Is this really the quality?

ND8 filter was used. I would have normally used ND16 for smoothing the video out, but the clouds were spotty, in and out that day so I settled on ND8.
Wow, that's impressive.
My experience so far is if I have either ND8 or ND16 filter on when I take a photo, it will turn out blurry and muddy. I have to swap to the stock DJI UV filter if I plan to take photos.

So lets take a look. Same location, same time.

phantom-comps.jpg

This is much worse than the two DNGs you posted in your original post

ND8 filter was used. I would have normally used ND16 for smoothing the video out, but the clouds were spotty, in and out that day so I settled on ND8.

Yep, lovely crisp pic there, John. What are the other settings do you have on the cam and those for videography when using the ND8?

I just got my P3 Pro and did some test flying over the weekend. I didn't like the photos that looked extremely blurry or out of focus. I just took a couple more pictures hand holding the drone. To me they still look blurry but I am used to the quality of Canon EOS 5D mark II. Can somebody please take a look and tell if this is the quality I should expect or there is something wrong with it. Everybody writes about the removing the plastic from the lens but I didn't see anything like that on mine... Thanks!

Dropbox - Phantom

Your comparing a 12 M pixel sensor to a 25 M pixel sensor? Learn the exposure triangle and remember the P3P has a fixed aperture of f/2.8. As a rule of thumb, try using a minimum of 1/500s shutter speed and adjust ISO accordingly.

No there's definitely something wrong there your picture should not be blurry like that, if I didn't know better it looks like a fingerprint on lens lol that's what my glasses look like when my kids grab them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I borrowed another P3 Pro to run a test and the below is the final result (same time, location and settings). I just started a return process on eBay...

phantom-test.jpg

Reactions: StevenQX
Huge difference. Have you used the same dji go app with the same settings?
Yes - upgraded both birds and RC units to the same firmware and completed the same calibration. I then shot a series of photos using both manual and auto on the same altitude.

Ignore all the people who say you can't get same quality as Canon 5D and that is your problem. Of course you can't but your photos definitely have some issue going on with focus. I downloaded your photos in Lightroom and looked at them closely. The images are not sharp. I would be very unhappy if my Phantom 3 photos came out like that.It can't be that your shutter speed was too slow as it was 1/500s. Nothing seems sharp in your photos. You definitely have an issue somewhere..lens not aligned? any crashes?

Last edited:
so that actually looks like a manufacturing defect, those cameras have an infinite focus pint, and the lens screws in close to the sensor, its possible that in manufacture that the lens didn't get screwed in close or far enough away. i would call dji and make them aware of this.

Also, try cleaning the lens with a charcoal lens cleaner pen, available from Walmart in the photo section for like 11 bucks. see if that helps any.

EDIT: or a crash knocked it loose as the above poster stated,

Ignore all the people who say you can't get same quality as Canon 5D and that is your problem. Of course you can't but your photos definitely have some issue going on with focus. I downloaded your photos in Lightroom and looked at them closely. The images are not sharp. I would be very unhappy if my Phantom 3 photos came out like that.It can't be that your shutter speed was too slow as it was 1/500s. Nothing seems sharp in your photos. You definitely have an issue somewhere..lens not aligned? any crashes?
I didn't crash it but don't know what happened before as I confirmed in the other thread that it was probably used.

You think an aircraft without wings hovering in the air on 4 rotors with a 4k camera in it is going to come close to the EOS5D sitting on a tripod? With that being said both pictures are a mess from a lighting standpoint. If you're concerned about focus depth of filed you need to familiarize yourself with aperature settings and how to use them to increase depth of field. "Most" people with an EOS 5D would know this. Right ?

I'd like to familiarize myself with the P3 aperture settings. How does one do that?

The closest I've been able to come to changing apertures is to paste a small Aperture Science decal on the lens. Didn't work out so well.

Reactions: Richard Gozinya
I'd like to familiarize myself with the P3 aperture settings. How does one do that?

The closest I've been able to come to changing apertures is to paste a small Aperture Science decal on the lens. Didn't work out so well.

I forgot the phantom has fixed aperature. Experiment with the shutter speed and ISO. If you want pictures that look like 6D quality strap your 6D onto your phantom and try flying with it. Let me know what happens.

Reactions: Lefty63

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20