Is the following an invasion of Privacy?

Is this an invasion of privacy ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
The complaint was I crossed over the MIDDLE OF HIS GARDEN, + HOVERED THERE FOR A SHORT WHILE. Was it an invasion of his privacy?
When offered a copy, he did NOT want to see the film!

Which house specifically made the complaint? Are these your neighbors by any chance?

In reality, the owner's "perception" is what matters most. Put yourself in his/her shoes and imagine you had a daughter who happened to be in the area and maybe sunbathing or something. Would you want some unknown character watching the area from above?

There is the LEGAL side of things and then there is the "ethical" side of things. Once in a while they don't mesh 100% but usually if you error on the ethical side of the decision you'll avoid the legal side as well.

The complaint was I crossed over the MIDDLE OF HIS GARDEN, + HOVERED THERE FOR A SHORT WHILE. Was it an invasion of his privacy?
When offered a copy, he did NOT want to see the film!

If that were my two story house and someone few that low and close, I would also be annoyed. Probably angry if it happened often. Of course, I'm in the "get off my lawn" age group so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Which house specifically made the complaint? Are these your neighbors by any chance?

In reality, the owner's "perception" is what matters most. Put yourself in his/her shoes and imagine you had a daughter who happened to be in the area and maybe sunbathing or something. Would you want some unknown character watching the area from above?

There is the LEGAL side of things and then there is the "ethical" side of things. Once in a while they don't mesh 100% but usually if you error on the ethical side of the decision you'll avoid the legal side as well.

As you say, (imagine,) that's the operative word here, I can imagine all types of things, but Hay there you go. As you also mentioned, that wonderful word ( PERCEPTION), So let me ask you something; do we all have to bend the knee and comply with ridiculousness twisted minds NO MATTER HOW MAD IT IS? . I had something similar about 20 years ago when working for the USAF at a base. I left a custom car mag on the corner of my desk cover facing upward. As normal flash car front cover, with bikini clad 20 year old draped over the bonnet. It was taken away, as someone, who was never identified, thought it was offensive. And the Master Sargent said to me, just as you outlined, it does not matter, if they feel offended. I replied; " P.C. B.S. And I can prove this I said, "Hoo yea how" he replied. I said to him, "well if we except you'r logic as is, I find you'r complaint and removal of my property, OFFENSIVE, so NOW where does that leave us all, As surely I have the very same rights as everyone else". He never said a word, except shake with temper. But anyway, reasonably behavior is the question here. I could be offended at Google earth having a picture of my home, shared with the entire world, if this P.C. thing is reasonable, maybe I will sue them for millions. And, I am more than sure that won't fly will it. I could even say, the guy who complained about me flying over his garden, CRAP, "offended me", so we see yet again, where does that leave us. The fact is I never flew over the middle of his garden, never was stationary, hovering, SO he lied, that's offensive to ME, and of course, as they are NO illegal to fly here, what right did HE have to TELL me "I do not want to see that drone again in the sky over this village, if I am in my garden" So now he is a self appointed KING of the village enacting his won laws, YEA RIGHT! That's my 2 cents worth on it. I feel it has a good solid logical foundation to.

As you say, (imagine,) that's the operative word here, I can imagine all types of things, but Hay there you go. As you also mentioned, that wonderful word ( PERCEPTION), So let me ask you something; do we all have to bend the knee and comply with ridiculousness twisted minds NO MATTER HOW MAD IT IS? . I had something similar about 20 years ago when working for the USAF at a base. I left a custom car mag on the corner of my desk cover facing upward. As normal flash car front cover, with bikini clad 20 year old draped over the bonnet. It was taken away, as someone, who was never identified, thought it was offensive. And the Master Sargent said to me, just as you outlined, it does not matter, if they feel offended. I replied; " P.C. B.S. And I can prove this I said, "Hoo yea how" he replied. I said to him, "well if we except you'r logic as is, I find you'r complaint and removal of my property, OFFENSIVE, so NOW where does that leave us all, As surely I have the very same rights as everyone else". He never said a word, except shake with temper. But anyway, reasonably behavior is the question here. I could be offended at Google earth having a picture of my home, shared with the entire world, if this P.C. thing is reasonable, maybe I will sue them for millions. And, I am more than sure that won't fly will it. I could even say, the guy who complained about me flying over his garden, CRAP, "offended me", so we see yet again, where does that leave us. The fact is I never flew over the middle of his garden, never was stationary, hovering, SO he lied, that's offensive to ME, and of course, as they are NO illegal to fly here, what right did HE have to TELL me "I do not want to see that drone again in the sky over this village, if I am in my garden" So now he is a self appointed KING of the village enacting his won laws, YEA RIGHT! That's my 2 cents worth on it. I feel it has a good solid logical foundation to.

All I can say is this... Pick your battles... if it's worthy of your time and efforts then address it and fight for your rights to fly over his/her/their property. Just keep in mind that if this is your neighborhood sometimes it's best to turn the other cheek and keep the peace in the HOOD. You and ONLY you can make that call and only you have to live with it either way. The rest of us are just arm-chair quarterbacks trying to give good/ethical advice. The rest is up to you.

If that were my two story house and someone few that low and close, I would also be annoyed. Probably angry if it happened often. Of course, I'm in the "get off my lawn" age group so maybe I'm not the best judge.

What you have been annoyed about ? Cos I could see into you'r garden?. To be fair to you, you may not see it or know, but the house next door to him SEES right over his garden, so what's he gonna say, Hay moron BRICK THAT WINDOW UP ! If walk past your house and turn my head to give it a passing glance, do I need permission now? What on earth is the matter with people today> Invasion of privacy; being reasonable, and all adult like, is; is to hover outside you'r bathroom window when someone is the shower, eye balling your wife as she sunbaths topless in the garden, by hovering about, looking through you'r windows, stalking over and over again. These types of conduct is intimidating, wrong, and over stepping the mark, and who ever does them should be visited by the police. But the kind of flight as shown, shows NOTHING of that sort, it's modern life, like google earth, city CCTV , selling your medical records to some company for $ what happens then, do they get a free pass on this one, But Joe bananas nobody here, get the wrap; is that how it work?

What you have been annoyed about ? Cos I could see into you'r garden?. To be fair to you, you may not see it or know, but the house next door to him SEES right over his garden, so what's he gonna say, Hay moron BRICK THAT WINDOW UP ! If walk past your house and turn my head to give it a passing glance, do I need permission now? What on earth is the matter with people today> Invasion of privacy; being reasonable, and all adult like, is; is to hover outside you'r bathroom window when someone is the shower, eye balling your wife as she sunbaths topless in the garden, by hovering about, looking through you'r windows, stalking over and over again. These types of conduct is intimidating, wrong, and over stepping the mark, and who ever does them should be visited by the police. But the kind of flight as shown, shows NOTHING of that sort, it's modern life, like google earth, city CCTV , selling your medical records to some company for $ what happens then, do they get a free pass on this one, But Joe bananas nobody here, get the wrap; is that how it work?
Clearly you don't actually care to hear people's opinions. I regret now replying to your question. Good luck and best wishes to you sir.

..... I could be offended at Google earth having a picture of my home, shared with the entire world, if this P.C. thing is reasonable, maybe I will sue them for millions. And, I am more than sure that won't fly will it....

You can have your home "blurred" from Google Earth is you are so inclined. It's a fairly simple process which only takes a moment to request and a few days to process. Not exactly the same as a potential "Peeping Tom" flying over your home/land.

But fact of the matter is this is a local problem not an FAA problem so you could take it up with the local authorities to determine if any rules/laws have been broken or not. It might be worth while to find out for future reference.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
All I can say is this... Pick your battles... if it's worthy of your time and efforts then address it and fight for your rights to fly over his/her/their property. Just keep in mind that if this is your neighborhood sometimes it's best to turn the other cheek and keep the peace in the HOOD. You and ONLY you can make that call and only you have to live with it either way. The rest of us are just arm-chair quarterbacks trying to give good/ethical advice. The rest is up to you.
Yep, I can see that as an option, to comply, the problem we have, is in that situation you are kind of running scared, To ( complying) It's kind of like buy yourself a top end Harley bike, pride and joy. But the rest of the street don't like it, think your a (Moderator Removed) Hell's angle, with drug fueled (Moderator Removed) parties on the way, and that way over the top loud noise, as you ride up the street. So we don't want it here! WHAT YOU GONNA DO SELL IT, or MOVE? Or say up your's it's a free country man?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rustybucket
Clearly you don't actually care to hear people's opinions. I regret now replying to your question. Good luck and best wishes to you sir.
Hoo that's wrong I care very much, don't mean to say I agree though, or have to. I am interested in perspectives, which you gave fair enough, respect, but I was hoping those who see things such as you'r way, would be reasonable, and listen to an alternative perspective on such things and factor that into their decision making process, how wrong I seem to be on that one!. Has the art of discussion and debate GONE? I am lead to believe this maybe the case. But as you say, we are free to act as we like, as long as people are not offended. Maybe I should buy a crystal ball, sounds like I am gonna need one.

Reactions: rustybucket
I am of the view that expectation of privacy is important .....

If a person feels privacy is violated whether legally or morally ... and that person will not discuss - then its Sorry - I will try not do it again.
Basically there is no discussion because other party who feels offended will not have it.

I refuse to answer the Poll as its too black / white and does not convey the spirit of what happens.

As to asking question - then providing own answers that basically fly in face of others reply's ??

Nigel

Every time an airplane fly's over your house is an invasion of privacy too?

The average Aircraft flying over your house is up high, unless you are on approach path of airfield and without camera .....

Not really a good comparison ... a drone at xx mtrs high vs an aircraft at xxxxx mtrs high ...

Nigel

Why do people become so defensive, it seems to me, that it's becoming an ever increasing irrationality today! I am not trying to pick fights here, I was only trying to understand, in detail other perspectives, taking apart an examining the REASONS behind their objectionable views. Taking such perspectives to their conclusions to see what substance in any they have, or are they just irrationally lashing out in an intolerant unreasonable way. You know, a kind of ADULT philosophical discussion here, not school playground stuff. It smacks of, "COS IT IS" why? where does this view come from, type thing. Obviously to me, some people become defense when pressed on the reasons, as they may know they it has no depth or substance to it. It's like, I have a view, but why do I/you have this view, is it rational, is it based a reasonable fears. Some people are terrified to fly, OK, no problem, the question some people find of interest is WHY? Where has it come from, is their fear based on reason. Is it more dangerous than driving a car, it's a kind of exploration. That is what it was about, not to get peoples views and just pointlessly dismiss it out out of hand or pick a fight.
This kind of P.C stuff is scary, as where does it end up. Example; "I don't like the way you looked at me". " I feel threatened and my life could be in danger". Call the police have them arrested. His cloths offend me, and so on, examples of the point here. I am looking into exploring WHY, HOW, WHAT, and reasons. Police and many others when pushed to justify such views often retreat to WHAT IF, Come on people give us a break, School playground again. We all know that game can be played all day long, where does it end; That's as bad as thought crime. Hay your wife is attractive. QUICK Call the police he wants to rape her, YOU get the point, It's social insanity, the path to disintegration. Sorry for my COLORFUL WORDS, but that's who I am, and don't forget I could be offended having been told that. HAHAH LOL

WOW !! I'm Gobsmacked !

Taking your latest line ... if you had put your PoV along with your Poll - I think reaction / replies would have been different.
The character of the opening post / poll indicated questioning to gain info to make your decision ...

After a few posts - it transpires that you already made your mind up that the person complaining was an ***** and that you have right to fly as you want - that privacy cannot be assumed.

Given the later form of posts - it seems you are the only one upset because no-ones kow-towed to your PoV. No-one is basically arguing with you - its you arguing with everyone else.

Personally I see no anti-theme or anything to get all uptight about ... people express their opinion based on the structure of the question / poll you posted.

Nigel

Reactions: RodPad
So, about 2 years ago, I had a guest staying at my place. My house sits about in the middle of 21 acres in a rural setting. This guest had a P3P, got some nice pics of my property. Seems one day he flew close to a neighbor house on adjoining property. That house sits about 30 ft off the common property line even though also on 20 acres. The house was occupied by a short term vacationer. Did my guest fly over the property or just near my line? Don’t know, I didn’t observe. At the time I did not have a drone yet.
Early evening I was unexpectedly visited by the local cops at my gate ( about 300 ft away) who explained they received a complaint about drone fly over photoing them. I explained I didn’t have a drone but a guest who did and offered to get him. They declined and asked that I convey not to do again and left and I walked back to house. Guest said he didn’t overfly the property. Like I said, I didn’t know.
But at this point I was pretty ticked off. Here this guy could take the time to lodge a complaint but not extend the courtesy of getting the facts or even talking to me as a person. Im the one listed in the official complaint, not my unknown guest. I’m going to guess this jerk probably also saw the guest/pilot as he usually flew from same area and we don’t even look alike.
I wrote my upset in an email to both the nonresident property owner and the rental agent, both whom I know and they know me. To me, this jerk far more violated me by siccing the cops on me than even if my guest had inadvertently flown over the line. There was nothing even remotely interesting to photograph as we are talking a middle aged couple alone on a rather non descript parcel that would have been no more interesting shot up close than from the altitude shots from over my property.
While I don’t have the facts for the posted situation, I do agree many have become a bunch of whiners and complainers who think their selfishness trumps all others.

A persons view on privacy can vary so much from person to person - we cannot presume to know what to expect if we overfly or they consider we overfly / eavesdrop on them.

You can live on an estate and one family one side of you have no problem chatting over fence - you seeing their daily life. Family on other side objects and wants to build maximum height wall to try prevent your looking in.

You have now introduced a 'flying eye' that basically flies high and can look down on all.

Nigel

Reactions: sshephard
WOW !! I'm Gobsmacked !

Taking your latest line ... if you had put your PoV along with your Poll - I think reaction / replies would have been different.
The character of the opening post / poll indicated questioning to gain info to make your decision ...

After a few posts - it transpires that you already made your mind up that the person complaining was an ***** and that you have right to fly as you want - that privacy cannot be assumed.

Given the later form of posts - it seems you are the only one upset because no-ones kow-towed to your PoV. No-one is basically arguing with you - its you arguing with everyone else.

Personally I see no anti-theme or anything to get all uptight about ... people express their opinion based on the structure of the question / poll you posted.

Nigel
Life is no so ridged, it has a habit of morphing or travelling in different directions not originally intended, It was some of the comments which opened a line up for further exploration and inquiry, with my colorful words!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94