IMU error

Reaction score
I got to fly my new P3P two times and it performed flawlessly.

Now when I power up I get a IMU Error -- please recalibrate. Could not find anything in user's guide. I have tried compass calibration several times.

Any one know how to calibrate the IMU?

Thanks -- need to fly before sunset!

Which device are using android or iOS? If you go to the settings... If you flick through each tab you will find I M U. Just click on recalb. Remember to keep your phantom on level ground and do not move.

Mode icon then Advanced then sensors. You will be able to calibrate the IMU there. Make sure it is on a flat surface.

Mode icon then Advanced then sensors. You will be able to calibrate the IMU there. Make sure it is on a flat surface.

Tahoe thanks -- it worked. I reached out to your chat site and got a prompt response telling me the same thing. I was up and running in minutes. Looks like the 24/7 support works!

I have the same problem and is not going away. Please help!. I tried re-calibrating and nothing.

Phew!!! never mind. I freaked out. I did the IMU calibration and after check IMU + the gimbal calibration and we are good now. But I never had this problem since the day bought it (month ago). So let me explain what I believed triggered it. So people don't repeat the stupid thing I did:

I followed this suggestion to calibrate your batteries, which makes sense.
1. Basically after flying your drone and having fun etc... so you can run out the battery.
2. You take the props off and turn the drone on. (Not the motors)
3. You just let it sit there until all the battery runs out and the drone turns off.

At this point you are setting the start and end point of the battery (Like a recycle).

Mistake: I decided to turn tried to turn on the drone again after the battery had ran out to check the battery level (big mistake). Obviously the drone tried to turn on but shut off right after due to no juice in the battery. I believe what happened here and coming from an IT background the internal CPU did not properly boot and thus return an IMU error. After I turn it back on with a 100% fresh battery.

Solution: I added the latest firmware bin file and did the IMU calibration + check IMU + gimbal calibration. After this I still had the error (freaking out). I did a complete power cycle by turning the drone and remote off and back on. Now the error disappeared :)

Phew!! Close call..... and after hearing how bad DJI support is and do not want to go that route.

Dear Tahoe Ed, It's indeed, very Good to see you here.
Thanks for the support.

Chilling down the drone good, before an IMU calibration can vastly reduce initial warmup time.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Dear Tahoe Ed, It's indeed, very Good to see you here.
Thanks for the support.

Chilling down the drone good, before an IMU calibration can vastly reduce initial warmup time.

RedHotPoker

His posting was over a year ago.

Yup, just wishing out loud, he would join us in the future. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Okay, so I know the original post is old but.....

How cold should the drone be (freezer, refrigerator, garage over night) and are there any other secrets to doing this correctly? I'm getting the message until the drone has been on for two minutes every start up.

If you can chill it down in front of an air conditioner for 15-20min, that would be fine. Or you can sit it in the fridge for twenty...
Have the RC and App ready on the IMU calibration screen, just before you replace the flight battery and turn it on. When the camera stops moving, tap the IMU calibration button. Then do the gimbal calibration right after.
This cold calibration will help alleviate that initial warm up period.
It has also helped some folks with a crooked horizon, get that straightened out. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hi, please report back if this has indeed helped your situation and if everything is working correctly afterwards. Thanks.

RedHotPoker

Yesterday was the first chance I had to fly since trying it and everything SEEMS fine now. I flew three batteries worth and didn't see the IMU warning.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic