IMU Calibration Necessary?

Reaction score
Just received my new P3A. Going to update the firmware and such. Following that, is it necessary to do an IMU calibration on my new bird?

Judgement call. Some say you'll be fine. Others say you should do it because it might have gotten banged around during shipping from China.

Judgement call. Some say you'll be fine. Others say you should do it because it might have gotten banged around during shipping from China.
I'll interpret that as a "better safe than sorry" situation. It certainly isn't going to hurt it to do an IMU cal (assuming it's level and cold).

You should based on the conditions below:
Transportation.
Change of climate.
After a firmware update.
After a crash.

Make sure the phantom is cold as possible. Make sure you do it immediately when you turn on the Phantom.
Make sure you find a levelled place.

is it necessary to do an IMU calibration on my new bird?
It might not be necessary, but it's a good idea to do it just in case. Check out the following video for some helpful tips and a how to:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just received my new P3A. Going to update the firmware and such. Following that, is it necessary to do an IMU calibration on my new bird?
I would say YES. Every time you update the firmware I suggest a new IMU calibration. It only takes a couple minutes to setup and start. Then walk away for 20min while it completes. It's not a big deal. But if you want the system to boot and fly quickly each time, it's advised to chill the craft before doing the IMU calibration. That takes a little more time. You can search on methods for this in this forum, there are different techniques and opinions how best to chill the craft. However chilling does help get you in the air quicker, each time you fly, not having to wait for the IMU to warm up.

Last edited:
Reactions: alokbhargava
I was going to bring up IMU calibrating in a new thread but seeing as how your all discussing here I;m going to ask you guys- I did an IMU calibration when I first got my P3A, about 4 months ago. I have not done one since, ,my bird fly's just perfectly. I;ve had no issues whatsoever.
I've had no "warnings" of any kind. I fly at 4 spots all within 60 miles of each other & if I recall, when I did decide to do an IMU calibration(month ago) I got a "IMU calibration not necessary" message.
So, I;m assuming the phrase- Don't mess with a good thing holds true, eh?

royster, are you sure you're not referring to a compass calibration?

Since the IMU calibration needs to be done on a perfectly level surface, it's probably not best to attempt that calibration when out in the field.

I would say yes, cold imu & compass calibration for your location, get that & no need to do again, long startup / boot time redo imu, compass I did before every flight back when I got mine, ouch learned the hard way but that's what all the guys on YT said to do, didn't lose her but scary scary, now can't remember the last time I calibrated compass, the guys above gave you sound & valuable info, have fun & enjoy

It might not be necessary, but it's a good idea to do it just in case. Check out the following video for some helpful tips and a how to:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just when I thought about asking the question, thank goodness for the search bar :) didn't want to bore anybody with the dumb questions. :) I guess the same applies to the P4; I'll be doing this upon receiving the bird for the first time?

IMU - Internal Measurement Unit... I got it, I got it...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.