Is it worth taking my Drone to Las Vegas?

Reaction score
I'm planning on going to Las Vegas at the end of the month. I was wondering if it was even worth it. I understand about the strip and the hoover **** but outside of that are there any places that I can fly and get great shots that's even worth it? I just don't want any drama but I would love to get some shots. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I'm planning on going to Las Vegas at the end of the month. I was wondering if it was even worth it. I understand about the strip and the hoover **** but outside of that are there any places that I can fly and get great shots that's even worth it? I just don't want any drama but I would love to get some shots. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
I wouldn't risk flying on the strip even though I saw a kid and even talked to him right after he was done flying right out in front of the Bellagio. He was good but he was crazy imo. Just too many cars and people to risk it. Hoover Dam is off limits. Red Rock Canyon is National Park. Now if you were headed North some you can get some good flying in spots that are right up against National Parks like Zion and Moab. You have to do your research to make sure that you are not in the park itself. But lots of cool stuff to fly along the edges of some of these parks in Southern Utah. But if your not getting out of Vegas very far I would prob leave it home. LOL

thanks for the info. I really don't have the time to venture out to far. I was hoping like an hour away from the strip but If I can find anything I'm just gonna leave it. The strip I would never. To many things can go south quick and I am not risking injury to anyone. With that being said I guess I have 3 weeks to figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks again.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
There are plenty of world class golf courses around the strip. while I agree I wouldn't be comfortable flying around all the tourists and hookers I don't think I'd have any problem filming a golf course with all the lights in the backdrop.

Reactions: kobrien
Open up AirMap. Take a look. There are 4 airports that really restrict your flying ability and the strip is off limits for a 1000 reasons mostly because it's less than a mile from mccarren airport. The strip itself has 1000's of people. Even all the golf areas are within LAS airspace.

Red rock is not off limits I found out. It's not a national park. It's a national conversation area. Drones are allowed in most of it. Just don't be THAT guy who disrupts people's enjoyment of a relatively quiet experience.

Also temps outdoors are gonna be in mid teens again so your flight time might be cut short. Especially if you're using an iPad or tablet.

Lake mead is technically off limits as well

Open up AirMap. Take a look. There are 4 airports that really restrict your flying ability and the strip is off limits for a 1000 reasons mostly because it's less than a mile from mccarren airport. The strip itself has 1000's of people. Even all the golf areas are within LAS airspace.

Red rock is not off limits I found out. It's not a national park. It's a national conversation area. Drones are allowed in most of it. Just don't be THAT guy who disrupts people's enjoyment of a relatively quiet experience.

Also temps outdoors are gonna be in mid teens again so your flight time might be cut short. Especially if you're using an iPad or tablet.

Lake mead is technically off limits as well
you know your right I didn't even think about that. its going to be hot and the sun and the glare. even though I would go at sunrise. then again its vegas so sunrise may not happen. Thanks

Several places that are on my list to fly near Las Vegas are the following:
  • Valley of Fires State Park. There are some terrific sand stone formations. Here is the the URL: Valley of Fire State Park | State Parks
  • Cathedral Gorge. White and red erroded volcanic formations. Here is the URL: Cathedral Gorge State Park, NV DesertUSA
  • Mount Charleston
  • Spring Mountains. Park your car and walk back into one of the box canyons. Should make for some interesting aerial photography.
Writing about this makes me exciting about going to Vegas to get some drone shots, play golf, and of course my favorite past time of all--blackjack.

Don Barar

Valley of fire. Off limits. Sign at front (all Nevada state parks).

Cathedral gorge. Same as VOF.

Hi Ravedog,

My apologies to the community. I have yet to visit Nevada since I became a drone pilot in January and was unaware that Nevada State Parks were NFZ. Thank you for the information.

Don

No apologies needed. Nevada has a ton of restricted areas. Anything north of Vegas up thru the center is mostly the test site (military). But don't let that discourage you. There are pockets of great flyable space everywhere. And interesting things to look at.

Check this out: Cottonwood Cove just below Searchlight on Lake Mohave. Unfortunately Youtube mangles up the quality of the video, but may still be worth watching:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: ravedog
Christ I hate being the bearer of bad news but the Colorado river is also off limits.

47b1a9bb6d7e2913002773fba7a73c3d.jpg

Check out the "Seven Magic Mountains"
Pretty cool to film.
Me and my girl fly there all the time.

Reactions: NY4PD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers