iPad Mini 2.....what (if anything) do I lose by not having cellular?

Reaction score
I confess, I am about as smart as a sack of doorknobs when it comes to cell phones.

I see the iPad Mini 2 is listed as "recommended" when it comes to the P3A. What I do not get is what functionality do I lose if I do not have an iPad on a cellular plan? I've ordered a 16GB Mini 2, but it's WiFi only.

Thanks!

I have an iPad air 1 WiFi which I wasn't using much. I had been using my iPhone 5S with my Phantom 2 Vision Plus but seeing that the holder on the P3 handles an iPad I'm going to use that. I really won't be flying other than LOS and I have never needed to use DHP so cache your maps beforehand either on WiFi or by tethering to your phone and you'll be good to go - and save some money!

You won't be able to use any of the features that require an Internet connection. For example, streaming to YouTube and displaying the map of your current location. The latter can be resolved by caching the maps while connected to the Internet, so it's not a big deal unless you forget to do it and you go flying in a new location.

allentc2, to cache the map, just move around in the map that displays at the bottom, right corner of the DJI Pilot app. It'll be easier to do if you tap the map to enlarge it. As you move around to new locations on the map, the map tiles will be loaded and cached (saved locally) on your mobile device. Just make sure you move to all map locations where your Phantom will be flying.

Okay, I think I get it. Having cellular reception allows the app to know where it is, and thereby display the proper map. Or something along those lines, right?

No. The cellular reception allows your mobile device to connect to the Internet -- which is required to download the map images. GPS is used to track your Phantom's location.

Is the GPS important on the tablet apart from the cellular features? iPad's that are WiFi only don't have the GPS, but cellular ones do.

Thanks,
Chris

GPS will probably only be needed if you're using software that includes a dynamic home point and/or follow me feature.

I personally would want the GPS to be available for future needs, or software functions.

If I'm not mistaken, ATT charges in order to let your phone work as a hotspot.

I talked at length with an ATT rep about getting an iPad added to my plan, but it was just too expensive. I'm exploring options now. Still not sure it'd be worth the additional cost. I'll just wait till it's time to change plans then maybe move into a Mini 3 with cellular.

I talked at length with an ATT rep about getting an iPad added to my plan, but it was just too expensive. I'm exploring options now. Still not sure it'd be worth the additional cost. I'll just wait till it's time to change plans then maybe move into a Mini 3 with cellular.
Verizon doesn't charge to hotspot if you have the more everything plan.

They used to charge an extra fee for the hot spot, but have changed so you just use your data from your data plan. There is no additional charge now. It's great for quick uses when you're out of WiFi range.

Back to the current subject: I would actually not use the cellular data and use my phone as a hot spot if needed but I'm still torn about the GPS. Can any one elaborate on software that may be available for Inspire now that would benefit from the tablet having GPS?

Another possible solution for me would be to go with a WiFi iPad and fall back to my iPhone if there is an app that comes along that really needs GPS (i.e. follow me, etc).

Thoughts?
Chris

Reactions: Alex Kiritsis
They used to charge an extra fee for the hot spot, but have changed so you just use your data from your data plan. There is no additional charge now. It's great for quick uses when you're out of WiFi range.

Back to the current subject: I would actually not use the cellular data and use my phone as a hot spot if needed but I'm still torn about the GPS. Can any one elaborate on software that may be available for Inspire now that would benefit from the tablet having GPS?

Another possible solution for me would be to go with a WiFi iPad and fall back to my iPhone if there is an app that comes along that really needs GPS (i.e. follow me, etc).

Thoughts?
Chris
There is no software available for the Inspire/P3 other than the stock app because the SDK isn't available to the general public yet (though rumor has it that a select few developers have it already). Once it is, expect a handful of apps that will add features and will require your device to have GPS. Just get the GPS. It's a drop in the bucket compared to how much you've already spent! :)

Thoughts?
Chris
I still have unlimited data with ATT, because of this they won't let me hotspot unless I switch to a capped data plan! It doesn't matter. I will be doing the same as u. Wifi iPad mini on the regular and iPhone 6 plus for any GPS or internet uses. The iphone 6's screen has the same coating as the iPad Air 2 and hear it does very well in the sun.

Could you not tether your iPad (without GSM) to a phone with gsm to get the map data ?

You don't need cellular service or even a sim card in your iPad to use the GPS but it does need to be a cellular capable iPad because the wifi only iPads don't have GPSs.

No. The cellular reception allows your mobile device to connect to the Internet -- which is required to download the map images. GPS is used to track your Phantom's location.
How do you connect to the internet out in the middle of nowhere? I thought wifi was what connected to the internet, forgive me, as I am not a iphone/tab expert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic