I'm sorry I'm tired of the tilted horizon

I got my P3P earlier this month. I've been having the same issue with the tilted horizon. I've tried cold IMU & gimbal calibrations. Hasn't fixed the issue at all. I have to adjust the gimbal roll manually in flight. But even then it won't stay level, but breifly. I have to re-adjust during flight. I don't know if I should call dji and send it back then wait for months. Or wait and see if it's just a firmware issue. Mine came already updated to the latest firmware too.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
And just to clarify to some of the members who are trying to help... My and I'm assuming most of us, have the tilt happening during flight... When yawing or rotating... Here are pics

Attachments

• 1437592512662.jpg
    1437592512662.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 1437592544648.jpg
    1437592544648.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 1437592561369.jpg
    1437592561369.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: Oso
Yep..mine can be level before take off. Happens during flight. I can manual correct in a hover. Then fly around a bit more, only to have it mess up yet again.

I've been looking over the gimbal & camera to see if anything looked out of align mechanically. I don't really see anything out of wack.

I got my P3P earlier this month. I've been having the same issue with the tilted horizon. I've tried cold IMU & gimbal calibrations. Hasn't fixed the issue at all. I have to adjust the gimbal roll manually in flight. But even then it won't stay level, but breifly. I have to re-adjust during flight. I don't know if I should call dji and send it back then wait for months. Or wait and see if it's just a firmware issue. Mine came already updated to the latest firmware too.
I chose to not send mine in since it will be gone for so long and will have little chance of being corrected. As amazing as the P3 is overall, the tilted horizon for me is still very disappointing.

OK, so I haven't experienced this with regular flights until now. Just did a 2.5 mile flight, and a lot of flights yesterday, all with horrible tilted horizon. Both with and without my snp filters. Tried gimbal calibration.

One thing I noticed... When I went I turned 360 degrees, it leveled out perfectly at both 180 degree points. So it was like a "rolling" unbalance feeling where it would go from perfect, then gradually worse as I spun to 90 degrees which was worst, then reverse back to perfect at the 180 degree point. Then the same thing again back to starting point. At multiple times on my long flight I'd see gimbal overload error (never seen before), flashing in and out periodically. Wtf?

Any help guys? I haven't read this whole thread, but any conclusions? My fault? Phantoms?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

And just to clarify to some of the members who are trying to help... My and I'm assuming most of us, have the tilt happening during flight... When yawing or rotating... Here are pics
Yep, this is what happens to me. When perpendicular to the coast (in most of my flights), it's worst, then yaw left and right 90 degrees it fixes itself, then back to bad as I turn around. I've tested again in zero wind today, like none... So no **** idea why? Wtf. Perfect upon takeoff..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Interesting! Early Yesterday morning when filming some cloud and fog noticed that when facing North or South horizon was level. East/West horizon tilted, but in opposite direction. Later when in post processing the footage I noted that was not always the case. You can see this in the attached footage. The mobile phone to is to the North and serves as a reference point.

Really annoyed at this problem, it has to be a firmware problem, not mechanical as it is influenced by heading. I don't want to have to buy high end movie making software to fix tilted horizons in footage.

Super frustrating since it is so variable. It's hard to pan since the horizon changes as you go. Editing in post is hard since you want a continuous shot but you can't get it. It's really sad when otherwise the P3 is so fantastic.

I can only imagine that fixing it in firmware must be very difficult since most see the issue but some do not see the issue. The least they could do is to make the manual gimbal roll adjustment a sticky setting.

Yes and No we are having during flight but yawing is not the issue it is when in straight flight also
Mine is correct on take off about 50% of time but after a few minutes its back to -.08 off again even after I adjust it

Reactions: jlo
ANY input/info of possible solutions? Anything from DJI? Is this a P3 issue, or a firmware problem?

When is DJI going to update the firmware and fix this. I'm not very skilled in premiere pro and dont have time to try and fix this crap. SO FRUSTRATING. Hey DJI, I will be posting this issue all over the internet to your potential customers, telling them not to buy this garbage until you FIX IT.

A lot of Inspire 1 gimbals have the same problem and those bad boys cost almost 3 times what the Phantom 3 Pro cost. If DJI can't fix it on the Inspire I doubt they can fix it on the P3 :p

I don't suffer from that specific problem anymore since my Inspire burnt out 2 motors simultaneously during flight and took a swim in a lake. I've not flown the P3 enough to have noticed the skew horizon. Will find out soon enough I guess:D

Good point. However, doing a (with a chilled down Phantom 3) full IMU calibration that can usually help significantly. Still, I do think DJI should be able to do some software update to at least lessen the problem.

Regarding your Inspire crash - Holy smoke! o_O:( How on earth could that happen? Sounds like a scary experience.

Regarding the non-level horizon; it was a problem too on the Phantom 2 Vision+. But it was not as easy to see because of the fisheye lens that made it more difficult to spot - until you would remove the fisheye effect in post-production :)

Regarding your Inspire crash - Holy smoke! o_O:( How on earth could that happen? Sounds like a scary experience.
Turned out it wasn't burnt out motors (even though the copper coils are burnt black on both those motors). Some as-yet-unidentified glitch dropped the bird out of the sky:eek:.

After drying the Inspire out for 2 weeks I was able to hover it at low altitude for about 36 mins (to run my batts down to 50% for storage):D. It's on its way back to China to get repaired/replaced.

We do extensive post-production, so tilting the horizon back to level isn't the end of the world for me. Before the I1 & P3 I've always corrected the horizon of the P2 with GoPro4 footage. Granted, that was always 2.7K footage, so we had the resolution to work with. I don't like the 4K of the I1 or P3. Too "jittery" in the details.

Granted, that was always 2.7K footage, so we had the resolution to work with. I don't like the 4K of the I1 or P3. Too "jittery" in the details.

Good luck with the I1.

I usually film with the Custom Style with
-1 Sharpness (some advice to go -2, -3 (maximum) is very soft) That eliminates the worst 'sharpness' and moire.
-3 Contrast (together with LOG this gives the most Dynamic Range to work with in post)
-1 Saturation (This is a matter of taste - but I would work with it in post anyway)

I've written a little ebook with Aerial Videography Tips & Tricks that you can download from here:
http://phantomfilters.com/ebook/phantomfilters_eBook.pdf

Reactions: DrJoe
Good luck with the I1.

I usually film with the Custom Style with
-1 Sharpness (some advice to go -2, -3 (maximum) is very soft) That eliminates the worst 'sharpness' and moire.
-3 Contrast (together with LOG this gives the most Dynamic Range to work with in post)
-1 Saturation (This is a matter of taste - but I would work with it in post anyway)

I've written a little ebook with Aerial Videography Tips & Tricks that you can download from here:
http://phantomfilters.com/ebook/phantomfilters_eBook.pdf
I shoot the same Custom setup with my color set to LOG.
However, in 4K the footage has was appears to be micro exposure changes in the mid-tone. It's fairly obvious to the eye, and when I watch my scopes I can see a definite "shimmer" in the mid-tones. Even at -3 sharpness it's still there. Very painful.

Thanks for the link to your e-book. Looking forward to having a look!

I shoot the same Custom setup with my color set to LOG.
However, in 4K the footage has was appears to be micro exposure changes in the mid-tone. It's fairly obvious to the eye, and when I watch my scopes I can see a definite "shimmer" in the mid-tones. Even at -3 sharpness it's still there. Very painful.

Thanks for the link to your e-book. Looking forward to having a look!

Do you shoot in Manual mode - or in AE-lock mode, or auto?

I've come to like the AE-lock mode a lot (hitting the AE (Auto Exposure)-lock (upper right corner) to keep the camera from changing ISO, Shutter Speed or EV.

Reactions: jryser
Do you shoot in Manual mode - or in AE-lock mode, or auto?

I've come to like the AE-lock mode a lot (hitting the AE (Auto Exposure)-lock (upper right corner) to keep the camera from changing ISO, Shutter Speed or EV.
I always shoot manual. I use ND's no my shutter stays at 1/50th and my ISO 100...

Reactions: jryser

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl