Ipads, Ipads and more Ipads, which one?

Reaction score
Hi All

Tired of trying to see my DJI Go on an iPhone and all my ipads are too old to work with the go app. So here is the question, what Ipad do I get?, I'd like a mini ipad, if I get one with just wifi, will I be missing the GPS functions in the GO app, will I see the map and where the drone is on the map?, or should I get one with Cellular and a data plan.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Mike h

I have a Ipad mini 4 wifi only. You can cache the map before you leave your home so you really don't need cellular. I got it at Best Buy on sale for $299. It has the A8 processer and 128 gigabytes of memory.

Tired of trying to see my DJI Go on an iPhone and all my ipads are too old to work with the go app. So here is the question, what Ipad do I get?
You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here.

I'd like a mini ipad, if I get one with just wifi, will I be missing the GPS functions in the GO app, will I see the map and where the drone is on the map?
Wi-Fi only Apple devices do not contain a GPS receiver. That means you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location (if you need to use either of those features). All other GPS related features (e.g. showing the location of your Phantom on the map) will still work since they use data from the GPS receiver inside of the Phantom.

Personally, I'd get the new iPad Pro A10x with cellular and a plan (And make sure the plan has service in your flying areas!). At least it might still work with GO 4 or GO 5 in a year if DJI doesn't get rid of some of the app bloat causing video lag issues. Larger screen is also nicer to use with other apps like Autopilot, etc. where you plan your route on them rather than trying to do so on a very tiny screen. Larger also dissipates a lot more heat that slows the processor down than the smaller ones do.

Fwiw, I may have to go to the Pro model too in the next year as my iPad Air 2+Cell is beginning to break up now with latest GO 4. Getting too old I guess.

I use an iPad Mini 2 with a Hoodman. It'd be nice to upgrade with the latest greatest iPad Mini... but a full sized iPad would be a bit much, I think. Too big and too heavy.

SB

Reactions: dirkclod
Every computer and nearly every tablet I own are Apples, (along with so many out dated iPods that I've lost count), so when I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab Elite it's not 'cause I'm an anti-fanboy.

Available at Walmart for just about $100., plus $20. or so for a 32 gb micro card, it runs DJI Go just fine. It has a 7" screen, so it needs an after market device clamp just like an iPad mini. Quad core processor, up to date Android, yada, yada..... Might want to check it out.

Today will be the first day using my 10.5" iPad Pro while flying. I want to do a quick test flight with it at home before I venture out. Went to slide the iPad into the cradle and found that it kind of doesn't fit. I say kind of because I always rest the bottom of the iPad in the cradle first then slide the top in. That doesn't work with this one. it looks like there is a little extra room in the to corner so I slid the top in first then really had to push the bottom in. It's not even sitting all the way back and is really compressing the foam. I might have to go back to using my iPad Air 2 for flights. I just connect it via bluetooth.

iPadPro.jpg

Today will be the first day using my 10.5" iPad Pro while flying. I want to do a quick test flight with it at home before I venture out. Went to slide the iPad into the cradle and found that it kind of doesn't fit. I say kind of because I always rest the bottom of the iPad in the cradle first then slide the top in. That doesn't work with this one. it looks like there is a little extra room in the to corner so I slid the top in first then really had to push the bottom in. It's not even sitting all the way back and is really compressing the foam. I might have to go back to using my iPad Air 2 for flights. I just connect it via bluetooth.

View attachment 85107

Here might be some easy fixes. No affiliation, just found this....

after market device clamp for Phantom

Reactions: MassGuy
I'm very happy with my iPad Pro it fits on the controller like a glove never crashed whilst flying and I can edit my videos on it as well i than play the videos via Apple TV to watch them on my big baby[emoji3]

Reactions: iflyp3s
I'm a happy user of the iPad Mini 3 WiFi + 4G . With 4G on board is has GPS. And after use of many Android tablets it is every penny worth.

On every location you have direct a map and for positioning you need the GPS function.

I know it can be confusing with all of the devices available on the market now, so don't take any offering at face value.

If your full focus is on power and performance most definitely go with an iPad Pro. Then your choice will be between the VERY NEW 10.5" model with a display with a higher refresh rate (smoother picture) and faster specs, otherwise last years models would do just as great.

If the Pros seem like an overkill, go with the updated regular/Air model. Has a great 9.7" screen, and a chip that can be found in the latest iPhone.

If budget is the central concern, the model mentioned above will work out to be almost the same amount as the best iPad mini.

Of course, when buying, ensure you have selected a 4G or "cellular" model, that way you'll have a live internet connection, along with YOUR GPS location. Also, you'll need a SIM Card with a data plan for a cellular model.

If you get a WiFi only model, it will be significantly cheaper, but you won't have a GPS pinpoint from your location, and only your Phantom's. Also, to have a map feed at all, you'll need to save it beforehand by opening the GO app when you do have a Wifi connection to cache it for offline use every time.

Regardless, make sure your device is fairly recent (for instance, an iPad mini 2 as suggested by others may not support future app updates).

Good luck with your purchase - hope this helps!

Reactions: Elizabeth H
I bought the Clover Extended Mount to be able to use my 10.5" iPad Pro. That's a little to big to fit in the bracket. The Clover works "okay". It gets the job done but the iPad isn't a perfect fit. It also doesn't fit as snug as I'd like unless I push the bracket down an extra click. I wish it had some padding where the iPad rests and didn't block the top portion of the display. I might find some soft, think material to take care of both of those problems.
bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

bracket4.jpg

Reactions: uke and Bckmstr
in for an upgrade myself and been looking at the pro models as well ..either the 10.5 or the 12.9 ...that 10.5 above looks like a nice set up

Don't want to beat a dead horse here re the FW update, etc., but if one gets an iPad mini for my P4 my guess is it will require the current DJI GO app which will have the new software and FW and require the whole FW dance. Does this mean that my iPhone 6L will no longer be interchangable with the ipad on the P4? Or will I have to update the iPhone also? Seems I would but just wanted to check?

I have a P3A, also tired of the iPhone, I picked up a used iPad mini 2 wifi. Works great, perfect size, I just use my iPhone as a hotspot and I get gps and maps on the iPad.

I bought the Clover Extended Mount to be able to use my 10.5" iPad Pro. That's a little to big to fit in the bracket. The Clover works "okay". It gets the job done but the iPad isn't a perfect fit. It also doesn't fit as snug as I'd like unless I push the bracket down an extra click. I wish it had some padding where the iPad rests and didn't block the top portion of the display. I might find some soft, think material to take care of both of those problems. View attachment 85279

I too have the 10.5” iPad Pro (256 GB), and it’s a great device for this purpose. I needed the same extender too, but at the top, I used super glue to affix two foam ear plugs under the flange. This causes the mount to snug down very nicely on the edge of the iPad, and it’s now padded top and bottom. I know what you mean about that extra click. It causes anxiety, and I’m always nervous that it will wear down that spline over time. The foam ear plugs solved that issue.

I’m using the IPad mini 4, wifi cellular. I love it, works great. The cellular means the maps will update no matter where I’ve moved to and the video has no lag whatsoever. Great match. I use both wifi and OTG connection between the iPad and the RC.

I do not know if the above users of iPad mini 4 have DJI Go 4 on it. Mine is a mini4 with 128Gb and cellular. After two hundred full flights with Phantom 4 and with absolutely not any problem, the very bad video transmissions started after late updates since summertime. Now the mini4 is absolutely not able to process a smooth video after one battery is flown, or even less. It gets hot, and is not permitting me make any filming due to many blocked or green screens and the inability to follow what is happening in front of the camera.
I am an Apple user (iMac, iPhones, iPad, iPad mini...) but now I would seriously consider an alternative to the not so capable iPad mini facing the process power requirements of new updates.
Please, check with some friend’s tablet that your phantom equipment, both hardware and software is working OK before spending a lot of money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers