Icarus for Phantom 3S

You can Google conversion tables or conversion calculators online, you'll see just to increase your dbm to 28, just one digit higher will have a good impact on your wattage.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I asked the creator of Icarus about the Tx power settings and below I quote their reply :

Dear Mr. xxxx,

thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Concerning the power setting, we do consider 27 dBm a rather safe setting. This appears to be the DJI value used for FCC region so it should be safe to use anyways.

Well - I am an Icarus user and it has done exactly what it claimed to do.
Simply download - decide the level of power you want, check all boxes including Telnet - apply.

What I like - the software is on the tablet - so always available to you, unlike 'other' hack that is on a PC. You don't need to keep it there if you don't want.
I used Magic Power before - first didn't work because I had latest FW - later MP was updated to work. Yes it works - but for less than $5 - I'm totally happy with Icarus.

Anyone who has trouble using Icarus - must be doing something really wrong .... its so simple to use !!

Nigel

Is Icarus any use at all in the US/FCC area?
I am losing my video signal way before control and would like to improve it.

It would give you the ability to change Wi-Fi channels that you currently don't have on the Standard. And I believe with this app you can go up to 30 dbm, which is quite high. Which is higher than FCC mode.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

While I'm leery of boosting the transmitter power (noisy signal and stress on the components), getting the extra WiFi channels in the US would move your usage slightly outside the range of most home WiFi networks. They overlap channels 8 through 11, but you get some bandwidth space.

Channels 12 & 13 are allowed in the US, but only for low power usage. These two channels overlap with channel 14, which is forbidden to use in the US. I don't know what uses channel 14, but some people think it's used for military communications.

Channels 12 & 13 would probably be safe to use out in the woods, but I wouldn't want test them near anything military.
i-RHK3cQc-M.jpg

I can recc'd Icarus.

It works.

The people who wrote it answer questions quickly ...

Nigel

I can recc'd Icarus.

It works.

The people who wrote it answer questions quickly ...

Nigel
Thanks Nigel. I don't doubt it works.
My concern is its usefulness in the US.
Channel 13 might be useful but probably not worth messing with the system to get it.
Think I will go with DBS or ARGtek to get better video and range.

While I'm leery of boosting the transmitter power (noisy signal and stress on the components), getting the extra WiFi channels in the US would move your usage slightly outside the range of most home WiFi networks. They overlap channels 8 through 11, but you get some bandwidth space.

Channels 12 & 13 are allowed in the US, but only for low power usage. These two channels overlap with channel 14, which is forbidden to use in the US. I don't know what uses channel 14, but some people think it's used for military communications.

Channels 12 & 13 would probably be safe to use out in the woods, but I wouldn't want test them near anything military.
i-RHK3cQc-M.jpg

i-RHK3cQc-M.jpg
I guess 13 would be safe to use on my farm out in the country but I question the value in that environment with very little other wifi signal around.

Thanks Nigel. I don't doubt it works.
My concern is its usefulness in the US.
Channel 13 might be useful but probably not worth messing with the system to get it.
Think I will go with DBS or ARGtek to get better video and range.
Yes agree, that's the route I took. Doing hardware mods over the software ones. I did try Icarus once, but that was back in their beginning and it still had a few bugs to work out. I have a DBS on the RC, upgraded antenna on the AC, and also amps powering the DBS. Max to date, 4559 meters.

That's fine if you have USA config ... but many of us have CE and that's the pits !!

Do you want to stay with 16dbm power ?

Nigel

Yes agree, that's the route I took. Doing hardware mods over the software ones. I did try Icarus once, but that was back in their beginning and it still had a few bugs to work out. I have a DBS on the RC, upgraded antenna on the AC, and also amps powering the DBS. Max to date, 4559 meters.
I understand the need for Nigel and the CE folks to use software just don't think we need it.
Now to DBS and ARGtek. I like the flexibility of the ARGtek system to use omni antenna for close in work and the paddles for long distance. How difficult. do you find the fixed directionality of the DBS for close flying?

I understand the need for Nigel and the CE folks to use software just don't think we need it.
Now to DBS and ARGtek. I like the flexibility of the ARGtek system to use omni antenna for close in work and the paddles for long distance. How difficult. do you find the fixed directionality of the DBS for close flying?
Close in flying is not an issue, it's the far out flying that can be a pain. Because close in even if your a bit off, the signal is still strong. But when your out at a long distance and the signal is just holding on, then you move the wrong way and you might just lost the signal. If the Go app would point me in the right direction, always seems to be off up to 35° to one side. It would be so simple to be right on the money. I'm talking about the line on the app that goes between you and the drone. If you keep the map unlocked in theory that line should be vertical on your device when facing the drone. Mine is always off to one side, pain. I've done a compass cal on the device and it does point North using a compass app, so it has something to do with the Go app and my device not being on the same page.

For fcc it
I asked the creator of Icarus about the Tx power settings and below I quote their reply :

Dear Mr. xxxx,

thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Concerning the power setting, we do consider 27 dBm a rather safe setting. This appears to be the DJI value used for FCC region so it should be safe to use anyways.

For fcc its 27 on ac...and 19 for rc. So 27 high for rc. Now what i also want to know ..must it be set at fixed or limit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170209-115756.png
    Screenshot_20170209-115756.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 363
i use Icarus and just set at 27 without limit .... and it works perfectly.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl