iPad 2air

Reaction score
looks like I will be purchasing a iPad 2 air with cellular. Those using the same how many gig do you have and are you happy with iPad?? My old iPad won't even let me download the pilot app.

I'm a get the best kinda guy. I use the 128 under at&t. Only app on it I'd the pilot app I don't use it for anything else haha. Works great

I upgraded my old iPad 2 when my P3 came to the iPad Air 2 and am super happy with it. No glitches at all for the Pilot app. It runs my work apps faster and the battery is incredible.

I have the cellular version without cellular service for now. I cache the maps either with my phone as a hot spot or at home before I go fly.

Highly recommended!

Chris

Reactions: Havavision
I just bought the ipad air 2 with 16 gb... I am only planing on using it with the P3... I do not like Apple and there marketing... but it seems that as of this moment ipad is the best.

Reactions: MJF739B
Do you have to have cellular for it to work?

No. It will work with the WiFi only model.

Keep in mind the cellular version has the GPS hardware also. WiFi only version does not. If you plan on using the dynamic home point (set the hoe point after the P3 is in the air based on where the controller is) this will only work with the cellular model since the app needs a GPS signal to set the dynamic home point.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
No. It will work with the WiFi only model.

Keep in mind the cellular version has the GPS hardware also. WiFi only version does not. If you plan on using the dynamic home point (set the hoe point after the P3 is in the air based on where the controller is) this will only work with the cellular model since the app needs a GPS signal to set the dynamic home point.

Thank you
This helps

OK just so I am clear. I will be using the iPad Air 2 WiFi only. I will not be able to set a home point with this? If that is the case, then if I use a hot spot (through cell) for initial take-off, will that allow it to record the home point for RTH? Thanks for clarifying.

I recently bought an IPad 2 Air 64. No cellular. It works very well with my P3P. This is my first IPad or I anything for that matter. I was shocked as to what I could not do with the IPad 2 Air. Apple is quick to sell you additional accessories to do simple things like read an SD card. Why can't Apple use a standard mini USB plug? I'm done venting. It's a nice tablet. It works well with the P3.

You won't be able to set a dynamic home point without the cellular version. I have the 16 GB cellular version and it's great. unless you need or want to set a dynamic home point cellular version is irrelevant. Also no need for a lot of gigabytes if you're not going to be using it for iTunes or movies or something like that.

I just ordered a 16GB WI-FI LTE Air 2 as my Mini 2 was not cutting it in the heat we have here, today it got up to 101º and my iPad pretty much shut down. I was flying in about 90º and on the 3rd battery the FPV started lagging real bad, with video blips. First time this has happened, if I had known I would not have bought it and gone straight to the Air 2. I got the LTE 4G version as I have Verizon for my other phones on the Family Share Plan and a SIM card is only $9.95 a month.

OK just so I am clear. I will be using the iPad Air 2 WiFi only. I will not be able to set a home point with this? If that is the case, then if I use a hot spot (through cell) for initial take-off, will that allow it to record the home point for RTH? Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, using the phone as a hotspot will also share the phone's GPS to the iPad. This is what I'm doing. I have a WiFi only iPad Air and iPhone 5s hotspot.

Just to clarify................ you "will" be able to set the initial home point. You "won't" be able to set a "dynamic" home point. That's when you "change" from the initial home point to a "new" home point where the controller is currently located, such as if you've moved to another spot and want return-to-home to now be at that location.

Thank you for explaining the difference. I am learning an incredible amount on this forum. Can't wait to actually fly this thing, get good at it, and hopefully help others out someday with some advice. Really a great forum. Thanks again.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
II have the iPad Air 2 WiFi, which works great. I've had no issues during 30 flights so far. I use my iPhone as a hotspot before take-off to download map, then I switch on airplane mode on both devices. I have ordered the device holder for Inspire controller, as the plastic one that comes with the Phantom controller makes the large iPad wobble during use and I fear it might break one day.

II have the iPad Air 2 WiFi, which works great. I've had no issues during 30 flights so far. I use my iPhone as a hotspot before take-off to download map, then I switch on airplane mode on both devices. I have ordered the device holder for Inspire controller, as the plastic one that comes with the Phantom controller makes the large iPad wobble during use and I fear it might break one day.
+1 16GB is all you need. Wi-Fi only if you have a hotspot on phone to load maps. Display is much easier to see in bright sunlight than the iPad Mini 2.

I'm using the iPad Air 2, and can highly recommend it. I've got the cellular version, as I wanted to future proof myself by having GPS. I'm hoping that 3rd party apps will arrive that can implement things like follow me which are likely to rely on a good GPS position from the iPad.

I'm also using it for editing, and it handles the 4K footage from my Pro with ease. Transcoding to 1080p also happens really quickly either in iMovie or Pinnacle Studio.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31