Contact Airport

Reaction score
Been away from flying due to health issues, all better now. I have blanket area airspace authorization for local airport (Class D). Not a LAANC Airport. The tower said there is a new way for notification of flight in airspace. Said to had to notify them via online, faa.gov. I've looked and can't seem to find the proper page. Or is airport notification even required? Can anyone head me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
Airspace authorization is still good until September 30. In our authorization, it states that we will contact ATC prior to flight. Apparently the "contact ATC" part is no longer required to obtain airspace authorization. You only need LAANC or a valid airspace authorization to fly within the zone. ATC seemed to be saying that they didn't need to be contacted prior to flight?

I just called a small local airport yesterday they made me send an email. But i was pretty darn close. Prob 3 miles. Only needed 100ft agl to film a car but they always give approval.. just said send flight info.

I just called a small local airport yesterday they made me send an email. But i was pretty darn close. Prob 3 miles. Only needed 100ft agl to film a car but they always give approval.. just said send flight info.

While that may work for you, that is not the correct way to do that. And the airport can get in trouble if they have controller airspace. You say it's a "small local airport", which may mean a G Airspace airport. In which case a courtesy call is probably not a bad idea. But it is not required.

If it is a D or E2 airport, they are violating FAA regulations by giving you permissions.

I'm not posting this to criticize you, but to educate others. It sounds like you have a good relationship with that airport. That's awesome!

Airspace authorization is still good until September 30. In our authorization, it states that we will contact ATC prior to flight. Apparently the "contact ATC" part is no longer required to obtain airspace authorization. You only need LAANC or a valid airspace authorization to fly within the zone. ATC seemed to be saying that they didn't need to be contacted prior to flight?
Look the airport manager up on SkyVector and get in contact with him/her. He/she will put you in contact with the tower people and you can get it straightened out with what they want exactly. Don't rely on second hand information; go to the source. I suspect they are going to say you don't need to notify them anymore. I would get that in writing to cover your bases; just for your records in case anyone ask you.

I operate in similar circumstances and I am no longer required to notify the tower prior to takeoff but I also file NOTAMs via the ENII system on every flight.

If you're flying under a valid AA and it states "Contact ATC" then you are to contact ATC. Unless it's revised to omit ATC contact, you follow it to the letter. If you deviate from what you've "Agreed to do in writing" with the FAA and something goes wrong you are the one at fault.

Look the airport manager up on SkyVector and get in contact with him/her. He/she will put you in contact with the tower people and you can get it straightened out with what they want exactly. Don't rely on second hand information; go to the source. I suspect they are going to say you don't need to notify them anymore. I would get that in writing to cover your bases; just for your records in case anyone ask you.

I operate in similar circumstances and I am no longer required to notify the tower prior to takeoff but I also file NOTAMs via the ENII system on every flight.

Def get it in writing and with someone's name etc from the other end. Always CYA because we all know when it gets dirty you'll be out there on your own.

So.. im at a loss moss photography.. i may sound ignorant but these laws are constantly changing.. what is the right course of action..because im a hobby flyer I shouldn't be flying next to an airport regardless? Only in approved fields? I use airmap or kitty hawk. But that doesn't notify anyone.. i figured letting them know was the safe thing to do. I was literally in their flight path... they loop and come in for their approach right over my head. I felt like it was the safe and right things to do even though i never went above 150ft. I was filming a car at my shop after some upgrades. Nothing serious. But could be if your not safe. I appreciate you letting me know. And I very much respect your opinion and knowledge. If you dont mind telling me the proper course of action. There is also an awesome rock quarry a few miles from the hospital helipad and its gets some action every now and then. How would i go about flying there? Dont. Or notify hospital or duke med evac? Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

Last edited:
So.. im at a loss moss photography.. i may sound ignorant but these laws are constantly changing.. what is the right course of action..because im a hobby flyer I shouldn't be flying next to an airport regardless? Only in approved fields? I use airmap or kitty hawk. But that doesn't notify anyone.. i figured letting them know was the safe thing to do. I was literally in their flight path... they loop and come in for their approach right over my head. I felt like it was the safe and right things to do even though i never went above 150ft. I was filming a car at my shop after some upgrades. Nothing serious. But could be if your not safe. I appreciate you letting me know. And I very much respect your opinion and knowledge. If you dont mind telling me the proper course of action. There is also an awesome rock quarry a few miles from the hospital helipad and its gets some action every now and then. How would i go about flying there? Dont. Or notify hospital or duke med evac? Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

You say "I use airmap or kittyhawk". Do you mean you're getting LAANC authorization through them? If YES, then they are APPROVING your request which is notification.

Don't confuse HOBBY authorizations with Part 107 etc. Part 107 may come with some notification requirements that hobby don't.

You get authorization for the Airspace you're flying in and that authorization would constitute notification. You'll have to look on those Aps to determine what airspace you're trying to fly in and get approval (if needed) prior to launching.

It's not needed whether I fly next to the hospital with a heliport or I fly to miles away from the airport it says approval not needed/submitted because.. it's not required so I feel like I'm flying unsafe if helicopter comes into the hospital and we also have a few military craft at the small very small airport and a few helicopters. They fly ospreys around the area and an apache does some drills on a regular basis. Now i noticed in the hour time frame i gave them. There seemed to be less aircraft in my direct area. Seems. Maybe they did give pilots a heads-up. I Could see if i was causing problems or tying up the phone lines or keeping the airport distracted. But I figured i was doing a good thing letting them know. Please advise proper procedures . And this is for hobby. At the moment. 107 in progress. Thanks for the help

......Or notify hospital or duke med evac? .....

How close are you to RDU? Where are you flying specifically as we might be able to look it up on the sectional and give better guidance.

Reactions: R Martin
Im in Burlington!! Lol Graham really. Kbuy is the airport. It doesnt have a real tower. I mean I feel like an idiot. I know i dont have to call everytime. But man I just dont wanna get in trouble.

Reactions: BigAl07
it says class e until 530 to 0000 other than that its g but also its "closed" on the weekends.. but that's when there is the most activity. Never been hassled cause I don't fly like an idiot. But i fly local all the time

Reactions: BigAl07
We've revised and submitted our airspace authorization request eliminating the requirement to contact ATC prior to flight. It was approved this Wednesday. I guess ATC figures if you have the Part 107, you're not going to do stupid things. Anyways this works for us.

I don't think so. But I know their approach. Its a small local airport. And the guys and gals are cool and respectful. Id rather take 5 mins and write them an email with my info then cause any trouble. Ya know. They even emailed me back after my flight and said they trusted it went well. Sometime going the little extra mile helps. Then when they see your face or name of your company at their cousins wedding. They know your legit. Lol

You say "I use airmap or kittyhawk". Do you mean you're getting LAANC authorization through them? If YES, then they are APPROVING your request which is notification.

Don't confuse HOBBY authorizations with Part 107 etc. Part 107 may come with some notification requirements that hobby don't.

You get authorization for the Airspace you're flying in and that authorization would constitute notification. You'll have to look on those Aps to determine what airspace you're trying to fly in and get approval (if needed) prior to launching.
I fly close to a small airport. No tower. At first I would call and all I get is an answering machine. I never talked to anyone. I just left a message with my name and phone number. What should I do.

I fly close to a small airport. No tower. At first I would call and all I get is an answering machine. I never talked to anyone. I just left a message with my name and phone number. What should I do.

a) Check one of the apps mentioned above and find out what Airspace you're operating in
b) if "controlled" you'll need to get either LAANC approval (it they are participating in LAANC) or go through FAADroneZone to get the authorization
c) if NOT controlled then you really don't "have" to do anything more than maintain VLOS and always See-&-Avoid all other aircraft. When flying in close proximity I like to try and make contact if I can. Leaving a Voicemail, Text, Email are your best effort to make conact.

It's important to know and understand that actual airspace you're operating in so you know how to handle (or not) getting approval to fly LEGALLY.

Reactions: R Martin
I ran into this problem a few times with small private airports. Both gave me grief and tried to tell me I couldn't fly (in Class G airspace that is BS). I was approximately three miles from the airpatch which put me outside of any pattern. So I decided from that point that I would not notify any private airport and instead file my NOTAM through Center instead which ANY pilot will notice if they do a proper pre-flight and file a flight plan. Problem solved (but my flights are all commercial under 107).
If you are flying under 14 CFR 107 it can work for you as well. If you are flying recreationally, I would ensure that I was beyond a bare minimum of 1NM radius from the official airport center. You don't need permission to operate within Class G airspace. You do have to follow the regulations while you are operating and you are the low man on the totem pole. You must yield the airspace to any aircraft. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan