Is it illegal to fly a quad??

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe they meant you can't fly over ancient civilizations...

Attachments

• athens2.jpg
    athens2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 348
Read, and learn; http://dronelawjournal.com/
If you don't know the Law-don't propagate Internet Myth..you don't do anyone any favors by posting something from an Advisory Circular, and stating it's "The Law".

To answer the OP question; no, you are not violating any laws. Go out wherever you want, and fly your quad, and have fun. A little common sense goes a long way.

IF, people were pulling off the highway or stopping.....cool. But, you may want to re-think where you fly, or, fly during daylight hours.
You're not breaking any laws, because None exist right now.

spanktimonious said:
thongbong said:
Seriously? Don't fly over populated areas. I don't need to read any FAA to tell you that's in there some form or phrase or paraphrase.

Nowhere in the advisory does the FAA advise folks to not fly "over civilization." I took your advice and read the circular again. I would suggest that you do the same. "civilization" does not equal "populated areas."

thongbong said:
You think the FAA would put out those suggestions and neglect the most important.

Since you think that flying over populated areas shouldn't be done ("If you don't want a complete ban of RC aerial craft, best follow their "suggestions"), please explain your hypocrisy here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fh6ITQAOL4

Good Geebuz! You asked a question I answered it. Did I tell you not to fly in "civilization?"! Did I tell you I dont do that? If you don't want an answer, next time don't ask it!!! No one said it was "law", everyone said suggestion... holy cow man, did you look up where I lived too? total troll.

YOU asked where are people getting this stuff, and its not like we made it up. Everyone is trying to tell you WHERE WE GOT IT FROM!

Here's what you asked if you've forgotten already.

spanktimonious said:
maverick69 said:
As far as I know the only restrictions are:
You can't fly commercially. Yet. Right now you legally can't sell any footage.
There is some disagreement if the regulations are 3 or 5 miles from an airport.
No higher than 400 ft
No flying over any civilization.
Those are the only regs in the US.

No. Where do people get this stuff?

Of course no one can take you seriously because you're a clown.

As opposed to a guy with the Nickname Thongbong? We should take you more seriously? Why post?
I posted a link to some good information....and, answered the OP's question.
Everyone has an Opinion.....few should share it ;)

havasuphoto said:
As opposed to a guy with the Nickname Thongbong? We should take you more seriously? Why post?

Never said you were wrong, I think you're right, but seriously, spanktimonious got offended somehow and started attacking poeople when I was just trying to answer his question. He asked, I answered. Somewhere along the lines he concluded I was a hypocrite because I was telling him what the FAA was saying or suggesting.

thongbong said:
havasuphoto said:

Never said you were wrong, I think you're right, but seriously, spanktimonious got offended somehow and started attacking poeople when I was just trying to answer his question. He asked, I answered. Somewhere along the lines he concluded I was a hypocrite because I was telling him what the FAA was saying or suggesting.
I got that part.....
Time out everyone?? Group hug?
This is a place to educate, and be educated. Not a place to insult, or be insulted. We're Adults-how bout we start acting like it? Just a thought?

havasuphoto said:
thongbong said:
havasuphoto said:

I got that part.....
Time out everyone?? Group hug?
This is a place to educate, and be educated. Not a place to insult, or be insulted. We're Adults-how bout we start acting like it? Just a thought?

:D oh man, feel like I'm back in junior high! :lol: well on a lighter note, check out a video I posted a few weeks ago of me flying over civilization. But I hope the FAA doesnt see this because they'll see I went against their "suggestions"

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8182

spanktimonious said:
thongbong said:
Good Geebuz! You asked a question I answered it. Did I tell you not to fly in "civilization?"! Did I tell you I dont do that? If you don't want an answer, next time don't ask it!!! No one said it was "law", everyone said suggestion... holy cow man, did you look up where I lived too? total troll.

Don't flatter yourself.

Your "tropical beaches" video was active today. The same "tropical beaches" video wherein you fly over populated areas (that you suggest other folks not do). The same "tropical beaches" video that is on Youtube along with the snowy video of you flying over a populated area.

Your hypocrisy was very funny so I asked you about it.

So, are you in favor of a "complete ban on RC aerial craft" because you don't follow the FAA's suggestions or do you just like to tell other folks how to use their Phantoms while you continue to disregard the FAA suggestions (and we all know what that will lead to - a complete ban according to you)?

I was telling you what the FAA suggested. I'm sure I made that clear when I put "suggestion" in quotations. End of story.

:lol: That wasn't "advice" from me, that was advice from FAA--like you asked. You have a bad sense of humor. Why are you pissed?

spanktimonious said:
thongbong said:
:lol: That wasn't "advice" from me, that was advice from FAA--like you asked. You have a bad sense of humor. Why are you pissed?

You're confusing laughing at you with being pissed. Please continue.

okay.......

It's actually a joint recommendation (400' max, line-of-sight flying only and not flying over populated areas) from the FAA and the AMA.

It doesn't like anything to get too excited about. Let's move on (not an order, just a recommendation). Lol!

OK, Spanky, check this out. This was last month in Ontario, California.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

I suppose it still won't be good enough for you, but for the rest of us I think it makes it pretty clear that the FAA and the AMA have been working together regarding our mutual interests.

I see now why the FAA won't meet the 2015 deadline. :(

In the mean time, when I fly, I try to just use some common sense and courtesy. I'm not sure flying next to a highway at night qualifies, so that's one I will personally steer clear of. The more responsible we are at our hobby, the less likely it will be that they just ban it altogether figuring we're all morons. I'm not implying that flying next to a highway is moronic either. My suggestion is just to try to be good examples for the hobby.

The more ways people find to abuse something, the more strict the laws will be.

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
I see now why the FAA won't meet the 2015 deadline. :(

In the mean time, when I fly, I try to just use some common sense and courtesy. I'm not sure flying next to a highway at night qualifies, so that's one I will personally steer clear of. The more responsible we are at our hobby, the less likely it will be that they just ban it altogether figuring we're all morons. I'm not implying that flying next to a highway is moronic either. My suggestion is just to try to be good examples for the hobby.

The more ways people find to abuse something, the more strict the laws will be.

Mike

Nicely put.

Time to stop clowning around! :lol:

If you want an example of morons ruining a good thing just look at gun laws. I hope I don't have to put up with similar issues with my rc hobby as I have to with my gun hobby. New York turned me into a gun criminal with the stroke of the governors pen in a late night private meeting. I'm hoping not to become an RC outlaw too. :shock:

Reactions: joe21
spanktimonious said:
Ots said:
OK, Spanky, check this out. This was last month in Ontario, California.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

I suppose it still won't be good enough for you, but for the rest of us I think it makes it pretty clear that the FAA and the AMA have been working together regarding our mutual interests.

You're correct, it doesn't support the myths that you posted.

*sigh* Whatever, dude.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
LeoS said:
Well one thing is for sure, it's a potent distraction for drivers at night for sure. I'd imagine it has the potential to trigger an accident if the road condition is unfavourable (lots of turns, bad lighting, two ways traffic, etc); so this would be something that the traffic authority would want to protect the people from..
if i live near a highway and put a bunch of christmas lights on my house and some guy pulls over because he wants to see them and causes an accident is that my fault? NO
we have too many laws in this country protecting idiots

how can i LIKE this post ??? :)

K+

thongbong said:
spanktimonious said:
thongbong said:
Seriously? Don't fly over populated areas. I don't need to read any FAA to tell you that's in there some form or phrase or paraphrase.

Nowhere in the advisory does the FAA advise folks to not fly "over civilization." I took your advice and read the circular again. I would suggest that you do the same. "civilization" does not equal "populated areas."

thongbong said:
You think the FAA would put out those suggestions and neglect the most important.

Since you think that flying over populated areas shouldn't be done ("If you don't want a complete ban of RC aerial craft, best follow their "suggestions"), please explain your hypocrisy here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fh6ITQAOL4

YOU asked where are people getting this stuff, and its not like we made it up. Everyone is trying to tell you WHERE WE GOT IT FROM!

Here's what you asked if you've forgotten already.

spanktimonious said:
maverick69 said:
As far as I know the only restrictions are:
You can't fly commercially. Yet. Right now you legally can't sell any footage.
There is some disagreement if the regulations are 3 or 5 miles from an airport.
No higher than 400 ft
No flying over any civilization.
Those are the only regs in the US.

No. Where do people get this stuff?

Of course no one can take you seriously because you're a clown.

Sorry man, only troll and clown in here is you ... S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj