Is this the reason they are falling out of the sky???

I'd love to see the over-all logs of the P3 with "old' motors. 18 minutes from 100% down to 10% in only a hover? I get that flying all over the place down to 30%.
It might be that you get less time in a hover than in flight. Certainly the case with CP helli's due to transitional lift.

My litle point of view about p3 fallings: I am a member in forums about my car. Most of the posts if not all of them are about issues and asking for advices apparently about an issue.
The car is however good, nice to drive, joyfull and great in most aspects.
My point is, keep proportions about the p3l falling from the sky feeling.
Forums are for sharing ideas, advices and knowledge.
Since i joined and started reading the p3 forum i am more respectfull of the hazards, but yet did not got discouraged to use my p3. Just put more toughts about the risks, the possibilities and the technicalities and procedures regarding using a drone.
So in that aspect the forum is great.
But it is easy to get an impression we use a high risk to loose device.
Using with sense probably it will do great service

My litle point of view about p3 fallings: I am a member in forums about my car. Most of the posts if not all of them are about issues and asking for advice apparently about an issue.
If this was a surfing forum, 50% of the posts would be about drowning and shark attacks.
A little more than the true incidence of drowning and shark attacks.
The same principle applies here.

@LamboH They will receive it for repair however they won't notify you until they take it off the shelf, so to speak, and begin inspecting it. Only after their inspection will they email you with a quote or if they find it is covered under warranty they will just repair it and return it to you. If covered under warranty you can call them to find out what was replaced once receive the email saying they are shipping it back. Also, it will be a certified package so you'll need to be there to sign for it.

Reactions: LamboH
I'd love to see the over-all logs of the P3 with "old' motors. 18 minutes from 100% down to 10% in only a hover? I get that flying all over the place down to 30%.
Yes ... here's a flight record for 20+ minutes down to 25% with original motors.
i-dTrHT6T-L.png

It's my opinion that dji down played the improved performance of the new motors so that customers and dealers would not be trying to return all the units with the old motors . Dji still had a very large inventory of phantom 3's with the old motors and they still needed to sell those . If they would've come out saying that the new motors are a lot more efficient and give you over 3 minutes of flight time , they would've had a bunch of phantoms with the old motors being returned . Also a ton of phone calls ftom angry customers wanting their motors replaced . In my opinion dji had no choice but to downplay the improvements at least until all of the inventory had turned over and all the units with the old motors were sold . Just my opinion. Either way the phantom 3 is an amazing piece of technology. No matter which motors that are on your phantom.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Fat City
It's my opinion that dji down played the improved performance of the new motors so that customers and dealers would not be trying to return all the units with the old motors . Dji still had a very large inventory of phantom 3's with the old motors and they still needed to sell those . If they would've come out saying that the new motors are a lot more efficient and give you over 3 minutes of flight time , they would've had a bunch of phantoms with the old motors being returned . Also a ton of phone calls ftom angry customers wanting their motors replaced . In my opinion dji had no choice but to downplay the improvements at least until all of the inventory had turned over and all the units with the old motors were sold . Just my opinion. Either way the phantom 3 is an amazing piece of technology. No matter which motors that are on your phantom.
[/QUOTE]

Yup !! They are going to try their **** hardest to just brush that revision off as nothing because as soon as they say it was swapped to fix an error or to improve something, it means the old ones aren't as good and people start complaining.
No one changes something and discontinues the old part if it was better, just doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Waiting on my bird to get back from Dji support now . P3p and four batteries less than a wk old when this occurred to me. What I thought was full charge , flew around for 10-12 minutes and ConTinued to fly more I my back yard to deplete the battery some more ( was at 50% ish ) when all of a sudden he leds on the bird goes off and motor stops and bird falls on its side 15 ish feet to the grass. The gimbal is separated from the bird but other than that. The landing gear ( legs) seems to be bent . Temperature was little bit chilly not had maybe 55/60 degrees . I always charge my batteries to full and fly almost everyday. Firmware 1.5 after crash I was reciewjng my logs on the app and I get the update message . Sent in to Dji for repair , they emailed me 1/4 stating that it is now checked into their system for repair . Last I talked to a rep they said they swamped with repairs and return time is 8 weeks . I'm not too familiar with their Rma process but once checked in I thought they was suppose to asssss the damages and email me with the parts and services needing to be done and what is and what isn't covered by warranty . Then any work not covered by warranty must be denied or paid for before any work is done . When checking the online repair status checker , mines says its in repair and next step is being delivered to me . I was never given a repair quote or warranty quote . For payment it says payment confirmed , I haven't made any payments for repairs . So does that mean warranty covers it. ? In another thread another member says yes warranty covered it in his case which seemed very similar to mines . Also stated Dji never explained the root cause of the malfunction , not me

I had the same thing happen to me.. I sent in my p3p to DJI for repairs and received a status update stating my repairs are "free of charge". DJI didn't even require flight logs. I have to say, I'm pretty satisfied with their service so far..

I had the same thing happen to me.. I sent in my p3p to DJI for repairs and received a status update stating my repairs are "free of charge". DJI didn't even require flight logs. I have to say, I'm pretty satisfied with their service so far..

Mind me asking when did u send it in and about how long it took total to get your p3 back ?

Well I have the first p3 and 300+ flights no problems flew in cold weather-7-8-9 C no problems did update better volts don't drop like a rock no vibrations in motors little slower.then down graded flew it again fast yes but vibration is big problem so upgraded and thats where I am staying fly safe

My bird fell out of the sky at the end of October. Perfect conditions, sunny, inside the parking lot of my hometown park at the top of a mountain. No powerlines. Battery at 94% I warmed up my P3A at 50 feet. I closed up my truck, and got ready to video the entire length of the park. Lanyard on, iPad mini being my eyes, 20/20. Left joystick up!!! the motors stopped, and he came down in a hurry. The camera smashed right off, the legs bent but not broken, the body not broken, but opened up and shut back as as a couple of the tabs were now exposed from the landing. The blades were in tact. I sent the unit to California, and it was back to me within 3 weeks. I live in Vancouver, BC all at DJI's expense. I had asked for a synopsis of what was discovered to no avail.They only provided a list of the materials that were replaced. Body, Legs, Camera.
Had a similar experience,flying in the the same location over a golf course high above the trees and houses around the course. It was to my right and about 15 minutes into the flight I lost sound and sight. I moved joystick back left still no sound or sight so I hit the RTH and look at the app and it said disconnected. Went over the fence and looked for it. Luckily I had put my name and phone number on top of the drone. Got a call several hours later from a neighbor that they had the drone that landed in their backyard. The camera was in pieces,2 motors would not turn,2 broken blades,etc.It still had 3 days under warranty.Now in for repairs.I have been using the same 2 batteries for 6 months until my wife bought a new one for Christmas. I charged it and was using it for the first time when when I had the above problem.Was it the battery????

I had a couple dropouts with my P3P recently; the first was from an elevation of more than 60' and as it came down through a small tree, it slowed the p3p enough to eject the battery and slow down enough not to damage the Phantom. The battery, on the other hand, hit hard and is dead at the site - the Phantom only received minor evidence from the tree and nothing from the asphalt road below. Hearing some references (in forums) to batteries possibly disconnecting while in flight, I made sure to push the battery in with some umph in hopes to get a good locked seat and connection, but that was the night before my flight. Obviously, to me, the battery ejecting after hitting the tree was either from the tree loosening it, or the latching mechanism of the Phantom being defective.
In detail of this flight, I carried my case up to the roof of my building to go just a few hundred feet away for some aerial shots of a local river and park. I launched from the roof (about 45 feet up) and turned 45 degrees immediately to head toward my target area, as soon as I looked down to my phone, I see flashing red loss of signal. I look back to the craft in time to see it falling dead - when I got to the edge of the roof, I saw it in the street below with the battery on the ground next to the quad.
This made me lose confidence of the P3P, and I had only flown it in test hovers for over a month until the new firmware came out last month-ish. I did all upgrades and re-calibrated the IMU and went to my yard to test it out. I started everything and waited for auto launch capability to let the quad take itself up. It launched the 3.9 feet and I looked down to grab the sticks and before I could even touch them it dropped! This time from less than 4 feet and it damaged a couple of motors, so I started a ticket with DJI, and have yet to send it in, but am anticipating being able to use my expensive toy again.
My P3P is the 'older' everything (motors,esc's), but one difference I had from most people is that I never noticed cracking of my shell - even after these crashes I don't see cracks. Though I do feel the bottom half of the shell was damaged in the last crash because the two from motors are slightly angled inward and the craft wobbles something fierce.

Funny how everyone and Dji says not to take off unless fully charged battery this is a screenshot off the Dji go app in one of the tutorials

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 295
Waiting on my bird to get back from Dji support now . P3p and four batteries less than a wk old when this occurred to me. What I thought was full charge , flew around for 10-12 minutes and ConTinued to fly more I my back yard to deplete the battery some more ( was at 50% ish ) when all of a sudden he leds on the bird goes off and motor stops and bird falls on its side 15 ish feet to the grass. The gimbal is separated from the bird but other than that. The landing gear ( legs) seems to be bent . Temperature was little bit chilly not had maybe 55/60 degrees . I always charge my batteries to full and fly almost everyday. Firmware 1.5 after crash I was reciewjng my logs on the app and I get the update message . Sent in to Dji for repair , they emailed me 1/4 stating that it is now checked into their system for repair . Last I talked to a rep they said they swamped with repairs and return time is 8 weeks . I'm not too familiar with their Rma process but once checked in I thought they was suppose to asssss the damages and email me with the parts and services needing to be done and what is and what isn't covered by warranty . Then any work not covered by warranty must be denied or paid for before any work is done . When checking the online repair status checker , mines says its in repair and next step is being delivered to me . I was never given a repair quote or warranty quote . For payment it says payment confirmed , I haven't made any payments for repairs . So does that mean warranty covers it. ? In another thread another member says yes warranty covered it in his case which seemed very similar to mines . Also stated Dji never explained the root cause of the malfunction , not me
Hi Lam, I had a similar experience with DJI repair, they fixed my bird and sent it back but I could never get an explanation on what they found. I guess they figure you aren't play, so they ain't saying, lol.

It's my opinion that dji down played the improved performance of the new motors so that customers and dealers would not be trying to return all the units with the old motors . Dji still had a very large inventory of phantom 3's with the old motors and they still needed to sell those . If they would've come out saying that the new motors are a lot more efficient and give you over 3 minutes of flight time , they would've had a bunch of phantoms with the old motors being returned . Also a ton of phone calls ftom angry customers wanting their motors replaced . In my opinion dji had no choice but to downplay the improvements at least until all of the inventory had turned over and all the units with the old motors were sold . Just my opinion. Either way the phantom 3 is an amazing piece of technology. No matter which motors that are on your phantom.

So no company (or DJI) has ever improved a product? It's done all the time with very little issues. Heck, DJI even did it with the Inspire 1 and the new camera.

You release a product, such as the Phantoms and then you announce a new and improved motor in a "new" Phantom (Phantom 3.5 Advanced and Professional) and you also start selling the new motors at a premium price. People still buy the other model Phantoms as they are a little cheaper and not much different in performance. Some people complain that they just bought a Phantom 3 and would have bought the Phantom 3.5 (sound familiar?) but in the end this is what always happens when a new product comes out. It will happen when the Phantom 4 is released.

So.... it's done all of the time. There is no good indication that the new motors are any better. We've seen "tests" but those side by side tests were showing 17 minute hover times on the old motors and most of us get 18-20 minutes of real flying time... longer then the new motors in that hover test.

What I'm saying is... I've yet to see any _real) indication that the motors are any different and only the information from the manufacture that they are not.

Hi Lam, I had a similar experience with DJI repair, they fixed my bird and sent it back but I could never get an explanation on what they found. I guess they figure you aren't play, so they ain't saying, lol.
His long did the entire process take u to get back ?

So no company (or DJI) has ever improved a product? It's done all the time with very little issues. Heck, DJI even did it with the Inspire 1 and the new camera.

You release a product, such as the Phantoms and then you announce a new and improved motor in a "new" Phantom (Phantom 3.5 Advanced and Professional) and you also start selling the new motors at a premium price. People still buy the other model Phantoms as they are a little cheaper and not much different in performance. Some people complain that they just bought a Phantom 3 and would have bought the Phantom 3.5 (sound familiar?) but in the end this is what always happens when a new product comes out. It will happen when the Phantom 4 is released.

So.... it's done all of the time. There is no good indication that the new motors are any better. We've seen "tests" but those side by side tests were showing 17 minute hover times on the old motors and most of us get 18-20 minutes of real flying time... longer then the new motors in that hover test.

What I'm saying is... I've yet to see any _real) indication that the motors are any different and only the information from the manufacture that they are not.

Have you flown the new ones next to your old one ?? They are definitely more efficient / quieter/ less heat. There is no question. I have both, my advanced has old my pro has new.

It's up to everyone else to decide if the look of the old ones and possibly "stronger build quality" or new technology / higher efficiency / cooler running motors of the new ones is better for them.

I have charged both my birds up to 100%, taken them both off at the same time and let them hover to auto land in the same spot with my brother. New ones lasted 3:20 longer and did not heat up like the old ones and noticeably quieter.

I'm not bashing the old motors ... I have them and love them, I just love my new ones a little bit more that's all.

But I can't pretend DJI hasn't made a marginal upgrade with the new motors and ESC's.

It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Have you flown the new ones next to your old one ?? They are definitely more efficient / quieter/ less heat. There is no question. I have both, my advanced has old my pro has new.

I have flown both just not side by side. I've not noticed any longer flight time with the new motors. There is no doubt that they sound different.

A good test might be to set up identical waypoints of substantial distances and fly them both on those waypoints. See what voltage/percent of battery is left at the end. I'm betting its either the same or a difference that really does not matter.

The main thing I'm shying away from is giving people the impression that they don't have a good product if they have the "old' motors. I think we all agree the old motors are just fine but when we make certain comments in posts some people are going to see that as saying the "new" motors are far superior and anyone with he old motors have an inferior product. I'm just trying to balance out those posts with my own input.

I have flown both just not side by side. I've not noticed any longer flight time with the new motors. There is no doubt that they sound different.

A good test might be to set up identical waypoints of substantial distances and fly them both on those waypoints. See what voltage/percent of battery is left at the end. I'm betting its either the same or a difference that really does not matter.

The main thing I'm shying away from is giving people the impression that they don't have a good product if they have the "old' motors. I think we all agree the old motors are just fine but when we make certain comments in posts some people are going to see that as saying the "new" motors are far superior and anyone with he old motors have an inferior product. I'm just trying to balance out those posts with my own input.

I appreciate that!

I know it won't happen but it would be really good to hear from DJI about why they changed officially !! Unfortunately when you ask them online you get answers like this one in the photo lol !!!!
5b89ca6b7f8f52e62fe2eba4a81c099f.jpg

Another thing that makes me question if their change to the 2312a was due to an issue of some sort is, most reports of people sending their old motor phantom 3 in end up with their replacement having 2312a. But could just be my misunderstanding.

I think the next firmware update may shed some light on things.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4