Kindle Fire HD - Great match for the Standard!

Reaction score
I posted this in reply to another thread, but I wanted to make sure my Standard buddies see it.

Just finished installing Google Play on my Fire HD 6", running the latest Amazon operating system (5.1.2). Then, I added Google Maps (using the Play store), did a WiFi tether to my Samsung Galaxy 5, and now my Fire HD has MAPS!!! Great match for the Standard!
Search YouTube for the video I found and used on how to install the Google services on your Fire HD device. I guess my posting it was a violation?

Tomorrow I'll be plugging this in via micro USB:
Amazon.com: GlobalSat ND-105C Micro USB GPS Receiver: Cell Phones & Accessories
I'll let you know how it works out. Obviously, with my P3S, I will have the cache the maps, as my WiFi will be occupied while I fly. I already opened the Flight Records and it is downloading the maps as I view my old flights. Pretty cool, considering the price, performance, and durability of the Fire HD. Screen works pretty well outdoors, too, no hood.

Just for the record, I side-loaded DJI Go on this thing months ago, and it always worked great, just no maps.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got it to work on the fire HD. It would nit work on mine at all. I rooted it, flashed Google apps and app store, but no go. I ended up rooting an old wifi only galaxy tab 2, flashing lollipop on it, and it works as well as my galaxy S5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crazy. You had to sideload DJI-GO?! Why? The GO app in in the appstore. ;)

I have and use the Fire phone and it works rather well, exceptionally well as a matter of fact, with the only issue being the screen size.

As for the maps, I have to double check (and I'm too lazy at this moment, maybe later tonight) I have maps as well. I just checked without the P3s running/connected, and I have maps. Maps of China, but maps none-the-less. I will check later to see if local maps pull up.

Point being though, is that the Fire tablet and the Fire phone, I believe, both have the same OS. So if the Fire phone works, I would think the Tablet would as well, with no 'rooting' (which you forgot to post the link you said you used) at all. Problem is, I can't get Litchi from the app store, which means 'rooting' is necessary (and the reason I was looking for your link) to be able to install it. :confused:

OK...found your link. Also found out that the tablet does not have GPS while the phone, does. That explains ALOT! :cool:

Also found out, interestingly enough, that while your tablet has OS 5.whatever, I just checked the phones OS and it is 4.6.6, so there is another difference.

What I am going to do though, is try FPV goggles with the Fire phone. The goggles are cheap enough and the phone is an incredibly nice phone. Too bad it flopped all due to not allowing Google...:eek:

I'm glad you got it to work on the fire HD. It would nit work on mine at all. I rooted it, flashed Google apps and app store, but no go. I ended up rooting an old wifi only galaxy tab 2, flashing lollipop on it, and it works as well as my galaxy S5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks. I didn't root mine, just followed the video exactly, no hiccups. There are a couple of background apk's listed in the video, maybe that's what's missing for you? And I did it in the same order the video shows.

Crazy. You had to sideload DJI-GO?! Why? The GO app in in the appstore. ;)

I have and use the Fire phone and it works rather well, exceptionally well as a matter of fact, with the only issue being the screen size.

As for the maps, I have to double check (and I'm too lazy at this moment, maybe later tonight) I have maps as well. I just checked without the P3s running/connected, and I have maps. Maps of China, but maps none-the-less. I will check later to see if local maps pull up.

Point being though, is that the Fire tablet and the Fire phone, I believe, both have the same OS. So if the Fire phone works, I would think the Tablet would as well, with no 'rooting' (which you forgot to post the link you said you used) at all. Problem is, I can't get Litchi from the app store, which means 'rooting' is necessary (and the reason I was looking for your link) to be able to install it. :confused:
NO ROOT required, Squirrel. Worked like a charm!

OK...found your link. Also found out that the tablet does not have GPS while the phone, does. That explains ALOT! :cool:

Also found out, interestingly enough, that while your tablet has OS 5.whatever, I just checked the phones OS and it is 4.6.6, so there is another difference.

What I am going to do though, is try FPV goggles with the Fire phone. The goggles are cheap enough and the phone is an incredibly nice phone. Too bad it flopped all due to not allowing Google...:eek:
The video was actually done with the older OS, so I had my doubts about it working on OS 5.1, but no problems for me at all.

Yeah, the videos did not work for my phone. Followed exactly 5 times and still nothing...

That's weird, but I've seen weirder...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic