Is it safe to fly in GPS mode? K-Index monitor Android app

Re: Is it safe to fly in GPS mode? K-Index monitor Android a

Does it take into account the user location?

No. It's a planetary warning.

The Estimated 3-hour Planetary Kp-index is derived at the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center using data from the following ground-based magnetometers: Sitka, Alaska; Meanook, Canada; Ottawa, Canada; Fredericksburg, Virginia; Hartland, UK; Wingst, Germany; Niemegk, Germany; and Canberra, Australia.
These data are made available thanks to the cooperative efforts between SWPC and data providers around the world, which currently includes the U.S. Geological Survey, Natural Resources Canada (NRCAN), the British Geological Survey, the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), and Geoscience Australia. Important magnetometer observations are also contributed by the Institute de Physique du Globe de Paris and the Korean Space Weather Center.

Noël said:
No. It's a planetary warning.

Aren't the primary effects limited to the sunlit side of the Earth?

Finally got around to downloading it, works great on my phone (HTC Droid DNA), will test on my tablet in a bit.

Thanks Noel!

re: Aren't the primary effects limited to the sunlit side of the Earth?
Not really. What I've been told is that you might be on the shadow site of the Earth, but some of the GPS satellites used might not.

usefull app... i'd like a widget version

Cool app and good work. Is this more precautionary or has is there any evidence that these fluctuations actually effect flights? How does commercial aviation deal with this issue.

Fascinated mind wants to know. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

iResq said:
Cool app and good work. Is this more precautionary or has is there any evidence that these fluctuations actually effect flights? How does commercial aviation deal with this issue.

Fascinated mind wants to know. Thanks

Here is a video from NOAA about commercial use and Space Weather affects on GPS.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epk93ATx5v4[/youtube]

All K-index users know already, but for the pilots who are not using it, be aware that the K-index is 5 at the moment and that it is not advisable to fly in GPS mode only.

Hi, I installed this on my nexus 4 running android 4.4.2. All i get is the exclamation mark in the taskbar (no internet connection) it never gives me a number. Internet connection is fine, tried with mobile data too and same result. Is there a problem with this app and the nexus 4 or android 4.4.2? Would very much like to use it. I tried leaving for over an hour in case it needed to update but no change.

Also, does it just run all the time? I found no way of stopping it bar a force stop which I did before uninstalling and reinstalling.
Removed and reinstalled but still no joy. Can you help?
Thanks.

Thanks but im on 4.4.2. We google phone users get the latest updates before others but its been out for a few months now.

*edit* finally after about 4 hours im getting a number (4). Why did it take so long?

I noticed after I installed it the other day on my Note3 that it took a while for an actual number to show up. Last night it was vibrating like hell all night long! Got to be a bit annoying after a while.

Weird. Seems to be working fine now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik