Is a crashed P4 worth repairing?

Reaction score
I bought a crashed Phantom 4. It has a problem with the gimbal yaw motor, I think. The upper and lower shell also have pretty bad damage, but it still flies.
I don't have much for electronics repair skills, but I'm pretty good at figuring things out with YouTube videos.
I have ordered the gimbal yaw motor, and will try to repair it, but I'm wondering if it's worth also ordering a shell, or try to sell it cheaply to buy a mint Mavic Pro Platinum.

I bought a crashed Phantom 4. It has a problem with the gimbal yaw motor, I think. The upper and lower shell also have pretty bad damage, but it still flies.
I don't have much for electronics repair skills, but I'm pretty good at figuring things out with YouTube videos.
I have ordered the gimbal yaw motor, and will try to repair it, but I'm wondering if it's worth also ordering a shell, or try to sell it cheaply to buy a mint Mavic Pro Platinum.
I just recently replaced a lower shell on my P4P v2 and it was a pretty easy job. I took pictures of all the parts/wiring beforehand and labeled all the screws as I removed them to make it easier for reassembly.

Reactions: OdysseyShane
My advice is, send everything except batteries, drone, RC, spare parts, to the DJI repair shop. You can ship it there for free, and they will give you a free estimate to repair it with pictures. The estimate price, in my experience is very fair, pay it. Then, what they actually do is send you a new aircraft and a new RC. I just received a new P4PV2 and RC for $145 worth of repairs, in one week. The DJI repair shop has GREAT Service!

My advice is, send everything except batteries, drone, RC, spare parts, to the DJI repair shop. You can ship it there for free, and they will give you a free estimate to repair it with pictures. The estimate price, in my experience is very fair, pay it. Then, what they actually do is send you a new aircraft and a new RC. I just received a new P4PV2 and RC for $145 worth of repairs, in one week. The DJI repair shop has GREAT Service!
I would not assume DJI has a stack of P4’s sitting on a shelf ready for shipping. That one hasn’t been in production for some time.
More likely the recipient would receive a refurbished aircraft.
In that instance, a toss up.

When you’re ready, I have the mint platinum available.

Reactions: Capt KO
Not a lot of luck with that yet.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 144
I think if it were me i would repair the gimbal and use the drone as is as long as there are no other issues. Replacing the top shell can be a challenge for some. It requires a soldering station and not just a soldering iron. Motor leads can't be spliced and must be un soldered from the esc boards and then re soldered. Here is a video on how to replace the yaw motor
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd be interested in buying your damaged p4.
I'm not sure that we'd be able to get it shipped to you for a price that would be beneficial to both of us.
Also, I'm pretty sure that I might try to repair it, but if I change my mind, I will think of you.

I think if it were me i would repair the gimbal and use the drone as is as long as there are no other issues. Replacing the top shell can be a challenge for some. It requires a soldering station and not just a soldering iron. Motor leads can't be spliced and must be un soldered from the esc boards and then re soldered. Here is a video on how to replace the yaw motor
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have a yaw motor on the way, so it's worth a try. I will keep you posted.

I repaired my crashed (non-DJI) drone several years ago and found it to be a fun, educational experience. Take it slow, take photos and stay organized. Take notes, if necessary. YouTube videos are a great help to familiarize you with what to expect. I'd replace the shell while you're performing the surgery. Having repaired a drone that looks as good as it flies is a great source of pride...especially for first-time repair experience.

That's good advice for some folks but, for me, one of the really fun accomplishments in my senior years was fixing a crashed drone myself and seeing that formerly dead bird take to the skies again. YouTube vids were a big help but it's not rocket science. You're not having to build motors from scratch or fabricate a new circuit board. But, if you're one of those folks who lacks the patience or ability to do the job, then box 'er up and ship 'er off to DJI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers