Is the following an invasion of Privacy?

Is this an invasion of privacy ?

• Total voters
Are you actually referring to the Original Poster?

??

No - I am referring to the Quoted passage in that post..... quote of ''KMixson'' post where he says he confronts people ......

Nigel

??

No - I am referring to the Quoted passage in that post..... quote of ''KMixson'' post where he says he confronts people ......

Nigel
Oh. I didn’t get that out of his post. I thought most or all of what he said was about people confronting him. I didn’t see where he confronts people first.

Oh. I didn’t get that out of his post. I thought most or all of what he said was about people confronting him. I didn’t see where he confronts people first.

bsartist, You are correct. People confront me and I handle the situation. That is one reason I am the lead where I work. I can get the job done. When all else fails, they give the job to me. I am also trained in 1st responder duties. I am trained to take charge of the situation until more qualified personnel arrive to relieve me.

Guy already was prosecuted for shooting down a drone .... he claimed Drone was videoing his daughter sunbathing .......... at 8 o'clock at night ??
I believe he went to jail ... and then some bunch of do-gooder Tree-Huggers petitioned fro him to be released ....

Nigel
Spying with drones is such a misconception.but the public has been brainwashed. Anyone who’s says they’d shoot one down if they see one has some screws loose and is a real danger to society. Of course if one was flying around my house ar very low alt I would have a talk with owner but one flying over at 75+’ would not be an issue .people are always up in arms over what others do but what they do is all ok . Before I started flying had a neighbor that would fly his remote airplanes over and between our houses all the time was never an issue I enjoyed watching them . After all during the day even the buzz of a drone overhead is not as bad as the neighbors lawn mower ,are kids screaming,etc

Spying with drones is such a misconception.but the public has been brainwashed. Anyone who’s says they’d shoot one down if they see one has some screws loose and is a real danger to society. Of course if one was flying around my house ar very low alt I would have a talk with owner but one flying over at 75+’ would not be an issue .people are always up in arms over what others do but what they do is all ok . Before I started flying had a neighbor that would fly his remote airplanes over and between our houses all the time was never an issue I enjoyed watching them . After all during the day even the buzz of a drone overhead is not as bad as the neighbors lawn mower ,are kids screaming,etc

I would shoot one down over my land and I'm no danger at all to society.

Imagine buying a place out in the middle of no where to get away from all of the noises of the city. Now, your sitting in the middle of a 40 acre area that you consider your paradise, your piece of the Earth. You've worked your butt off for years to be able to buy it. I would not want someone flying in, flying around, while I'm sitting there trying to enjoy it!! Around the edge? Ok, nothing I can do about that. In the middle? It's coming down!

Some of you guys need to put some of this into some perspective. Some property owners put up with a lot of nonsense and in some area's you still own your property and do have some say in what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I probably would confront them first as a warning. I've also caught hunters and allowed them to stay, I've walked up on a guy that pulled a gun and told me it wasn't my property, trash, 4 wheelers, trees cut down, etc.........

We all don't live or hang out in the same area's. Different places have different rules, whether legal or "unwritten". :)

Anyone that understands guns will understand this.....If your over someones land and it(drone) can be taken down with a shotgun? It's too close!!! 200-300 feet or more up? who cares!!

That wasn't all directed to the quote, just replying and blended the thought with the rest of the posts I've read. :)

Last edited:
I would shoot one down over my land and I'm no danger at all to society.

Imagine buying a place out in the middle of no where to get away from all of the noises of the city. Now, your sitting in the middle of a 40 acre area that you consider your paradise, your piece of the Earth. You've worked your butt off for years to be able to buy it. I would not want someone flying in, flying around, while I'm sitting there trying to enjoy it!! Around the edge? Ok, nothing I can do about that. In the middle? It's coming down!

Some of you guys need to put some of this into some perspective. Some property owners put up with a lot of nonsense and in some area's you still own your property and do have some say in what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I probably would confront them first as a warning. I've also caught hunters and allowed them to stay, I've walked up on a guy that pulled a gun and told me it wasn't my property, trash, 4 wheelers, trees cut down, etc.........

We all don't live or hang out in the same area's. Different places have different rules, whether legal or "unwritten". :)

Anyone that understands guns will understand this.....If your over someones land and it(drone) can be taken down with a shotgun? It's too close!!! 200-300 feet or more up? who cares!!

That wasn't all directed to the quote, just replying and blended the thought with the rest of the posts I've read. :)
The big difference is alt agree if someone is 50’ overhead and buzzing your dwelling then a confrontation is in order but if someone’s flying over at a respectful alt then no difference then the crop duster that flys over my place every spring at 150’ turning to make his runs . And I live in a very rural place . All the same someone shoots at my drone will have some major issues to deal with and he would regret his choice

Reactions: Joker2415
The big difference is alt agree if someone is 50’ overhead and buzzing your dwelling then a confrontation is in order but if someone’s flying over at a respectful alt then no difference then the crop duster that flys over my place every spring at 150’ turning to make his runs . And I live in a very rural place . All the same someone shoots at my drone will have some major issues to deal with and he would regret his choice

I'm not anti drone at all. I just think private property should be respected with our drones. I'm not even for more laws...But there should be a respect that goes with flying these things around. There isn't going to be a one rule that fits all.

Either way, I've never shot one down, I don't think many of us have had one shot down, so it's all in fun!! :) We're all here for the some of the same interests.

If someone shoots at mine? Well? Where was I with it? Did I deserve it? I can't say they would regret their choice, that all depends on the situation.

Now, If I could just figure out how to teepee my neighbors house with it? That would be some funny stuff!!! We are friends by the way. :)

Last edited:
I'm not anti drone at all. I just think private property should be respected with our drones. I'm not even for more laws...But there should be a respect that goes with flying these things around. There isn't going to be a one rule that fits all.

Either way, I've never shot one down, I don't think many of us have had one shot down, so it's all in fun!! :) We're all here for the some of the same interests.

If someone shoots at mine? Well? Where was I with it? Did I deserve it? I can't say they would regret their choice, that all depends on the situation.

Now, If I could just figure out how to teepee my neighbors house with it? That would be some funny stuff!!! We are friends by the way. :)

I agree ... even if its not law - please respect other peoples expectation of being able to do in their garden etc. without thought of another spying ... even if not ...

Nigel

I agree ... even if its not law - please respect other peoples expectation of being able to do in their garden etc. without thought of another spying ... even if not ...

Nigel

Ya, it goes both ways, my thoughts were...not every one that would shoot a drone is "a danger to society" but not everyone with a drone is honest and respectful either. It all depends on situation.

Ya, it goes both ways, my thoughts were...not every one that would shoot a drone is "a danger to society" but not everyone with a drone is honest and respectful either. It all depends on situation.

I agree , it's all about the situation and if someone it's been and idiots messing with my privacy or just passing by ... remember they can't see your posted sing from up there so they may not even know they are flying over your property ....

Also why don't you try to shoot the airplanes that fly over your property if it bother you so much ? ;)

But shooting a drone down with a shot gun it's going to be very hard unless it's flying very low. I hunted ducks for years and it's very rare if any one reach one flying over 150 feet ... the small pellets don't have much weight and loses power and the pattern spreads up , won't even penetrate a cardboard over a couple hundred feets or so straight up. Slug shooting or rifle fast moving small target ? Forget it . You may get lucky one day if the guy fly by every day and you take a shot every day lol

So yes if you can shoot a drone down its flying to low but did he knew you don't like him flying over ?

Make a huge drone sing that they can see from the sky ... lol while you are at it make one for ETs ...

But yes under stream circumstance I did shoot one down my self to...

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I agree , it's all about the situation and if someone it's been and idiots messing with my privacy or just passing by ... remember they can't see your posted sing from up there so they may not even know they are flying over your property ....

Also why don't you try to shoot the airplanes that fly over your property if it bother you so much ? ;)

But shooting a drone down with a shot gun it's going to be very hard unless it's flying very low. I hunted ducks for years and it's very rare if any one reach one flying over 150 feet ... the small pellets don't have much weight and loses power and the pattern spreads up , won't even penetrate a cardboard over a couple hundred feets or so straight up. Slug shooting or rifle fast moving small target ? Forget it . You may get lucky one day if the guy fly by every day and you take a shot every day lol

So yes if you can shoot a drone down its flying to low but did he knew you don't like him flying over ?

Make a huge drone sing that they can see from the sky ... lol while you are at it make one for ETs ...

But yes under stream circumstance I did shoot one down my self to...

I agree...It all depends on situation.

But where is that line where Private property, means Private property? Comparing it to an airplane or even Google Earth isn't the same.

So, I should be allowed to just fly anywhere I want, take pictures of whatever I want as long as I'm not physically touching the ground over private property? Then do what ever I want with that footage too, Without asking? And I should be upset if I'm flying it around on someones property and they shoot at it or shoot it down?

This is all just for conversation. I'm really not ready to shoot at anyone's drone. And doubt I would actually do it. But I can see how it could happen pretty easily, and understand why, maybe. Some people really value their land and privacy. I'm ok with that!

Ohhh...Never mind my nonsense. I jumped in the thread just for fun. :)

The laws vary from state to state and county to county. But generally if you’re in the united stated you need permission to fly over anyone’s home , if you’re under 200 ft. And permission to fly over their property. Doesn’t ,matter if its for a second or 10 minutes. But I would go with the advice that its best to pick your battles. I have a similar problem with 2 neighbors out of 10. I just stay away from those 2!!! Problem solved!!

Can you please cite in the FAA rules part 101 subpart E, part 107 or your local laws where you obtained your information!

I'm not convienced there is any predefined minimum flight level (e.g. 200') over a home for sUAS. Facts benifit us all.

I thought the rules state you can fly over persons that are under safe cover, such as a protective structure (e.g. home) or stationary vehicle (e.g. non convertable automobile). If you were to read the Notice of Proposed Rule Making for sUAS Rules the discussions brought up many valid points of consideration but in the final rule making the FAA was vary cautious about over restricting what levels we can fly. We have a small slice of NAS from ground level to 400' in the USA and they don't specify 50', 100', 200' etc. for ones privacy. They have left that to community standards and organizations like the AMA. Unless your working some commercial venture it would be impractical to get permission to over fly everones or even ones property.

I try my best to be ethical and legal; so here is the result of my research from numerous sources.
1. There has to be a "reasonable expectation of privacy".
2. The National Airspace System tops out at 50,000 feet and bottoms out just above the grass in your backyard and the roof on your house.
3. The airspace above the dirt that your house sits on is considered a "regulated commons".
4. It is up to the individual to provide for his own privacy.
Examples: Anyplace inside your own home is private. Back yard, without a fence and roof: no expectation of privacy. Female sunbathing in the nude in the yard: Not private. Same thing with a tall fence: private from ground level but NOT from the air. Put a roof over it: private.
Fly over in a satellite, balloon, plane, helicopter, drone; no reasonable expectation of privacy. But land in the grass = trespassing. In flight, the FAA rules the operation and the US Supreme Court demands that the FAA prevails over state and local laws.
Take photos of the outside of a property: not trespassing and no expectation of privacy. Sunbathing female: unless privacy is provided, take all the photos you desire; not trespassing.
All these are legalities but ethics and reason should prevail. Many people are paranoid and unreasonable and demand political correctness. These same people are the type who would kill to enforce their warped views. Personally, I would not carry on a conversation with one of these type individuals, but if the police, who are mostly uninformed, tried to bully me, I would definitely and politely inform them of my rights and if they were not convinced, I would request a conversation with their chief. Of course, civility and ethics should always prevail. I contacted our local police chief in advance, told him of my drone activities and offered to inform him of the applicable laws regarding my activities. Now, he can assume that I know the laws and intend to not be in violation of them .I then flew over his house and took photos of it.
First hand experience: my wife is an artist. She and a fellow artist were photographing and painting a church. The priest demanded that they leave, grabbed their paintings and called the sheriff. NM law states that from a public road or other place, there is no expectation of privacy. They can paint, view and take photos all they want. That priest eventually was removed.
I try my best to be ethical and legal; so here is the result of my research from numerous sources.
1. There has to be a "reasonable expectation of privacy".
2. The National Airspace System tops out at 50,000 feet and bottoms out just above the grass in your backyard and the roof on your house.
3. The airspace above the dirt that your house sits on is considered a "regulated commons".
4. It is up to the individual to provide for his own privacy.
Examples: Anyplace inside your own home is private. Back yard, without a fence and roof: no expectation of privacy. Female sunbathing in the nude in the yard: Not private. Same thing with a tall fence: private from ground level but NOT from the air. Put a roof over it: private.
Fly over in a satellite, balloon, plane, helicopter, drone; no reasonable expectation of privacy. But land in the grass = trespassing. In flight, the FAA rules the operation and the US Supreme Court demands that the FAA prevails over state and local laws.
Take photos of the outside of a property: not trespassing and no expectation of privacy. Sunbathing female: unless privacy is provided, take all the photos you desire; not trespassing.
All these are legalities but ethics and reason should prevail. Many people are paranoid and unreasonable and demand political correctness. These same people are the type who would kill to enforce their warped views. Personally, I would not carry on a conversation with one of these type individuals, but if the police, who are mostly uninformed, tried to bully me, I would definitely and politely inform them of my rights and if they were not convinced, I would request a conversation with their chief. Of course, civility and ethics should always prevail. I contacted our local police chief in advance, told him of my drone activities and offered to inform him of the applicable laws regarding my activities. Now, he can assume that I know the laws and intend to not be in violation of them .I then flew over his house and took photos of it.
First hand experience: my wife is an artist. She and a fellow artist were photographing and painting a church. The priest demanded that they leave, grabbed their paintings and called the sheriff. NM law states that from a public road or other place, there is no expectation of privacy. They can paint, view and take photos all they want. That priest eventually was removed.
Not sure what country you reside in but in the United States our National Air Space tops out at FL600 or 60,000' MSL for Class A... that was on my part 107 exam.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Can you please cite in the FAA rules part 101 subpart E, part 107 or your local laws where you obtained your information!

I'm not convienced there is any predefined minimum flight level (e.g. 200') over a home for sUAS. Facts benifit us all.

I thought the rules state you can fly over persons that are under safe cover, such as a protective structure (e.g. home) or stationary vehicle (e.g. non convertable automobile). If you were to read the Notice of Proposed Rule Making for sUAS Rules the discussions brought up many valid points of consideration but in the final rule making the FAA was vary cautious about over restricting what levels we can fly. We have a small slice of NAS from ground level to 400' in the USA and they don't specify 50', 100', 200' etc. for ones privacy. They have left that to community standards and organizations like the AMA. Unless your working some commercial venture it would be impractical to get permission to over fly everones or even ones property.
I’m going on the fact that I was informed from my local sheriff that if I stayed around 200 ft I can fly over homes because of property rights . I live on outside of my city and have woods then homes around me, I have gotten permission by most of my neighbors to fly around because they know I’m not snooping or whatever, and for the ones that don’t say ok, If I fly lower it could be I’m trespassing on their property. I know there’s no FAA rule stating this , but unfortunately we are at a time of transition and too many entities are trying to regulate us!!!! I understand only FAA laws or rules are predominate , but you can’t tell that to a sheriff or city cop!! Well you can but I will have to pass on that because I know what they do when you tell them they can’t do something!!!! Lol ... until the laws are clear, until everyone understands its FAA who is in control of airspace, until they make more laws clarifying everything...... everyone will have to deal with their local government!!!!

I’m going on the fact that I was informed from my local sheriff that if I stayed around 200 ft I can fly over homes because of property rights . I live on outside of my city and have woods then homes around me, I have gotten permission by most of my neighbors to fly around because they know I’m not snooping or whatever, and for the ones that don’t say ok, If I fly lower it could be I’m trespassing on their property. I know there’s no FAA rule stating this , but unfortunately we are at a time of transition and too many entities are trying to regulate us!!!! I understand only FAA laws or rules are predominate , but you can’t tell that to a sheriff or city cop!! Well you can but I will have to pass on that because I know what they do when you tell them they can’t do something!!!! Lol ... until the laws are clear, until everyone understands its FAA who is in control of airspace, until they make more laws clarifying everything...... everyone will have to deal with their local government!!!!

I spent a few minutes trying to find this out. I can't believe this isn't actually defined.(that I could find so far) Just from reading a couple of quick articles which really don't carry much weight they "claimed" 80 ft..to 500ft is what you own above your land, depending..Which makes no sense to me because 80ft would be into the tops of some of my trees.Years and years....ago it was defined as ..From heaven to hell...Not worded that exact way but you get the point. So when you bought land in the US you owned to the heavens and down to the depths of hell....Of course that has all been changed...lol

Here's one article, no clue if the info is correct...If You Own Land, How Far Above and Below Do You Own?

The 200 ft or higher makes a little more sense to me. It seems this is all wide open and taken case by case with no real definition. I can't imagine buzzing around above someones property with no problems in a lot of areas. Some people really value their property and privacy.

I just flew around my property and told adjoining owners what I was doing just so that there were no problems and to kind of see what their feelings on it were. No issues.....Except one, which is National forest land, I knew not to even ask and that that is off limits...

I'm fairly new and I'm finding out....Whether Laws or not. Everyone that I've asked, didn't have a problem at all. I do know of a couple that if I wouldn't have asked there may have been an issue. Seems that people are less likely to care if they are asked first, it takes the "invasion" part of it out of the mix. They become curious and want to watch rather than run and call the cops.

Last edited:
Another example of a thread going too far and giving the forum a bad name. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked up by a moderator...

If that were my two story house and someone few that low and close, I would also be annoyed. Probably angry if it happened often. Of course, I'm in the "get off my lawn" age group so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Just curious, do you have problems with people that drive by your house in their car (which comes much closer to your house)? I can see having an issue if the drone was trying to peep in the windows or hover over the back yard really low (much lower than this). Airplanes fly overhead our house all the time, in the neighborhood of 500 ft (we live on a hill) and if they had occupants with telephoto lens cameras, they could see much more detail than shown on this video. Personally I view fly-overs at a distance equal to or greater than a car distance on the road out front as mostly a non-issue (if my house).

Just curious, do you have problems with people that drive by your house in their car
I would if they were loud and drove by often. Same with those exceptionally loud motorcycles. Its wonderful for you that you don't mind. Cheers.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94