Is there A Phantom 4 Without 'Horizon Tilt' Problem?

I think the building is giving the illusion of a tilt.

If you scan the picture up towards the grey bar (above these posts), it looks pretty darn even.

The horizon that is..

Compare that horizon to my monster tilt! :) :)

I like my P4, but the horizon tilt issue is always there. And yes, it's worse than my P3P. I'm constantly using the C2 wheel adjustment method to setup the next shot. Wind definitely increases the occurrence. I believe this is caused by the IMU sensor, DJI using one that has inadequate sensitivity. DJI obviously knows they have a problem with all of the exchanges they do, but after shipping P4s for almost a year now, apparently it's not fixable with firmware, which leads me to believe it's H/W related, and unfix-able. It's one of DJI's warts that we learn how to deal with.

The P4P has a major gimbal twitch that I'm waiting to be resolved before I buy one. It's usually reproducible by flying fast and making a left turn. Gimbles are very complicated. Just 4yrs ago a gimbal (by itself) would cost $1500 for one as good as we have on a Phantom. I hope DJI puts more attention to this issue going forward.

Last edited:
I did not payed so much attention to how straight horizon is until I came across this topic.
Just skip those horizon shots, rarely make them myself and how interesting are they anyways?! :)

I did not payed so much attention to how straight horizon is until I came across this topic.
Just skip those horizon shots, rarely make them myself and how interesting are they anyways?! :)

Really?

I think horizon shots can be some of the coolest shots one can get..

Reactions: Blah
I think the building is giving the illusion of a tilt.

If you scan the picture up towards the grey bar (above these posts), it looks pretty darn even.

The horizon that is..

Most important thing is what you think about it :)

Really?

I think horizon shots can be some of the coolest shots one can get..

Well, better for you to find drone without tilt!
No seriously, I dont take that many photos of horizon, I mostly do nature movies, fly by´s...man when I fly that drone I have 100 other things to concentrate on then that darn horizon....until now! hehehe

Well, better for you to find drone without tilt!
No seriously, I dont take that many photos of horizon, I mostly do nature movies, fly by´s...man when I fly that drone I have 100 other things to concentrate on then that darn horizon....until now! hehehe
Yep like tryin to see where u r but cant cause tablet picture frozen,,nearly pressed thunderbird rescue button,,,not sure what happen tryin to fix now

My favourite video has some tilted horizon in it, but if the composition is right it won't matter.

:sweatsmile:

Ummm.....What?
Hi sorry was reading post before,,when u said got more to think about than horizon when flyin,,i just had lot to think about with mine,i took off sweet but my screen on tablet had a frozen picture,,,thunderbird rescue my nicknane 4 RTH:)

I get frustrated with this issue too... I always assume it is when I use my ND filters but it seems to randomly happen. Other times when I do a gimbal auto calibration etc then it'll be fine. Here's one of the last pictures I took.

6c5e44ed09188b9ddd3f08102e64d883.jpg

I figure it's just the way these gimbals are built. On my P4 it comes and goes, but usually no more than a few degrees, which is pretty acceptable unless shooting horizon shots. When I yaw or turn, it gets worse - sometimes left sometimes right. Nowadays I am getting pretty good at using the C2 combination while flying. It fixes almost all tilt issues except for when it gets close to really bad tilts like 7-8 degrees during acceleration or turns. That can only be corrected in post-production.

Last edited:
Before I read the comments about this issue, i thought all my pictures were perfect but I guess not anymore.
:-(

upload_2017-3-10_8-21-45.png

Here is an example of one of the more dramatic 7 degree tilts that happened the other day while slowly panning (rotating) to the right. The alignment readjusted itself as soon as I stopped the pan, and did not come back during the rest of the flight. These things just happen. Not the end of the world, and since you can see the tilt on in the screen right away, you can just reshoot.

Last edited:
Thank you all for contributing to this thread. Following these responses, I guess it is safe to conclude that approximately 90% of all Phantom 4 drones out there are plagued by this dreadful 'Horizon Tilt' problem. The other 10%, the owners are probably in denial or simply just got lucky.

I use my birds solely for aerial photography. Honestly speaking, I find it totally unacceptable. Even though they are currently three generations old, I will still continue using my two P3P until DJI finds a more permanent solution.

In the meantime, watch DJI unveil the next Phantom 5, still with the EACT same Horizon Tilt problem.......Their R&D team must be constantly on vacation. SMH

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor