Is there a way to search for an owner by FA #?

Reaction score
I've been in a rabbit hole at faa.gov for 20 minutes, and I can't seem to find it.

Some poor kid's UAV crashed near my house, and I have the FA3#, but don't have a way to contact the owner.
Thanks

Nice of you, but... How do you know it was a kid's?

The below was found here: FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data
"The FAA is not posting the names and street addresses of registered owners because the data is exempt from disclosure under a FOIA exemption that protects information in agency files from a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy."

Thus, it seems there is no mechanism for the return by/between civilians based on FAA Drone Registration.
Kinda like I can't ID you from your car's license plate.

And maybe because an adult should have the ability to know to put your name and contact info on the darn thing, too.
Exactly!
I have my phone number on both my P3S and P3A. It is written on a sticker labeled Contact Number and is stuck on the underside near the gimbal mount. Also I have my Raacke Rotor logo and address taped on the top of each aircraft.

The best option is to go to your local Sheriff's Office or Police Dept and turn it in to them. They can contact the FAA (call their local FSDO) and within a few minutes they will have the registered owner's name & contact #. I've been involved in returning a couple of aircraft to their rightful owners over the last year.

The best option is to go to your local Sheriff's Office or Police Dept and turn it in to them. They can contact the FAA (call their local FSDO) and within a few minutes they will have the registered owner's name & contact #. I've been involved in returning a couple of aircraft to their rightful owners over the last year.

Beat me to it!!! The police can get the info... not that they’ll know how to, but they can. I had to look into finding out how once...

Reactions: BigAl07
Nice of you, but... How do you know it was a kid's?

The below was found here: FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data
"The FAA is not posting the names and street addresses of registered owners because the data is exempt from disclosure under a FOIA exemption that protects information in agency files from a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy."

Thus, it seems there is no mechanism for the return by/between civilians based on FAA Drone Registration.
Kinda like I can't ID you from your car's license plate.

Interesting. Ownership info is available for N numbered aircraft.

Correct.

You are right but FAA sUAS Reg #'s are not "usually" N# aircraft although it is possible to get one for a sUAS but not an ideal situation.

Since the inception of Drone Registration it's been noted that it is not publicly available information since it's possible that operators under 18 will have their contact information in the database and we don't need THAT can of worms opened and shared on the WWW.

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
You are right but FAA sUAS Reg #'s are not "usually" N# aircraft although it is possible to get one for a sUAS but not an ideal situation.

Since the inception of Drone Registration it's been noted that it is not publicly available information since it's possible that operators under 18 will have their contact information in the database and we don't need THAT can of worms opened and shared on the WWW.
Looks like if the O.P. was under 18 it should be registered to the parents or legal guardian!
To me it would make sense to be able to report finding a drone or R.C. plane and some body
could inform the O.P. of the recovery and it's where abouts! The FAA says you have to register
so I think that would make it possible for them to make the notification to O.P. just saying!

Looks like if the O.P. was under 18 it should be registered to the parents or legal guardian!
To me it would make sense to be able to report finding a drone or R.C. plane and some body
could inform the O.P. of the recovery and it's where abouts! The FAA says you have to register
so I think that would make it possible for them to make the notification to O.P. just saying!

When the whole "Registration" thing came to light there was a huge up-rising because many people were concerned about so many "young-ins" having drones and the potential for their private information being on the WWW. So the FAA listened and made it to where the information is only available for Law Enforcement.

I could easily argue either way but I do think it should be kept private and let those young-ins register it themselves. Just my 2-cents :)

Here's the statement from the FAA:

Is there a minimum age requirement?

A. Yes. You must be 13 years of age or older before you are permitted to register an unmanned aircraft. If the owner is less than 13 years of age, then a person who is at least 13 years of age must register the unmanned aircraft.

When the whole "Registration" thing came to light there was a huge up-rising because many people were concerned about so many "young-ins" having drones and the potential for their private information being on the WWW. So the FAA listened and made it to where the information is only available for Law Enforcement.

I could easily argue either way but I do think it should be kept private and let those young-ins register it themselves. Just my 2-cents :)

Here's the statement from the FAA:

Is there a minimum age requirement?

A. Yes. You must be 13 years of age or older before you are permitted to register an unmanned aircraft. If the owner is less than 13 years of age, then a person who is at least 13 years of age must register the unmanned aircraft.
It's crazy but kid use guns but they are registered to adults if they are registered guns!
But you know how that goes I guess you'll never get everything that the government
has anything to do with make "perfect sense"! Have a good one thanks for the reply!?

They don't need to release the information! The FAA could make the notification of a found
drone or R.C. to the owners! They might make the notification if the drone killed somebody
or it was found in somebody's living room! There should be some way of notifications of found
Equipment!?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers