Just got my P4 ~ Problem viewing video on my PC

Reaction score
Hello All.

I just got my P4 last week and I'm STOKED to be flying the p*ss out of it every chance I get.. So glad I got the second battery. The bird is handling beautifully but I'm getting a herky-jerky video playback on my PC. I'm downloading the vids from the mem card and viewing on my PC with Quicktime Player.
The stills are great,, just bad video.
Right out of the box it (firmware I think) wanted to be updated, I tried but the update stalled and failed. So, I ignored the update request and started flying. You think an update could fix my video issue? I'm afraid to update the firmware now, after reading all the issues guys are having after doing so. Really not sure how to tell what version(s) I'm using now anyhow.
Any assistance/suggestions would be great.
MAN ~ This thing is fun!

I'm getting a herky-jerky video playback on my PC. I'm downloading the vids from the mem card and viewing on my PC with Quicktime Player.
The stills are great,, just bad video.
The problem is almost certainly due to your computer or the player software.
If you are shooting at 4K resolution, that's probably the issue as 4K video requires a lot of processing power.
Try shooting a test at lower video resolution and if that plays fine, that's showing you where the issue is.

Reactions: DocDiggler
If you are shooting 4K you may have to convert to another format to play correctly on your computer. Try handbrake or something like that. Or shoot in another format and see if that plays better..

Try a different player too for the video. Some use VLC Media Player, others like Media Player Classic or MPC 64x. I use MPC with MP4 as it has speed controls at the bottom with the arrows to speedup playback if needed for viewing and can play backwards which VLC has issues with. Seems to play smoother than VLC for me too under Windows 64x.

I installed MPC, and the vids don't studder or skip like before, but the color is FUBAR. Guess I need to experiment with the vid settings. Suggestions?

I installed MPC, and the vids don't studder or skip like before, but the color is FUBAR. Guess I need to experiment with the vid settings. Suggestions?

Read my post above. You need to export or process you video into something your computer can play. You need to make each frame smaller. Download HANDBRAKE open your movie file and process it. With 4K video this may take hours depending on your file size. Study Display resolution - Wikipedia If you want to avoid this set your video size to something smaller using DJIGO or LITCHI this way it will run on your computer.

I'm going to assume that you are new to video editing. If I am wrong disregard my suggestions. Let's start by setting the camera to some baseline settings.

1920x1080 30 FPS

NTSC

If you are on a Windows machine select MP4 if you are on an Apple select MOV

Auto White Balance

Picture style /Color None

Select Auto exposure.

As with ground based photography. Videography try to shoot with the sun at your back.

Doing all of this would be somewhat equivalent to shooting JPG photos on your camera. It will not extract all the power from your equipment, however it will provided acceptable output.

Download the free video player VLC

If these settings provide acceptable results, continue to experiment with changing one parameter at a time ie next try 2K. If you do not have the intention of doing post processing / Color grading then D-Cinematic may be worth a try but stay away from D-Log.

Shooting in manual mode may require constant manual adjust of the shutter speed or iso settings to maintain proper exposure. There are many many You tube videos on camera settings. Watching them may improve the learning curve.

I'm going to assume that you are new to video editing. If I am wrong disregard my suggestions. Let's start by setting the camera to some baseline settings.

1920x1080 30 FPS

NTSC

Auto White Balance

Select Auto exposure.

As with ground based photography. Videography try to shoot with the sun at your back.

Doing all of this would be somewhat equivalent to shooting JPG photos on your camera. It will not extract all the power from your equipment, however it will provided acceptable output.

If these settings provide acceptable results, continue to experiment with changing one parameter at a time ie next try 2K. If you do not have the intention of doing post processing / Color grading then D-Cinematic may be worth a try but stay away from D-Log.

Shooting in manual mode may require constant manual adjust of the shutter speed or iso settings to maintain proper exposure. There are many many You tube videos on camera settings. Watching them may improve the learning curve.

Thanks,,, I'll give this process a try tonight. I don't intend to do any post processing (maybe down the road). Yes, Windows machine running XP. Way overdue for a new PC i'm sure.

Read my post above. You need to export or process you video into something your computer can play. You need to make each frame smaller. Download HANDBRAKE open your movie file and process it. With 4K video this may take hours depending on your file size. Study Display resolution - Wikipedia If you want to avoid this set your video size to something smaller using DJIGO or LITCHI this way it will run on your computer.

I tried installing HandBrake but the version for XP (4 or 5 versions ago) is not readily available and setup for easy install. It failed to install. I'll try DJIGO or LITCHI after running thru the suggestions from Samuraiz.

1920x1080 30 FPS

NTSC

Auto White Balance

Select Auto exposure.

This is great advice...... I like to shoot at 4K and then export out at the other settings this way I have a very high res version in case of Technology changes the footage of still good..

The best solution IS usually the simplest one. 'Specially since my PC has a long white beard and running XP.
That's the reason you are seeing the issue.
4K video requires a lot of processing power that your computer can't deliver.
Stick with lower resolution.
btw .. there is no difference in quality between .mov and .mp4 formats but your computer may use different players to view them.
.mp4 is mostly used for Windows computers and .mov is an Apple format but most modern software can deal with either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.