Installing DJI A2 Flight control on Phantom 2 - GPS accuracy

Re: Installing DJI A2 Flight control on Phantom 2 - GPS accu

riblit said:
GPSr accuracy is dependent on a range of factors including the time of day, position of the satellite constellation you are using, number of satellites, receiver location, reflections etc. All of these can combine to give a high DOP.
You need a GPSr that gives you a number for HDOP at least. The lower the number the better the horizontal accuracy.

Don't use a smartphone, buy a real GPSr, turn WAAS off unless you are sure the module you are using in the Phantom uses it ( I doubt it does ) and you are in an area that supports WAAS, and use it to check your positions.

I have been using the GPS system for over 10 years and can tell you that the accuracy varies between 1 and 10 metres here in Eastern Aust. Smartphones can be as far as 200 metres out as they don't have an efficient antenna and switch to cell tower triangulation if they lose signal. Cell tower triangulation is extremely inaccurate.

I would have to disagree with your general comment on cell phone GPS. I've never seen errors of that magnitude. Modern phones, especially those that receive both GPS and GLONASS, are remarkably accurate, and 10 m is an unusually large error for them. I typically see 2 - 3 m. Cell tower data are only used to speed up the initial fix, not to calculate actual location.

Re: Installing DJI A2 Flight control on Phantom 2 - GPS accu

The ublox-6 family of 'position engines', as they call them, contain a hybrid GPS/SBAS engine.

This information can be found here:
http://www.u-blox.com/en/gps-modules/pv ... amily.html

Further reading indicates that SBAS is enabled by default with 3 channels prioritized for reception.
(unless DJI has chosen to disable)

As the link indicates this family of modules is 'previous' so anyone's guess as to what will be shipped in theses a/c in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic