Is there A Phantom 4 Without 'Horizon Tilt' Problem?

My tilt is very inconsistent, at times no tilt even in a 15+mph wind and then it's off in no wind. At times I fly a whole battery perfect level and the next battery it just will not hold. I correct with C2 and sometimes it's stays' others not. I'm not sure if this is all in my head but it seems that if I power up on a good level surface it's better.

DJI Support's response to gimbal tilt (after reviewing all user submitted logs) is that the problem is pilot error and has nothing to do with their gimbal.

According to DJI: "DJI gimbals maintain perfect level. This is because the Earth is, in fact, tilted. DJI gimbals are performing as expected and their behavior is a feature, not a flaw."

/jk

My tilt is very inconsistent, at times no tilt even in a 15+mph wind and then it's off in no wind. At times I fly a whole battery perfect level and the next battery it just will not hold. I correct with C2 and sometimes it's stays' others not. I'm not sure if this is all in my head but it seems that if I power up on a good level surface it's better.

It is not in your head, it is inconsistent, or, it depends on many different parameters at least in our cases. Like imu calibration, starting point every flight, adjusted gimbal level from previous flight , fluctuations during flight...
Just one more thing to get used to and to learn to manipulate during flight with all other things going on. c2+right wheel,
suh dude :)

DJI replaced my original P4 due to airframe cracks, and this replacement keeps a better horizon. I'll still get some tilt in different wind and speed conditions, but I'm happy.

Does anybody have problems with range on the p4. I sent it back and the techs where I purchased it said this.

"Radio was on custom channel, switched to auto, range issue no longer exists." What does this mean? I'll be getting this back Wednesday.

Does anybody have problems with range on the p4. I sent it back and the techs where I purchased it said this.

"Radio was on custom channel, switched to auto, range issue no longer exists." What does this mean? I'll be getting this back Wednesday.

The radio will constantly skip between the available channels and will always try to pick the one that has the least disturbances.There is a way to manually set a certain channel and thereby disabling the automatic channel select function. My experience is that it is best left at the default (auto) setting. According to the message, your radio was set to custom channel and they simply set it back to default. The job took probably less than 10 seconds, I hope they are not charging you for significantly more than that.

I have no issues with range, but I think it is about your expectations. 1-2 km is usually no problems with clear LOS. 3 km is doable in certain conditions, but that is the max range for the video feed (it is extremely choppy, keeps coming and going and hardly usable for flying). Anything beyond that and the video gets lost. The control signal is still fine though.

This topic is about gimbals if I am not wrong?

No you are right. I was just trying to be helpful to Hawkwind, but I stand corrected.

Not trying to be rude, I just see that "no more new threads about P4 range" official topic every time I visit p4 discussion forum :)

N
The radio will constantly skip between the available channels and will always try to pick the one that has the least disturbances.There is a way to manually set a certain channel and thereby disabling the automatic channel select function. My experience is that it is best left at the default (auto) setting. According to the message, your radio was set to custom channel and they simply set it back to default. The job took probably less than 10 seconds, I hope they are not charging you for significantly more than that.

I have no issues with range, but I think it is about your expectations. 1-2 km is usually no problems with clear LOS. 3 km is doable in certain conditions, but that is the max range for the video feed (it is extremely choppy, keeps coming and going and hardly usable for flying). Anything beyond that and the video gets lost. The control signal is still fine though.

Thank you for your feedback. I was aware of how the radio switches from channel to channel,but what puzzled me is how it got to custom. I just don't recall ever changing to that mode;however being 70yrs old I may have had one of those infamous senior moments. In any event there was no charge for any work done and l'm just looking forward to getting my p4 back and start flying again.

I did not payed so much attention to how straight horizon is until I came across this topic.
Just skip those horizon shots, rarely make them myself and how interesting are they anyways?! :)
Idk seems like they aren't too bad to look at.
c290b172153f5000a2921ab147c12ccc.jpg

Two more days I'll have my drone back from the folks I purchased it from.I will go through all my pre checks and take it up in the air and start photographing. Hopefully my problems with the drone will be solved.

Personally used or owned 9 P4s, two P3s and one Mavic Pro. All but my very first P3 had the horizon tilt to varying degrees. No fix or calibration ever lasted long, if it worked at all.

I have only had my p4 since February 2017. First dozen flights or so it was fine. Now the horizon is always tilted. Manually adjusting the gimbal roll fixes the tilt until I yaw the phantom in any direction. IMU and gimbal calibrations do nothing.

Best case scenerio is sometimes my horizon is somewhat level. But even then when I yaw, even slowly, it will tilt. At which point I need to let the p4 hover for about 5 seconds and it will slowly become straight again.

I guess after reading everyone elses comments there is no reason to send it back for repair as it seems like it will end up being the same.

Exactly the same issue with mine fine at first put it up in air and wait on horizon to straighten back out

Ok, Got my P4 back. Forget fixing the horizon problem. Just deal with it. They,meaning anybody that services drones may say,"we fixed it";but the reality is you'll end up doing what is recommended by our better bloggers;people that have been dealing with these situations ever since there have been droners.However my range problems are no more and I finally went so far that my DJI GO voice told me to turn around or I would not make it back with the power that was left in the battery.WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That's a good thing.Anyway,I just want to thank again everybody for their help and advice on this blog.

I thought about sending my P4 in to have DJI try and fix the problem, but after IMU, Gimbal and Compass calibrations out in the middle of a field, it is much better. It's still not perfect but the 2 main causes now require significant effort to make it happen (very fast yaw or flying faster than 30mph), both of which I usually wouldn't do while recording.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor