying in the Rain the Phantom 4 is still a beast even when compared to the Mavic Drones as it still has the strongest gimbal in the wind.

All though the video is showing the AIR 2S the Phantom 4 can withstand some incredible weather also and the Adventure can be yours.
I try not to miss a single storm .

Phantomrain.org
I've always avoided flying my Phantom 3S in even light rain, for fear of fouling the electronics with water seepage, and because I thought water on the camera lens would blur the video footage. I might try it someday though, within line of sight.

It looks like a lot of fun. I don't think I'd want to risk my P4P in the rain. Even with a wetsuit I'd be worried about water ingress. The camera and gimbal in particular are pretty exposed on a P4. You note the P4 has a strong gimbal: Head-on, for sure, but not in profile I've found. A stiff cross-wind will readily cause gimbal failure

I have flown in high winds, but not quite the 50 mph you mention. I've found myself stationary in Sports Mode at full throttle - which suggests a 45 mph (72 kph) head-wind.

I once made a video of a speed test I performed in Atti Mode. With the help of a tail wind I managed to hit 71 mph (115 kph). If anyone's interested...

We found thru the many times we submerged the camera under water that that there was an air tight seal on the camera so that minimized risk . We also submerged the motors and had very little issues. Its the Battery and the Power Button that was easily comprised and thus we focused on enhancing that area.

Its nice to see how well the camera held up at those high speeds you obtained , very nice , that is a test we have never considered . lol

We have tested out many other facets of the Phantom 4 :

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Pygar70

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj