iRec / SHOU Now Available! (screen recording for iPhone and

Reaction score
I couldn't find it mentioned on this forum, so just wanted to let you iPhone / iPad users know that iRec is now available!

iRec is a free screen recording app for non-jailbroken iPhones and iPads that lets you capture the DJI Phantom App details while on a flight (or of course record anything else you want on an iDevice).

I've been monitoring its progress on the developers twitter account for the past month or so and it was just released a couple of days ago. I tested it yesterday evening and can confirm it works a treat!

It's not available on Apple's App Store, you have to visit http://www.emu4ios.net and install their app, then click the icon on the phone and install iRec.

One thing to note is you need to enable Assistive Touch so that the live video feed can be recorded, otherwise the video is just black (Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Assistive Touch -> Enable). It's the same for all games that use OpenGL too. The downside is that a small icon appears on top of the screen that you can't get rid of, but you can move it into a corner and it's not too bad (see bottom right in the pic below). Another thing is you need to change Video Orientation to Landscape if you wish so that it can record the DJI app in the correct orientation (Settings -> the scroll down till you find iRec)

As a result of this excellent app, I can now overlay the screen recording onto the main recorded video as seen in the example below.

I also plan to record each flight just in case something goes wrong - this I think is the best use for iRec! If flight is ok then the recordings are easy to delete.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.08.00.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.08.00.png
    720.8 KB · Views: 3,961
Re: iRec Now Available! (screen recording for iPhone and iPa

i can't get mine to work.
after recording it says "Merging… Please wait" and nothing append

I can record audio but the screen is black....??

gilmbento said:
i can't get mine to work.
after recording it says "Merging… Please wait" and nothing append

Mine also says merging but then soon stops. I've also had it crash back to the icons during the Merging phase, but the video was still ok.

The dev mentions it's still in beta so this should improve I hope. :)

GearLoose said:
I can record audio but the screen is black....??

Did you turn on Assistive Touch?

yea well since installing this my data activity has been going non stop i uninstalled it and hard rebooted the phone to get it to stop.

I just checked the Help section at Emu4ios and it says that screen recording is only supported in IOS 6.

"Screen Recorders ONLY work on iOS 6! iOS 7 is not supported!"

Worked on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.

I got that merging error too and a crash after recording, but when I reopened the app the video was saved.

Good find though! I wished tethering worked, lol.

Has anyone had success using iRec app on the iPad mini with retina (iOS 7.1.2)? I am able to record the screen and playback within app, but for some reason I cannot get it to save the video to my Camera Roll.
The app is working fine on my iPhone 5.

GearLoose said:
I just checked the Help section at Emu4ios and it says that screen recording is only supported in IOS 6.

"Screen Recorders ONLY work on iOS 6! iOS 7 is not supported!"

From their site - "Once you have the Emu4iOS Store Installed, you can install applications such as iRec Beta (iOS 7-8 Screen Recorder)"

BManCan said:
Has anyone had success using iRec app on the iPad mini with retina (iOS 7.1.2)? I am able to record the screen and playback within app, but for some reason I cannot get it to save the video to my Camera Roll.
The app is working fine on my iPhone 5.
I have the same issue. iPhone 5S works as it should, iPad Mini Retina will not save to camera roll.

Wow! This is exactly what I have been looking for!!! Just tested it on my iPhone 5S. Works great - with sound too. Exporting to camera roll worked fine too. Pretty amazing!!!

JeffB said:
Wow! This is exactly what I have been looking for!!! Just tested it on my iPhone 5S. Works great - with sound too. Exporting to camera roll worked fine too. Pretty amazing!!!
Is yours jailbroken? Mine is so I cannot comment, but I find it interesting that they are able to inject an app without going through the app store on a non-rooted iPhone.

LuvMyTJ said:
JeffB said:
Is yours jailbroken? Mine is so I cannot comment, but I find it interesting that they are able to inject an app without going through the app store on a non-rooted iPhone.
Mine isn't jailbroken and still works great as JeffB describes. I was annoyed last night though as I forgot to enable assistive touch before recording, so ended up with a black video feed. :(

I suspect they found an exploit because I saw on Twitter that the dev was happy it still worked on iOS 8. No doubt it'll be closed up in some future version of iOS 8.

Ok I can finally get it to work, I turned off assisitve touch and still work on iPad Air & mini. Just can't get it to save to camera roll.

sbjr0203 said:
Ok I can finally get it to work, I turned off assisitve touch and still work on iPad Air & mini. Just can't get it to save to camera roll.

Are you aware of the fact that after the recording it does not save the file to camera rol directly? On the bottom under recordings you select the file and then import it to your camera roll.

I got it to work on my iphone without problems and am very happy with it! Thanx!

Wally said:
sbjr0203 said:

Are you aware of the fact that after the recording it does not save the file to camera rol directly? On the bottom under recordings you select the file and then import it to your camera roll.

I got it to work on my iphone without problems and am very happy with it! Thanx!

Yea that I know, I can save to camera roll on iPhone 5S but not on iPad Air or Mini

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic