iPad to GS connection failures

Reaction score
Although I've done a number of simulated GS flights once I got to the field today I was unable to maintain a reliable connection between the Ground Station and my iPad Air. It was basically hit-or-miss and quite frustrating as the connection to the aircraft frequently breaks just as I'm setting up a mission.

I don't know if this is also related to the connection problem above but on my first two actual GS flights today it seemed that the Phantom did not stop (or turn) at the first waypoint -- it just kept going, forcing me to regain control manually.

The sense of unreliability in today's flights is making me quite nervous about trying again!

There is no indication of a connection when I check Bluetooth in the iPad's Settings. The GS app warns that I do not have a connection to the aircraft. Occasionally, however, even after getting the (voice) message that there is no connection it will suddenly tell me, "GPS Attitude" and I'm connected.

I've tried rebooting the three main components -- Ground and Air ends, and the Phantom itself, but can find no consistent solution to establishing a connection. As I said, it is hit-or-miss.

OI Photography said:
Are you saying that the iPad is losing the link with the BTU, or just that the ground end and the air end stop talking?

Gotcha. I've learned that the BTU won't ever show in the iPad's BT settings as a connected (or even available) device, the app just finds it and connects...but only after the ground end and air end have been powered up and had their link established.

You may know this already, but the ground and air ends can have trouble getting or staying connected when they're within like 8 ft of each other (I think that's the distance, I can't remember exactly). I don't know if that's part of the issue when you get to the field or not.

I'm also not sure what's up with it seeming to ignore the first waypoint. It obviously thought it was flying towards something, but I can't say what. Were you watching the flight trace at the time, or was at a time you had lost connection?

I had the Ground and Air ends separated by about 15 feet at first, then began moving them closer together until they were about six feet apart. (I believe the minimum distance is 1.5 meters.)

I was watching both the iPad's flight track and the quad itself but once it got beyond the point where I expected it to turn (I had set a triangular course) things got crazy, as it appeared headed right toward the tree line around the (10 acre) field. I know this isn't conclusive but I'd deliberately set a short flight, under 3 minutes, so I'm either jumping the gun on regaining control or something is not working right. But... what would be wrong? On the face of it, at least, the set-up is simple -- as I eventually learned with the simulator.

Well, there's probably nothing to be done other than trying again, but this time it will be a very short mission, perhaps just 50 feet out and back. And speaking of that... how do you get the Phantom to return if you just want to send it out to a single waypoint? Do you set a second waypoint at "Home" or just over-ride the mission and fly home yourself?

thanks!

OI Photography said:
Gotcha. I've learned that the BTU won't ever show in the iPad's BT settings as a connected (or even available) device, the app just finds it and connects...but only after the ground end and air end have been powered up and had their link established.

You may know this already, but the ground and air ends can have trouble getting or staying connected when they're within like 8 ft of each other (I think that's the distance, I can't remember exactly). I don't know if that's part of the issue when you get to the field or not.

I'm also not sure what's up with it seeming to ignore the first waypoint. It obviously thought it was flying towards something, but I can't say what. Were you watching the flight trace at the time, or was at a time you had lost connection?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie