iPad mini requirements

Last edited:
Use your normal iPad cable with USB on one end and the Lightning connector on the other. The cables in the box are to allow you to update the firmware on the P4 for example...

How can you tell if you have a mini or mini 2? I've looked in settings and didn't see anything.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How can you tell if you have a mini or mini 2? I've looked in settings and didn't see anything.
Google the model number from the back of your mini.

iPad Air 2 on Groupon for $349, can't beat the price, $529 at BestBuy. It has cellular and wifi and best anti reflection on the market.

Price looks good for sure, the screen reflectivity is beaten by the iPad Pro 9.7 and even that isn't good enough to manage without a sunshade so don't get too excited about that aspect though.

I went and had my iPad mini 2 replaced today as my daughter smashed the screen. Thought my iPad mini 2 would be perfect for my new p4. Took my p4 for my first flight using the mini2 ,unfortunately kept on dropping out , half the screen was green, quite a bit of lag and certainly terrible in sunlight. Swapped it over to my iPad Air , perfect.

Thought my iPad mini 2 would be perfect for my new p4. Took my p4 for my first flight using the mini2 ,unfortunately kept on dropping out , half the screen was green, quite a bit of lag and certainly terrible in sunlight. Swapped it over to my iPad Air , perfect.

May sound like a silly question, but are you 100% sure it is a mini 2?

Until very recently Apple were still selling the original Mini and a lot of people got that thinking it was a mini 2.

Just go to 'settings' then 'about' and look down the list for the model number. Google that and you will see what you have there.

The mini 2 or the mini 3 have the same hardware and should run the Go App just fine.

May sound like a silly question, but are you 100% sure it is a mini 2?

Until very recently Apple were still selling the original Mini and a lot of people got that thinking it was a mini 2.

Just go to 'settings' then 'about' and look down the list for the model number. Google that and you will see what you have there.

The mini 2 or the mini 3 have the same hardware and should run the Go App just fine.
Thanks mark, you are right the buggers have replaced it with the iPad mini and not the 2. Back to Apple tomorrow . Cheers

I'd check back to your original purchase and make sure that was a mini 2 as well just in case.

You should have the model number on the original receipt or the box if you still have it, also on your Apple Care receipt..

I'd check back to your original purchase and make sure that was a mini 2 as well just in case.

You should have the model number on the original receipt or the box if you still have it, also on your Apple Care receipt..
The welcome mat guy at Apple who pointed me in the right direction was the one who told me it was a two , when I fact it was a one .So the girl who replaced it was correct. I'll go back and see what can be done, worst case my daughter gets her iPad back minus the cracked screen. Unfortunately I've stumbled across this forum after the fact. Cheers

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news then :(

Hope you get solution that works for you.

Well, a great outcome. They ended up refunding me the cost of the replacement but allowing me to keep the mini and giving me a good deal on the 4. Thank you apple.

In my experience with WiFi, most all of it is point-to-point, peer-to peer, two parties exchanging info, my computer and the internet, two computers, a computer and a printer, that kind of stuff.

In the case of the Phantom 3std(1), its remote controller(2), and the mobile device(3) this is a three-way conversation. Add to that, the fact that the mobile device has a simultaneous need(I think) to access maps on the internet while flights are going on.

Can anyone help me understand the following things?...
  • Is cellular internet capability required on the modile device (I use an iPad mini w WiFi only) to make the mapping functions on the DJI Go app work? or can I go over the areas in advance that I want to fly on so the map get pre-loaded? BTW, I did the conversion to the Inspire1's device holder, works great!
  • I wish that the WiFi relationships(which component is in charge of what)were described in more detail in the manual. I know this information isn't required to fly but I'm very curious about it. If anyone has found a reference that goes into how all this business works I'd love to see it.
  • I'd like to know if the video downlink is done across the Phantom WiFi network or if there is another mechanism that transmits and recieves the video.
  • I've heard people talk about "Lightbridge" technology usually in the context of video transmission but I don't know how that relates to our quadcopters.
Many thanks for all your help.

Is cellular internet capability required on the modile device (I use an iPad mini w WiFi only) to make the mapping functions on the DJI Go app work?
No. You can cache the maps before you head out to fly. Or, you could tether your iPad Mini to a device that has a cellular connection.

I bought the iPad Mini4 to replace an older Android to run the DJI Go app. The app kept crashing on the Android. The iPad has worked flawlessly. I got the cellular version and activated the service so all the features would work. My only regret is that I should have gotten one with more memory. I bought the smaller 32GB one because the intent was to just run the drone. It works so much faster that it has evolved into my main mobile device for everything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4