It Took A Long Time...

ianwood said:
I shoot in 30p and then adapt it to a 24p timeline so all shots are 80% of recorded speed. That means they have some of the smoothness of slow motion but still feel mostly like normal motion.

Interesting. I'll have to try this. I always thought that slowing down 30fps would create a choppy effect.

I don't know if your plan is to get a lot of views on this but it shouldn't take much to get them. I shot 2 small beach towns just to give me some footage to play with in FCPX. I shared it with family and friends and after about a week, it got linked on a few local (to the beach towns) FB sites and websites. Over 3 days it got 30 thousand hits and my mailbox blew up with all kinds of offers to shoot. If your vid gets linked on the "downtown los angeles" FB page or some "la underground" website, I can see this thing blowing up huge.

You know. If that's your thing.

poostik said:
ianwood said:
I shoot in 30p and then adapt it to a 24p timeline so all shots are 80% of recorded speed. That means they have some of the smoothness of slow motion but still feel mostly like normal motion.

Interesting. I'll have to try this. I always thought that slowing down 30fps would create a choppy effect.

It's frame to frame accurate so there's no remap and thus no chop. I will take a 1 second shot of 30 frames and play them at a rate of 24 frames per second which will take 1.2 seconds. So really I am just slowing it down a little bit.

As for views, the more, the better. I want to get it out there.

It's called interpolating footage. It's the correct way to achieve slowmo. You can remap but then you need to frame blend and the results aren't near as crisp as Ian's footage.

This is beautiful Ian. Great colouring and super smooth camera movement. I assume you were shooting in 1080p 60fps as you make good use of slow motion in some shots.

Are you applying color correction techniques that are by default included in FCPX or do you use any add-on software? I'm asking since I can't get that level of detail with the stock Vision+ camera.

Very well done and good choice of music as well.

Cheers.

ianwood said:
poostik said:
ianwood said:

It's frame to frame accurate so there's no remap and thus no chop. I will take a 1 second shot of 30 frames and play them at a rate of 24 frames per second which will take 1.2 seconds. So really I am just slowing it down a little bit.

As for views, the more, the better. I want to get it out there.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, this makes sense.

Views? Prepare to be overwhelmed . . . If the ratio of views to the population of the small little towns I did is any indicator, yours is gonna get huge. Once one big outlet gets it, it'll spread like wildfire. I'm linking it on a few sites/pages.

Congrats......great video and great flying......I particularly like the tilt control with phantom movement. Awesome, thanks for sharing.

ianwood said:
poostik said:
Views? Prepare to be overwhelmed . . .

I am kind of half expecting it to happen.

I'm trying to get it shared. I messaged these guys with it. They said they loved it but they haven't posted it on their wall. http://www.facebook.com/losangelesfan

For me all it took was one local FB page and from there it spiraled like crazy. It was actually up for like 2 weeks before it happened. You just need one decent post and it'll move.

I'm trying to find other pages that allow you to post but the big ones don't have the option. (LA Times, etc...).

*edit*
Alright man. I shared it with a few FB pages. If just one of these posts it to their page, I think you're in.

Hidden Los Angeles
Vintage Los Angeles
Los Angeles Times Entertainment
LACMA Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Keep an eye on that stats graph. :D

Thanks man! Funny, I was just going to email Hidden LA. But it always looks better coming from someone else. Curbed LA which is pretty big said they were going to post it but haven't yet. Let's see what happens...

And fingers crossed, I may have an ace up my sleeve with the mayor's office. That would just be awesome to get the mayor to share it! Might be wishful thinking but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

A fantastic video!!

No doubt 99.9% of the people that walk the streets below never look up to see the fantastic architecture above their heads. I always try to look at what's above my head but the video also proves that getting at eye level with the top of the buildings opens up a wonderful new world.

Looks like it's on it's way. A number of blogs picked it up. 2,500 plays. Thanks for the help Marc.

No problem man. Hope you can benefit from it. I've been refreshing your stats all day. :)

Mine peaked on day 3 after it started to move. I imagine with LA's population, your play count is gonna be ridiculous.

Blowing up!
Your messages/inbox must be on overload.

Check in when you get a chance. I'd like to hear about some of the offers your getting. :)

I loathe ads. And I didn't make this to make money. Though I suspect I probably will given the number of emails coming in from property developers. If I can find any time to do them. Anyway, it's blowing up.

ianwood said:
I loathe ads. And I didn't make this to make money. Though I suspect I probably will given the number of emails coming in from property developers. If I can find any time to do them. Anyway, it's blowing up.

You're gonna break 30k views today. Good stuff.
I can imagine the offers you're getting right now. I'm extrapolating the offers to views ratio from what I got, compared to yours.

I too, loathe ads and didn't create any of my vids with the intent of making money, but it's lead to that. Do you have a secretary? haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair