Is it safe to fly in GPS mode? K-Index monitor Android app

Re: Is it safe to fly in GPS mode? K-Index monitor Android a

xgeek said:
I use the Magnetic Storms app on the iPhone. It's free and does the job.

I do not find this currently listed in The App Store.

Ok I have now observed this after using it for a few days - between about 1am and 4am bst (gmt+1hr) every night It changes to the exclamation mark. It comes back around 4am and works fine all day until next night when it does the same.

Its not my internet connection, I am on internet all night on my pc and my phone is still connected and using the internet fine.

Very odd... does the NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center have a break in their updates at that time? Does your app? I will continue to monitor, at this time I have the exclamation mark (2.14am) Will try and pin down exactly when it returns (will manually update every 15mins).

While I have the exclamation mark present, if I click on it in the taskbar it always says "K index updated" but the exclamation mark remains. During the day it works as expected - i check on the website and it's always correct.

I see it's only been downloaded 50-100 times, anyone else reporting this problem? In UK its the middle of the night so I wouldn't expect many people to notice here.

Thanks.

Could be a bug in the code. I'm going to have a closer look at this too.

Thank you for the info.

Thanks. Typically I fell asleep last night lol. Woke at 5am, it was back. Will monitor again tonight.

Dissapeared at about 1.00am bst (12.00am gmt) , came back at 4.20am bst (3.20am gmt). Does this every night without fail. I updated manually every 15 mins or so - tried at 4.10am, no dice, tried at 4.20am and it was back.

Thank you for the info.
It must be something with rotating the report to the next day.
I'm going to have a closer look at this.

found the problem and it's not mine (-:

For what I can see is that between the troubled times NOAA is not giving the Planetary data!

Basically the app is getting the data from; http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/lists/geomag/AK.txt

If you look at the 2nd part you will see the Planetary(estimated Ap).
The 1st number after this is the A index (average of the day).
The rest of the numbers are the 3 hourly K Indices. -1 meaning missing data.
Between AM1:00 and AM4:20 ALL K Indices are showing -1 (missing data), causing my app to show the yellow exclamation mark!

MrC... Not sure if it's hard for you to do, but can you please check the next time when you get the yellow exclamation mark and see what the
Planetary(estimated Ap) is showing at: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/lists/geomag/AK.txt
You do not need to do this the complete time span. Just once or twice will be fine (-:

I've got some other data feeds that I could use, but before doing so I need so check if they have the same bug.

Will report back when I have more info.

Ah ok, makes sense. I will have a look at the AK.txt tonight when I get the exclamation mark again.

Personally it doesn't actually affect me as its the middle of the night but obviously may affect someone in a different time zone.

Thanks for looking into it, I will report back later.

Looking at it, I don't think this is the problem. If i look at it right now it shows yesterdays readings (apr 17th) and they are all there, no -1's on the "Planetary(estimated Ap)" line. They use utc time, same as gmt. For 0-3am it has a reading of 3, changing up and down for rest of the day. There are some -1's on the other lines but planetary has all the readings.

Its nearly 1am gmt right now and its gone again. The whole chart for today so far has -1's but I wouldn't expect that to change until 3am when the first 3hour update comes in.

It seems like it's the LAST update of the day that has a problem ie 21-24 which should update at 24 (midnight), that update never registers on your app and I get the exclamation mark even though it shows correctly on the AK.txt page. It works again at the following update 00-03 which happens at 3am.

The reading in your app that I should be getting right now (1am gmt, 18th) should be the last update of the 17th (21-24) which the AK.text page shows as being 1.

So maybe your first thought about the change of day has something to do with it after all.
Good luck with getting to the bottom of it :)

Attached is what I see right now on AK.txt page.

Sorry if I have made it sound confusing but basically I think the AK.txt page updates correctly and when it should. Its just your app doesn't pickup the last reading of the day 21-24 which gets updated on the AK.txt page at 24 (midnight). It updates in arrears if you like, 11-24 updating at 24, 00-03 updating at 3am etc.

I think the apps first update of the day (midnight) needs to refer to the previous days 21-24 and not look at the present days info if you get me.

Attachments

• kindex.jpg
    kindex.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 381

Thank you for the detailed report.

I see now what is causing it and will try to get it fixed today or tomorrow.

I've got two ways of fixing it.
1) make sure that is querying the correct value for that time span. ( now it's only looking in the last day values)
2) find a better "one day" feed only.

I think that I'm going for option 1.

Will report back when it's fixed.

Once again thank you for your help.

Problems solved and all should work fine now!

Will check tonight and let you know. Thanks for looking into it.

Looking good so far. No exclamation mark tonight and reading as it should. :D

Will check a few times for rest of day to make sure correct values coming through.

Thanks for sticking with it and sorting it. ooh k-index of 4 reached..

One other thing.., I noticed on their alerts page - "WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G1 Predicted", "Spacecraft - Minor impact on satellite operations possible."

This is the first non k-index alert i've seen that mentions satellites, would this have similar effect to a high k-index? A K-index of 5 is required before they mention satellites being affected.

MrC said:
Looking good so far. No exclamation mark tonight and reading as it should. :D

I concur, no exclamation mark tonight as in previous nights at this time. I've been watching this thread and the app while you worked that out, I saw the same thing MrC had originally, and it seems to be all better now. Thanks again Noel!

MrC thank you for helping me finding this bug, and both of you (MrC and OI Photography) thank you for confirming that it's fixed.

re: One other thing.., I noticed on their alerts page - "WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G1 Predicted", "Spacecraft - Minor impact on satellite operations possible."

This is the first non k-index alert i've seen that mentions satellites, would this have similar effect to a high k-index? A K-index of 5 is required before they mention satellites being affected.

I think that this is as mentioned in the alert (WATCH) it's a prediction only!
After this if the prediction is correct a high K index will follow, and if not the alert (WATCH) will be canceled.

However as I'm not sure, I will try to find out more about this.

You're welcome. Thanks for the app. Only one little gripe now lol, a way to turn it off without a force stop. I don't need it running on days when I'm not flying.

I''ll see what I can do, but for now the only way to stop it is by doing a force stop.

Slide down > long press on "K-index" > App info > Force stop.

MrC said:
OI Photography said:

Indeed! Down to 4 again but today not the best day to fly.

I guess it's the perfect excuse to spend some more time in ATTI mode. I'll be damned if I'm not going to fly at least some today in this gorgeous weather we're having.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj