Landing Gear. Needed or over rated?

It's like with everything, there are pros and cons to them. Yesterday, I was flying in an area (taking panos) where there were tall grasses and the ground was water soaked, so I hand caught my phantom but I had to be careful as the wind was gusty and the phantom kept getting blown back toward me. I caught it ok (in between gusts) but if I had the choice there, I would have used my clip on landing gear. Like others have said, they are cheap, raise the camera up, provide a wider stance (more stable) for landing and have more give than the original landing legs, and are good for landing on hard surfaces like pavement or gravel.

Just like hard case vs soft case, filter vs no filter, Go vs Litchi, etc. they are another accessory/tool you have. You use them when needed and they are CHEAP.
Common sense at its finest. Well stated!

Can I have your Phantom when you cut off your hands hand catching?
Why would you stick your fingers or hands in the props? makes no sense to do that them things are really spinning . so just grab the landing gear and then shut down motors . very simple . not sure about your phantom but mine hovers in place perfectly

Please stop, lots of people hand catch. If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, easy peasy. Done it many times myself before buying these very same landing gear add-ons. Their great for keeping the camera off the grass on takeoff, and very good for landing on ground that's maybe a bit uneven.

im guessing your user name has something to do with your thoughts on hand catching ? we aint flying lawnmowers ! there is risk of injury, but when done correctly, hand catching is a good alternative to a landing gone wrong......where the bird could go rogue ! jmo

I have to say here in the UK i have done a little hand catching but by George can the weather be schizophrenic one min to the next. If i took off on a rocky outcrop in the sun i could sneeze and the wind be hefty to prevent a hand catch. In that case the extended gear could save a bird if you need to land somewhere a bit untoward as a hand catcher.

Great video demo on the hand grab bro, definitely looks like you know what your doing

First thing's first. They are called "landing gear extensions". "Landing gear" is what's already on the drone.

I had those type. I didn't like them. I have this type now and I like them a lot. They help if you land on grass, so that your camera is not sitting in the grass.

DJI-Phantom-3-P3-spare-parts-landing-gear-Extension-brackets-tripod-Accessaries-Protector-1Pair-Free-shipping.jpg

I also have these as well and love them. I was flying far from anything paved or flat all weekend and was either taking off/landing from grass or gravel and very much preferred getting the camera off the ground.

They don't appear in video, are solid, and quick & easy on/off.

It's fine to hand catch but there are going to be times the bird is on the ground, regardless. Even keeping the dew off the lens is a good argument for these, as cheap as they are.

Heads up on the landing gear extensions. Best Buy has them down to $8.99 right now. Otherwise they're $29.99.

Heads up on the landing gear extensions. Best Buy has them down to $8.99 right now. Otherwise they're $29.99.
The clip on ones that I have were only CAN$10.00 so $30 regular price seems way too much. $9 is reasonable.

I used my extensions this past weekend and they were great. Could of hand caught but why risk not getting a good hold and having the AC tilt and end up with cut arms as pictures in another thread show. When I can't land because of tall grass or uneven terrain I hand catch.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Mine were also less than $10.

Agreed on the hand catch landing on both counts... nice to do when it's convenient, landing gear appreciated when it's not, but either way takeoff is more often than not off the ground and in long or damp grass, or even gravel, it's nice to have the extra clearance for the camera for a few dollars.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl