Installing new ESC Part 33 (old control board) wiring

Reaction score
I am resurrecting a second P3P that crashed last year and has been repaired once. During the crash, a few components popped loose on the ESC and the USB connector plug on the ESC came off completely. I was able to get everything except the USB connector back on and the bird was flying well. However, being unable to download flight logs directly off the Quad, I saved up and bought a new replacement ESC. I confirmed that I had the original old style part 33 and it arrived ok. After wiring everything up, and trying to load a new bios, the board started very loud beeping on the two arms that hold the black dot motors. As I never removed the motors and only rewired the new ESC I'm wondering if the yellow/red/black configuration is reversed or something. I confirmed by looking at the board that I have the yellow/red/black soldered on where it says "yellow, red and black". Only the motor arms across from each other are screaming. Never heard this very loud beep before and it is coming from both sides in addition to the small chirp you hear when you load a bios and when the bird starts up. On the Go app, I get camera video and can control the camera but it says the copter is not connected at the top of the screen. Double checked all solder joints and all is well there. Any clues? Perhaps on the reverse motors the wiring is backwards to what is indicated on the board? I don't know.

I am resurrecting a second P3P that crashed last year and has been repaired once. During the crash, a few components popped loose on the ESC and the USB connector plug on the ESC came off completely. I was able to get everything except the USB connector back on and the bird was flying well. However, being unable to download flight logs directly off the Quad, I saved up and bought a new replacement ESC. I confirmed that I had the original old style part 33 and it arrived ok. After wiring everything up, and trying to load a new bios, the board started very loud beeping on the two arms that hold the black dot motors. As I never removed the motors and only rewired the new ESC I'm wondering if the yellow/red/black configuration is reversed or something. I confirmed by looking at the board that I have the yellow/red/black soldered on where it says "yellow, red and black". Only the motor arms across from each other are screaming. Never heard this very loud beep before and it is coming from both sides in addition to the small chirp you hear when you load a bios and when the bird starts up. On the Go app, I get camera video and can control the camera but it says the copter is not connected at the top of the screen. Double checked all solder joints and all is well there. Any clues? Perhaps on the reverse motors the wiring is backwards to what is indicated on the board? I don't know.
The wires themselves are coated under the exterior insulation. When you spliced the motors to the new main board, did you scrape the coating from the wires before connecting the wires together?

I didn't splice. As this was a new replacement ESC board, I nipped the motor wires off the old board, stripped them and re-soldered to the new board after tinning the ends. It's a good solid connection. It's just beeping like a banshee while I try to update the bios, which I am doing because I have no idea how old this new stock replacement board is.

I didn't splice. As this was a new replacement ESC board, I nipped the motor wires off the old board, stripped them and re-soldered to the new board after tinning the ends. It's a good solid connection. It's just beeping like a banshee while I try to update the bios, which I am doing because I have no idea how old this new stock replacement board is.
It's good to hear that you didn't splice which is not the best thing to do. Of course, as you noted it was a new main board so splicing wasn't really an option anyway. I read that you didn't remove the motors and somehow I incorrectly thought you meant splicing. Clearly I was way off track on that one. Sorry for that.

As for the coating (enamelling) on the leads from the motors. I mentioned that since we have seen it reported here often that people did not scrape off the coating before attaching to the main board. As you can imagine it lead to ESC errors and other issues until they went back and removed the coating. In your case however, it sounds like you did a good job with the soldering. :)

I'm having issues with the newly installed board. Looking at some of the components, it looks very much like the part 96 ESC for the new motors, even though the box it came in says part 33. I compared to pictures of the part 96 and I think they sent me the wrong board :-(

I'm having issues with the newly installed board. Looking at some of the components, it looks very much like the part 96 ESC for the new motors, even though the box it came in says part 33. I compared to pictures of the part 96 and I think they sent me the wrong board :-(

It’s a few months later and I thought I would update. Sent the ESC back to the seller, bought another one from a different vendor and it works great. I’m thinking there was something funky with the first one. Matched all wire for wire so I think the board was just bad.

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31