Is this the reason they are falling out of the sky???

There is no actual proof that they changed motors to save cost .. That's just people with the old motors trying to convince themselves what they have is better.

I do however agree a lot of it may be due to the cold & people not upgrading to 1.6.

I have a p3a with the old Motors and a p3p with the new ones and personally prefer the new ones (so far) in every aspect.

I'm now wondering if the new firmware is somehow optimized for the 800kv motors and when the p3 is pushed its overloading the mosfets on the older centre boards with the 960kv motors? Reminiscent of what seemed to be happening to some people when DJI revised the motors on the p2v+ and ran them with the old esc's and people were having issues ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you look at the design of the old motors vs new then it's easy to see why there would be slightly more cost associated with the design of the old motors.

If you look at the design of the old motors vs new then it's easy to see why there would be slightly more cost to the design of the old motors.

I personally neither complete disagree or agree with this, the old motors design is actually quite old , reusing design from previous phantom models.
So if anything maybe cheaper and cost more to redesign. Or maybe cost wasn't their motivation, maybe just a better engineered product? Technology changes and brings design changes with it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I personally neither complete disagree or agree with this, the old motors design is actually quite old , reusing design from previous phantom models.
So if anything maybe cheaper and cost more to redesign. Or maybe cost wasn't their motivation, maybe just a better engineered product? Technology changes and brings design changes with it.

IMO the newer motors look cheaper in design. The fact that we don't even get an extra minute in flight time tells me this was a cost savings measure.

IMO the newer motors look cheaper in design. The fact that we don't even get an extra minute in flight time tells me this was a cost savings measure.

DJI Phantom 3 Professional battery comparison sheet

You are clearly not speaking from experience. I have one with old and one with new motors. Def more time with new motors.

Also 800kv is more appropriately suited for a 4s battery
960kv is more suited for 3s

You guys have all taken the 'bait' and are focused on motors while the real problem is the battery.

It's not up to the job at lower temps. DJI basically admitted this in the FW release notes yet many say DJI will never tell you what's wrong (sort-of-speak).

Do we even know DJI makes motors? It might be that they changed suppliers or it was a revision change by the manufacturer.

I directly have a old motor w323 and w323a and the a records 25-26 minutes on healthly drones while the advanced recorded 21-23 minutes.

I believe the new motors deliver the flight time that the standard does. The new motors are more efficient and perform adequate performance. The orginal motors are very good motors but were IMHO to powerful for the chasis they were mounted.

I have built RC planes and helicopers with brushless motors, and with higher KV motors I would always build stronger. It is more critical with helipcopters/quads.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Any manufacturer with a single-source supplier for any part is subject to that supplier's business.

BLDC motors are a commodity and there are hundreds of suppliers.

How many are really falling out of the sky? Out of the thousands prob sold by Dji I have read about 7 or less over various dji forums. I could see all your talking points if that number was really in the hundreds....but it isnt. I'm new to this but what I have seen reading in these forums is a lot of hype and Speculation over this issue. Is it motors, sun spots, cold temps, esc problems, battery probs, the earth's rotation, was it a full moon out, so on and so forth. Gets kinda crazy huh?

Reactions: Meta4
After reading the posts concerning so many issues with Phantom 3, I think I'll purchase a less expensive drone. Might not have as many features, but if it falls out of the sky, I won't feel quite as badly.

After reading all this, I am not sure I want to fly in the cold till there is some more info from DJI. Sounds like a lot of theories etc. I flew last weekend when it was around 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside, no issues. Batteries were warm too before flying. All firmwares on both RC & the bird are up to date.

It seems common sense to me. As long as your system is up to date and you follow common sense procedures before, during and after flights, I would not be afraid to fly your aircraft. If you're truly up to speed with what you need to know about your phantom and it's behaving properly and consistently, the best thing most people can do is to not hang out on forums nearly as much as we tend to do. They serve little more purpose than to keep you on the edge of paranoia. You can't live through some other peoples reports of problems or project them onto your perfectly working bird. It's counter productive to why we're in this- the fun. We spent some big dollars for the fun. Just fly. Shame for the people who have problems. If you don't, you got a good one. Rest easy and fly, man. It's really that simple.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Thanks, I will try. A lot of good information on here. Guess got to take some of this lightly. But make good judgement calls too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub