I'm sorry I'm tired of the tilted horizon

That was driving me crazy as well. I finally did a mid-air gimbal auto-calibration on a day with no wind and haven't had a problem since. I hope it holds out, since that was soooo frustrating to have to manually calibrate (mine was -2.1) every time I started a flight.

Interesting! Early Yesterday morning when filming some cloud and fog noticed that when facing North or South horizon was level. East/West horizon tilted, but in opposite direction. Later when in post processing the footage I noted that was not always the case. You can see this in the attached footage. The mobile phone to is to the North and serves as a reference point.

Really annoyed at this problem, it has to be a firmware problem, not mechanical as it is influenced by heading. I don't want to have to buy high end movie making software to fix tilted horizons in footage.[/QUOT
That is a great video even with the horizon problem!!

Interesting! Early Yesterday morning when filming some cloud and fog noticed that when facing North or South horizon was level. East/West horizon tilted, but in opposite direction. Later when in post processing the footage I noted that was not always the case. You can see this in the attached footage. The mobile phone to is to the North and serves as a reference point.

Really annoyed at this problem, it has to be a firmware problem, not mechanical as it is influenced by heading. I don't want to have to buy high end movie making software to fix tilted horizons in footage.

Same thing here, its a directional issue for me... flips going up the coast and down, and then when yawing, goes into a rolling slant and level when facing the coast, or away from.. Tried it again when back at home.. same thing.

That was driving me crazy as well. I finally did a mid-air gimbal auto-calibration on a day with no wind and haven't had a problem since. I hope it holds out, since that was soooo frustrating to have to manually calibrate (mine was -2.1) every time I started a flight.
Awesome that it worked for you. As you saw in the thread, I've done countless mid-air gimbal calibrations with little change. Like I said, I just eventually gave up and I'm resigned to the fact that I will likely never have a level horizon. I still fly and enjoy the P3 very much, so I hold out a tiny bit of hope that one day DJI will be able to fix this for those of us who have the issue.

Apparently not everybody has this issue? Almost makes me want to buy another one from amazon and throw mine in the box and return mine and keep the new one that hopefully wont have the horizon issue. Not saying I am going to do that but that is how frustrated I am with this problem.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Apparently not everybody has this issue? Almost makes me want to buy another one from amazon and throw mine in the box and return mine and keep the new one that hopefully wont have the horizon issue. Not saying I am going to do that but that is how frustrated I am with this problem.
Correct. Not everyone has the issue. It seems to be luck of the draw, though the ones who don't have it often say its because the ones who do have it are not doing a level IMU calibration.

Correct. Not everyone has the issue. It seems to be luck of the draw, though the ones who don't have it often say its because the ones who do have it are not doing a level IMU calibration.
I put a piece of glass across all 4 motors and used a bubble level. Still has the issue. It seems to be a hardware issue or else they would all be affected and dji would have addressed it by now.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I put a piece of glass across all 4 motors and used a bubble level. Still has the issue. It seems to be a hardware issue or else they would all be affected and dji would have addressed it by now.
My hope is that it's not hardware. I'm hoping that they are so busy trying to fix the issues they introduced with the latest firmware that they haven't gotten to this yet. I'm thinking they will NOT release a new firmware version without more significant testing than they did last time because if there were another firmware debacle they would be crucified in the forums. Really bad PR, so perhaps they are taking their time this time. Then afterwards maybe they will move on to fixing the tilted horizon. Wishful thinking I suppose, but that's what I'm hoping.

+1 on the midair gimbal calibration. I did a complete IMU calibration on an air-conditioned chilled phantom and the airborne calibration on the gimbal. No more issues!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I can attest to re-calibrating my P3P's IMU 4x on a level surface. The horizon levels somewhat once in the air, but the bug creeps back in by the end of my flight if not sooner. If I maneuver the copter to facing north or south it appears leveled. I can reproduce the issue over and over.

I've only gotten mid-air calibration to work once--every other time I get a message saying it "failed". However, has anyone tried doing a gimble calibration on a level surface while facing the camera NORTH?

I came across someone's posting on the DJI forums who had success with that, and it made me realize that my success in losing the slanted horizon (after my crash) was that I had (coincidentally) calibrated the camera gimble while facing the camera towards the kitchen counter--to the north...

Mine was cured after the last firmware update, 1.2.6 on my P3P. However, I was out yesterday flying, and noticed it seems to be returning. I did a mid-air cali, but cannot remember which direction it was facing. Didn't help much. I'll wind up doing another cold IMU cali, gimbal cali and then a compass cali. I'm just saying that it can creep back after seeming to be fixed.

I feel your frustratration but your buy and switch scheme would likely not work due to the fact that they have your original serial number on file when you logged on to activate the bird.

I've only gotten mid-air calibration to work once--every other time I get a message saying it "failed". However, has anyone tried doing a gimble calibration on a level surface while facing the camera NORTH?

I came across someone's posting on the DJI forums who had success with that, and it made me realize that my success in losing the slanted horizon (after my crash) was that I had (coincidentally) calibrated the camera gimble while facing the camera towards the kitchen counter--to the north...
Yes, we tried that. Post 13 in this thread mentioned facing North. It worked for @Kman, but so far nobody else has noted that it worked for them.

Actually - coincidentally - my kitchen counter faces north too. Hadn't thought about that until I read it. We certainly become a superstitious bunch when we can't figure it out, eh? [emoji6]

Sent from my PT beating heart

Word has it that you should face it north, while standing on left foot, holding right foot in right hand, with left pinky finger touching nose, while watching episode 4, season 4, of Family Guy. Don't knock it until you've tried it! :D

Reactions: jryser and Oso
Missed Kman's post--I see it's not a universal fix. I get your point snerd, though at least in my case, it seemed the slanted horizon was very directional. In the past, when facing north or south, I never had a slanted horizon, but when facing East or West, I'd get a slanted horizon as though the camera was leaning to the south--so magnetic fields seemed to be a factor.

So has there been any word from DJI on this tilted horizon issue? Hopefully their answer isn't for us to tilt the actual horizon to correct for the problem lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj